SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger 3-screw Super Single Six (1970) .22LR/magnum video for any interested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 3-screw Super Single Six (1970) .22LR/magnum video for any interested Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
This was the second or third firearm I ever shot, IIRC. The first was a Browning BL-22 and I was absolutely terrified of the noise. Turned out not to be that loud and it was all downhill from there. LOL

This was my dad's and is my favorite .22 revolver. I love the super-clickety, bank-vault-solid-lockup action in particular. I have a .22 Magnum cylinder for it but as far as I know back in the day they weren't sold in the "convertible" setup like today where you can get one with both cylinders. The electro-penciled numbers on the front of the .22 Mag cylinder don't match the frame.

For anyone unfamiliar with the older Rugers they have essentially the Colt-style lockup and action (but with coil springs) where you need to load/unload on half-cock and you need to carry them with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Anywho, here's a quick video and shoot for any interested.

https://youtu.be/ekycLyyqbC4

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I have bought two single actions in .22 Magnum in the last six months -a Ruger and a Colt. They are absolutely a hoot to shoot.
And you’re right about the solid feel of the lock work. Something is just right about them.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One of those belonging to my brother and currently in his possession was the first handgun I ever shot. I also owned one but have not had it for some time. His had a semi-fixed rear sight (could be moved for windage); mine, made toward the end of the 3-screw production, had a fully adjustable sight.
quote:
The electro-penciled numbers on the front of the .22 Mag cylinder don't match the frame.

That is how they did it back in the day. Those numbers should be the same as the last three digits of the serial number, if I'm recalling correctly. The extra cylinder is individually fitted to the gun. If in fact the numbers don't match, that cylinder doesn't belong and may not be timed properly.

Posts: 27973 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice handgun and 22 mag. is a great caliber for carrying around the farm.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What serendipity. Your dad had impeccably fine taste!. I know because I still have the same gun in my safe. Fun is an understatement. Let me warn readers, this is going to be a long post. I hope the nostalgia drift isn't boring to you. I've gotten more out of this gun than I ever paid for it,

Mine is a late 1960's blued Super Single Six with a 6 1/2" barrel, .22LR and .22Mag cylinders. Over the years it has had a small number of modifications. Not because they were necessary, but just because I felt like it. Smile

While mine came (early model) with the two cylinders (brand new), there are NO electro-penciled numbers on the front of the .22 Mag cylinder. Just the recessed chambers to differentiate.

I never had the new "improved" transfer bar safety installed by Ruger. It was done in response to a lawsuit Ruger lost to a shooter who plunked a round in his leg. The sound of an old style Ruger or Colt as the hammer is cocked is akin to a harp while entering the pearly gates of Heaven. The revised system also screwed up the trigger pull (by comparison) as well as doing away with the indexing of the cylinder while loading rounds. IMHO, it ranks with blasphemy and heresy in certain religions. I always carried with five.

Modifications I did do: (1) Replaced the original sharp edged front sight with a Ruger OEM ramp style. Drawing from a holster was a PITA with the original. (2) As the gun got older, the blue anodized frame finish began to wear (holster use). Ordinarily, this doesn't bother me. I love "patina". Decided to remove the finish, polish the aluminum and smile. No, contrary to what you read, the gun didn't blow up or fall apart 40 years later. Looks quite nice. (3) Added a trigger shoe. Greatly improved the shooting over the skinny, even though it's not classic SA.

*** NOW FOR THE BEST PART OF THIS LOQUACIOUS POST - THE FUN PART ***

Yeah, it's fun to shoot under just normal conditions. But wait! There's more!

Did a lot of draw/fire with a SD Myres (original) Tom Threeperson style holster. Cocked primarily with the off-hand thumb. Faster and didn't change the grip. Many times I beat 1911 guys in popper style man-on-man drills. Funny to look at their faces.

Used to use it on woodchucks (stalked them) in the Seventies. Got wonderful hits, but the .22Mag wasn't adequate for reliable stopping. Had to get a clean centered head shot. Difficult to do consistently at 50 yards. Went back to .357 Mag.

Almost blew my ear drum out once. No muffs, jumped out of car, snuggled against a utility pole and braced the Ruger (.22Mag) gun hand against it. Fired once, screamed, put gun down, called myself an A--hole. Live and learn.

