SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is the BEST Concealed Carry Handgun Out There
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the BEST Concealed Carry Handgun Out There Login/Join 
Picture of Beretta92
posted
Lately I have been picking up smaller thinner more light weight pistols for concealed carry
I don't have them all YET!
Started with the M&P Shield 2.0, then a Glock 43X then the Springfield Hellcat OSP, then the SIG Sauer P365XL & latest is a Performance Center M&P Shield Plus
Out of all of them the Glock 43X seems to be the thinnest by just a hair, I grab it a lot...
Have made my Springfield Armory Hellcat & SIG P365XL into red dot sights by adding SIG Romeo Zeros to both...
There is no right answer but just wondered what most of you gays/gals make into your #1 EDC
I know this is the SIGForum too = P365
What ever happened to that small little P290 SIG?
One of these days soon I am going to get a small pocket pistol of some kind = Ruger LCP or small 1911 .380 = Springfield 911, SIG P238, Colt Pocketlite, Kimber Micro 380 etc.
Again i know this is the SIGForum but know were a used Springfield 911 is for $325 + another shop has 3 magazines available from SA
Almost wish I could come across a SIG P290RS

Posts: 1861 | Location: Clarksville Indiana | Registered: May 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Among the so-called 'micro 9s' it's the Shield Plus. Best Shooter 4 Me. If it had been around when I bought my P365s, I likely never would have picked up the SIGs. YMMV of course.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Some folks like the micro pistols. Me, I dislike them. My favorite is an M&P 9mm compact with the 3.6" bbl. That's as small as I'll go.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Your going to get a ton of different answers but I would ask how "concealed" do you want to get?
With the right clothing, you could conceal a N frame revolver. 1911's are easily concealed, even a 5".
You could move down to something akin to a Beretta Tomcat or a Ruger LCP II & hide it almost anywhere on you person.
I guess it depends on what caliber & capacity you need (or are willing to go with).
For me, I don't like these micro guns. I certainly get the appeal but they aren't for me. I do carry a BUG in either .32 or .380 but my main EDC is usually a full sized handgun or something considered a compact or Commander sized in either 9mm or 38 Super.
A good belt & holster & the right manner of dress will help you hide almost anything but I'm sure you already know these things. I just thought being more specific would get you closer to the answer your looking for.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the shield plus. The combination of capacity, size, shootability, accuracy, and reliability, gives it the edge over the others in my opinion. A few years ago I would have said G26. Then a few years later the G43 or P365. Today, the shield plus.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ P-07. Best combination of size, capacity, accuracy and reliability. I prefer DA/SA trigger on a carry gun, since thats my training experience.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not law enforcement or prior military, but I watch Active Self Protection alot! I'm comfortable carrying a Keltec P32. The P32 is the smallest and thinnest gun I have. With it, I try my absolute best to avoid risky spots.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one "best" that all will agree with.
Some like me change with the seasons and go smaller in hot weather, larger in cold weather.
I thought my Kahr K9 Elite was about the best for Summer carry until I got the Springfield Hellcat. It's a tad bigger but has more capacity.
All in what you like.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
My grip chopped Glock 19 is absolutely perfect for me with a G17 magazine for a reload.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
For me it’s full sized iwb, and 17+1 and 17 more.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's always as big of a firearm that you can effectively carry, IMO.
The smaller the firearm the better the ability to hide and carry but is always a less effective shooter.
The Shield though small shoots pretty well, it is what I carry a lot now but may move up to the Plus.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It's always as big of a firearm that you can effectively carry, IMO.
This ^^^^^, along with "with which you can shoot well."

For me that turns out to be a 3 in. bbl. 1911 in either 9mm or .45 ACP.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
CZ P-07.

Very nice. The P09 makes a great night stand gun to match your carry. Now that it's getting cooler outside I can start carrying a full size again and use some owb holsters.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the best CC handgun? This is like asking, what is the best underwear ....it depends (pun intended) on the person!

