SIGforum
Ruger LCR .22 Magnum - any owners around here?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1640048634

January 27, 2018, 12:13 PM
parabellum
Ruger LCR .22 Magnum - any owners around here?
Any issues of reliability? When it comes to rimfire revolvers, consistent ignition is my primary concern- keeping in mind of course that the ammunition itself usually is the culprit.

Comments? 'druthers?
January 27, 2018, 12:42 PM
dusty3030
Don't have the magnum, I do have the .22LR and a .38 version.
The .22LR one replaced my coveted S&W 317. Better trigger and I like the sights better. I've shot a mix of solids and CCI rat shot. I keep it loaded 4 of one, 4 of other for pests.

Can't say I've shot thousands and thousands through it, but I have shot it quite a bit. I do carry it constantly when out and about hunting, fishing or on the farm. I have yet to have a fail to ignite I could blame on the gun. The only ammo it has failed with was some Remington Golden Bullet that does the same in any other .22 I've tried it in. No light strikes. Finish has held up well and it is a pleasure to carry in your pocket.
January 27, 2018, 02:46 PM
sox
Para,

Had one in .22 WMR worked fine. Currently have a .22LR no problems so far ~ 600-700 rounds.

My brief thoughts:
I would love to see a good gel test with side by side of same weapon like LCR .22LR and .22WMR with velocity from similar weapons.

The .22 mags tend to stick worse in the cylinder.

The S&W series 43c / 351c or PD weigh about 3 oz less than the LCR’s. The base trigger in the LCR is better in my opinion.

Good luck. Also, the LCR is available in 3” now as well.

Dave
January 27, 2018, 04:17 PM
VictimNoMore
You thinking about carrying the .22 LCR (as a don’t-have-a-gun gun), or just as a plinker, boss?
The reason I ask is: the S&W 351c makes a better pocket gun, smaller and lighter. In CF calibers, it’s LCR all the way.
I have both (351c and LCR in .327 Fed. Magnum.)
Trigger on anything .22 will be very heavy.
I haven’t had any ignition problems on the 351. You will enjoy the fireballs from a short barrel .22 magnum!
January 27, 2018, 04:26 PM
arfmel
Have one in .22 Magnum. Trigger pull is indeed heavier than the .38 we have. It is pretty large for pocket carry. It has been completely reliable. I wish it held more than 6 rounds, considering the size. Mine is in my bride's possession for snakes and other varmints when she goes for a walk on our ranch roads.

The only advantages it offers over an Airweight S&W J frame .22 is price and a far more durable finish.
January 27, 2018, 04:50 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
You thinking about carrying the .22 LCR (as a don’t-have-a-gun gun), or just as a plinker, boss?
It's not for me.
January 27, 2018, 05:01 PM
RGRacing
Wife uses hers - stout recoil for her but I love it - I carry the 357 and love it as well -

Sticky in the cylinder when it is hot - Never had any issues with either one .. We can share the same holsters.

Loud and fire balls are great -
January 27, 2018, 05:55 PM
VictimNoMore
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's not for me.

Then you should enjoy it. LCRs are great; .22 Magnum is a literal blast.
The heavy trigger is just a small price to pay.
Speer Gold Dots are pretty snappy.
Enjoy.
January 27, 2018, 06:07 PM
Rick_Perry
Para - I've had one for quite awhile. No issues at all. I have over 1000 rounds through it. It's actually a really fun gun to shoot.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
January 27, 2018, 06:53 PM
GeoJelly
Para - I want to add some more positive comments. That said, my LCR is the .22LR version. I have had zero reliability issues with any of the CCI, Win or Rem Golden Bullet loads I have fired in it.

Only two downsides on my LCR; one, the cylinder isn't retained as tightly as any of my S&W revolvers. Just light pressure on the cylinder, on the right side, will flex it out. But, I've not seen any spitting or other problems from it. The other is it's way-too-big B/C gap - .009. That's within spec per Ruger but it's an irritant on a $400 revolver.
January 27, 2018, 07:00 PM
G-Man
I have one that I bought on a whim and my wife loves it so much it has become her daily carry. There is no recoil, great dragon-like muzzle flash, and she puts six shots in a ragged little hole at 7 yards faster than any other gun. She is very confident with it. It has been flawless with every type of ammo we have put through it.
January 27, 2018, 07:25 PM
Sparkyk
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Mine is in my bride's possession for snakes and other varmints when she goes for a walk on our ranch roads.

What type of ammo are you using Arfmel?
January 27, 2018, 08:09 PM
arfmel
CCI shot load up first, with the other chambers loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain.
January 27, 2018, 08:14 PM
SSAreGreat
I have two Ruger LCR .22 WMR and one LCR .22 LR. Shot thousands of rounds out of these revolvers with no problems except once Amscor ammo jammed the gun - Yes a revolver jammed. After firing a round the shell casing end expanded so much that the cylinder would not turn. Only once.

Carry on of the 22 WMR as a back-up with Hornady 22 mag self defense ammo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!
January 28, 2018, 10:08 AM
Stroonz
I purchased a used LCR 22 LR and have put a couple hundred rounds through it. Its been flawless.
January 28, 2018, 07:47 PM
Glock Holiday
Wife has the .22 WMR version and she hasn't had any problems with it. even if you miss it's so frickin' loud the bad guy will probably die of a heart attack..
January 28, 2018, 08:12 PM
parabellum
...or incinerated by the fireball muzzle blast.

Screenshot from Hickok45's video on the .22 WMR LCR. Federal Champion 40 grain

January 28, 2018, 09:03 PM
Sunset_Va

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/wantch?v=LkpLo3FqAWw

美しい犬