Defensive shooting group I belonged to always had interesting drills. One night had three targets up, walked diagonally at the targets with two rounds each. I did as well using the Ruger as the 1911's. Accuracy and times.

Bill Ruger was a genius and brought quality guns to the masses. Besides the above, I've owned the following: Ruger SP101 .357 Mag, MK II (2), M77 30-06. Always got my money's worth.

My references to "beating the 1911 guys" is not ego. I WAS a 1911 guy. The purpose was to show that other guns in the right hands can be just as deadly. With poppers, I also used a Seecamp .32 and Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag for the same purpose.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
What serendipity. Your dad had impeccably fine taste!. I know because I still have the same gun in my safe. Fun is an understatement. Let me warn readers, this is going to be a long post. I hope the nostalgia drift isn't boring to you. I've gotten more out of this gun than I ever paid for it,

Mine is a late 1960's blued Super Single Six with a 6 1/2" barrel, .22LR and .22Mag cylinders. Over the years it has had a small number of modifications. Not because they were necessary, but just because I felt like it. Smile

While mine came (early model) with the two cylinders (brand new), there are NO electro-penciled numbers on the front of the .22 Mag cylinder. Just the recessed chambers to differentiate.

I never had the new "improved" transfer bar safety installed by Ruger. It was done in response to a lawsuit Ruger lost to a shooter who plunked a round in his leg. The sound of an old style Ruger or Colt as the hammer is cocked is akin to a harp while entering the pearly gates of Heaven. The revised system also screwed up the trigger pull (by comparison) as well as doing away with the indexing of the cylinder while loading rounds. IMHO, it ranks with blasphemy and heresy in certain religions. I always carried with five.

Modifications I did do: (1) Replaced the original sharp edged front sight with a Ruger OEM ramp style. Drawing from a holster was a PITA with the original. (2) As the gun got older, the blue anodized frame finish began to wear (holster use). Ordinarily, this doesn't bother me. I love "patina". Decided to remove the finish, polish the aluminum and smile. No, contrary to what you read, the gun didn't blow up or fall apart 40 years later. Looks quite nice. (3) Added a trigger shoe. Greatly improved the shooting over the skinny, even though it's not classic SA.

*** NOW FOR THE BEST PART OF THIS LOQUACIOUS POST - THE FUN PART ***

Yeah, it's fun to shoot under just normal conditions. But wait! There's more!

Did a lot of draw/fire with a SD Myres (original) Tom Threeperson style holster. Cocked primarily with the off-hand thumb. Faster and didn't change the grip. Many times I beat 1911 guys in popper style man-on-man drills. Funny to look at their faces.

Used to use it on woodchucks (stalked them) in the Seventies. Got wonderful hits, but the .22Mag wasn't adequate for reliable stopping. Had to get a clean centered head shot. Difficult to do consistently at 50 yards. Went back to .357 Mag.

Almost blew my ear drum out once. No muffs, jumped out of car, snuggled against a utility pole and braced the Ruger (.22Mag) gun hand against it. Fired once, screamed, put gun down, called myself an A--hole. Live and learn.

Defensive shooting group I belonged to always had interesting drills. One night had three targets up, walked diagonally at the targets with two rounds each. I did as well using the Ruger as the 1911's. Accuracy and times.

Bill Ruger was a genius and brought quality guns to the masses. Besides the above, I've owned the following: Ruger SP101 .357 Mag, MK II (2), M77 30-06. Always got my money's worth.

My references to "beating the 1911 guys" is not ego. I WAS a 1911 guy. The purpose was to show that other guns in the right hands can be just as deadly. With poppers, I also used a Seecamp .32 and Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag for the same purpose.
That's awesome. I bet that .22 Mag was LOUD without earplugs. I almost did that the other day but caught myself.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad has one of those. He never sent it back in for some kind of repair or recall. Still has the box and 22mag cylinder.

I expect to inherit it when he passes-but I hope that’s in a few more decades.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
…some kind of repair or recall.

That almost certainly refers to the "safety conversion," which alters the lockwork and adds a transfer bar in order to make the gun "drop safe."

Posts: 27973 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post