SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    164 Years Young! (Colt Old Model Pocket Percussion)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

164 Years Young! (Colt Old Model Pocket Percussion) Login/Join 
posted
According to SN, made in 1858. Would be cool to be able to know where it’s spent the last 164 years!

Far from perfect, but on my budget, I’m more than happy with it as a placeholder in the collection for now. At least all numbers match except the cylinder and wedge. Grips are really rough though.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's incredible. How did you come by the gem ?

Posts: 931 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
That's incredible. How did you come by the gem ?

It’s funny(but not funny)…. But the book was a WAY better find than the Colt!

The “market price” on the Jordan book is usually between $150-$180. Like a lot of the best reference books that are out of print, they cost what they cost, and since they are worth every penny if you are trying to do solid research, you just cough up.

Well…. Lurking around ebay I found this one listed to buy at $49, described as “slight damage from coffee stains”. Couple frantic minutes of typing later and I had it on the way, and on arrival found a couple minor spots, and stains on the page edges. Nothing affecting the info inside.

The Colt was just a random gunbroker find. Bad pictures, so not a lot of bidding activity, so I threw in a lowball bid and ended up winning out. Awkward since I had just prior picked up a nice Second Gen 1849 Baby Dragoon, which was supposed to be my budget for a few months… Oops.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand how the budget get's blown out....post a pic of the Baby Dragoon when you can, please. Love the old Colts.

Posts: 931 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Made in 1858 and quite capable still today.

What a great looking Colt. Man if that Colt could talk!

Thank you for sharing this piece of history with us.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Folks had big pockets back then, lol

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty! And the grips sure have aged well. Amazing!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Before the Civil War, the 1849 Pocket was Colt's bread and butter.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Very cool! Folks had big pockets back then, lol

It’s funny… I’m trying to work up a book covering the evolution of “pocket pistols” in the US, and one thing I keep hitting up on is how the definition of “pocket” has changed even more than the definition of “pistol”!

Bill R

posted Hide Post
Awesome find and that pistol is gorgeous. Congrats.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
They must've had awfully big pockets in those days.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the pocket designation came about because the Dragoon and larger Colts were not carried on your person. They were carried in holsters mounted on saddles. Hence the term "horse pistol".
Just a WAG.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it’s big for a pocket, but almost looks like a J frame next to the Walker!

Bill R

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I think the pocket designation came about because the Dragoon and larger Colts were not carried on your person. They were carried in holsters mounted on saddles. Hence the term "horse pistol".
Just a WAG.
Pocket meant pocket. Belt meant belt. They did have capacious pockets and lots of them.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The terms of "Pocket", "Belt" and "Holster" for referring to three different frame sizes of revolvers was a holdover from Colt's Paterson days. Here, you can see a Colt Pocket Model Paterson Revolver No.1, aka a Baby Paterson, which is a true pocket revolver, with a 2.5 inch barrel, .28 caliber.

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=17959141

Another example, engraved, with a 1.75 inch barrel.

https://www.invaluable.com/auc...tm_content=ria041815

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post