SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My new piece of backpacking kit - A long-winded, pic-heavy review of my new S&W Model 69
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new piece of backpacking kit - A long-winded, pic-heavy review of my new S&W Model 69 Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Just curious, as an old handloader of 44 mags, what are your handloading goals specifically for this gun for your use on the trail, for both east and west of the mississpiip ? Just curious. I don't want to bring this up specifically without hearing your plans first. Spoiler alert: I love the 44 mag, and have quite a bit of experience with it.

Well, for around home, probably a .44 Special +P or "light magnum" load...240gr JHP around 950-1000fps. For out on the trail, a heavy hardcast load, probably a 240gr SWC, at around 1200-1300fps, but I'd be open to a heavier bullet, too, as long as it's within the safe capability of the gun. I realize I'm going to give up some velocity with the short barrel, and I'm also not looking to blow myself up by juicing things up more than I should. I have H110, 2400, Power Pistol, Unique, HS-6, Hp-38, and Titegroup on hand right now.

It's a crummy time to get into a new caliber, too...components are hard to come by. I managed to scrounge a couple of boxes of 240gr XTPs, know where there are some 240gr Sierra JHPs, got a box of some cheap cast 240gr SWCs, and I got a mold that drops 212gr LRNFP (supposed to be a 200gr mold, but they drop a little heavy). I've been shooting mostly the 212s at this point, as casting my own is the most consistent affordable source, and they are enabling me to actually put in some time with the gun (in other words, play with my new toy Big Grin).

Posts: 4666 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I think I would go the cheap, easy route and just carry a Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10MM.

Yeah, I considered going the 10mm Glock route, but decided against it. I like revolvers. I'm a handloader, so a gun that tosses my expensive, hard-to-find brass all over the place, bulges cases, and doesn't play nice with cast bullets just isn't a good fit for me. I'll actually shoot and practice with this gun more than I would a Glock, because I can make bullets for it and don't have to worry about losing brass.

Now if Sig ever gets on the ball and comes out with a 10mm P320, it should address most of the issues I have with the Glock, and I'll likely buy one.

I started with .44 revolvers in critter country, but switched to the G20 for the 16 rounds. Also you can slam in another 15 pretty fast. I figure if I am charged by a bear I will be under so much adrenaline I want more than 5-6 rounds to hopefully place a few where they need to go. Underwood solid cast bullets.

Posts: 2915 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post