In general the best CC handgun is the largest one that you are realistically going to carry regularly. It has to be reliable. Imo, it really helps if you "like" the gun (whatever that means) ...is it comforting?
Caliber is low on my list because first it has to be on my body when needed. "A 22 in the hand beats a 45 in the glove compartment"

JMO ...mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I try to carry the largest gun that I reasonably can. The clothing I’m wearing / environment I’m expecting to be in will factor into the mix.

I’ve found that I can almost always carry a full-size 1911 and 1 or 2 spare magazines IWB and conceal them effectively. I have other choices available as-needed / desired.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best is a subjective value judgement. There are pros and cons to all firearms. Your question would be appropriate if asked which is the most concealable, which is the most forgiven to a weak grip or ammo, which will keep running is drop in mud or not cleaned.

Aside from that the SIG 365 seems extremely popular. There is a 9mm and .380 version with a new 17 round 9mm version.

Try to find a range with some of the different pistols and try some.

When people ask me for brand recommendations I suggest: SIG, Glock, S&W, FN, HK, and Walther. It all depends what you like and what features you want emphasized.

The brands above are reliable, good customer services, range of after market parts, and many different pistol from which to choose.

If want to simplify your choices, get Glocks and AK's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
The Best concealed carry handgun?

For me - the Glock 19, it's been my primary EDC gun since I switched over to it in 2005.

For my wife, it's a Glock 26 - her EDC gun since she switched over to it in Dec 2006.

For others... whatever they pick...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
It's all subjective to what your body type is, your normal clothing type, what kind of holster, etc. There is no one answer.

For me and "pocket pistols", then my answer would have to be the Kahr cw380 or p380 (basically same thing). Why? Because no matter what I'm wearing, from shorts to suits, the Kahr is small, thin, and light enough to carry in ANY clothes ensemble I have without wondering if anyone is going to notice. Any other pistol, including my small Sig p365, means I have to double check to see if I'm printing. Anything heavier than the Kahr also drags down clothing like shorts.

That being said, I'm only 5'2" tall, so overall size matters more on me than a bigger/taller man. The only pistol in a .380 truly smaller than the Kahr that I've seen is the Seecamp 380, but it doesn't have real sights. None of the other 380's I've handled have the overall flatness and smallness of the Kahr. Yes, it's a bit picky on ammo, but it is reliable with the ammo it does like. With the Magguts spring and follower, it's also a 7+1 shot vs 6+1 of most every other little 380. While I will carry other pistols at times, the Kahr is always on the counter with my keys so I can simply and thoughtlessly grab it and stick in any convenient pocket and never worry about printing.

Also note that if you're particular about carry, then you also have to be particular about overall weight. I use Inceptor 56 grain ARX ammo. Everything else being equal, the only difference is bullet weight. By using this ammo I save .7 ounces of weight versus the same number of bullets in typical 95 grain. This ammo tests in gel well, is reliable in my pistol, and doesn't kick as hard. No it doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between your pocket pistol and your pocket pistol with a bunch of car keys or change in the same pocket, and that makes a noticeable difference in something like loose gym shorts/sweat pants with nothing but a string holding the pants up! I have this pistol configured to work with EVERYTHING I could possibly wear so I never have the excuse to not have it with me.

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Here in California, in most counties, we have a limit on the number of firearms we are allowed to carry, so a lot of thought is put into what we want to list every 2 years.

For me, a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP can cover basically any situation.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
So in terms of small 9mm's I either own or have owned the following.

Beretta Nano (gone)
Glock 43 (gone)
Glock 43X (gone)
Kahr PM9 (gone)
Ruger LC9s (gone)
S&W Shield (still have)
S&W Shield 2.0 (gone)
S&W Shield 2.0 Performance Center 4" (gone)
S&W Shield Plus (still have)
S&W Shield Plus Performance Center 4" (gone)
Springfield Hellcat (gone)
Sig P365 (still have)
Sig P365XL (still have)
Sig P365 X Macro (still have)

For me, the gun I love and carry the most is the Sig P365XL. I shoot it as well as my larger pistols such as a Glock 19 or Sig P320 X-Carry. It conceals easily under a T-Shirt and is comfortable.

The P365 series is my favorite group of micro 9s but I do also think highly of the Smith and Wesson Shield's.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post