SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Pro Series... is it real?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Pro Series... is it real? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
Thanks jljones. RHINOWSO hatred of SIG clouds his thoughts.

My comments were just factual knowledge base and not an indictment of anyone’s opinions.

I personally don’t think Rhino hates SIG, or loves Hipoint, and sold his soul to the devil either way.

Fact of the matter is we live in great times right now. We’ll look back one day and only wish we had squandered them with foolishness.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder that if the Pro is the replacement for the X-Carry, will Sig offer the slide cut outs at all. I see in the picture supplied, it looks like the top slide cut has been eliminated.

I had heard rumors that this was because some law enforcement users were worried that the open slide might be more prone to something getting in and possibly binding the action.

So I'm wondering if all Pro models will be without the slide cuts, or if there will be two models. I think the slide cuts look cool, but I'm not certain how much actual good they do. When the X-Carry was introduced, it was said that the slide cuts lightened the slide to help the pistol's action. If the top slide cut is eliminated, I wonder if Sig could possibly have lightening cuts on the underside of the slide in the works to compensate.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlbuzz:
I wonder that if the Pro is the replacement for the X-Carry, will Sig offer the slide cut outs at all. I see in the picture supplied, it looks like the top slide cut has been eliminated.

I had heard rumors that this was because some law enforcement users were worried that the open slide might be more prone to something getting in and possibly binding the action.

So I'm wondering if all Pro models will be without the slide cuts, or if there will be two models. I think the slide cuts look cool, but I'm not certain how much actual good they do. When the X-Carry was introduced, it was said that the slide cuts lightened the slide to help the pistol's action. If the top slide cut is eliminated, I wonder if Sig could possibly have lightening cuts on the underside of the slide in the works to compensate.

Short answer- No

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess this is why the prices for the P320 X5 and X-Carry have dropped a couple hundred dollars. There are a few great deals going on right now.

The pro line looks great but it is hard to pass up an X5 with 4 magazine's in the $675 range.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The X Carry is going to be discontinued on Dec 31. The Pro is the replacement.
Lotsa discontinuing / replacing....

Not surprising tho.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Sig website has mounting plates for cz75, Glock, hk, and others. But there all for the romeo1 only
I'm sure they are flying off the shelves too. Wink

You can't fault any manufacturer for continuing to develop their guns.

HOWEVER, it would be nice that SIG take a design to a certain point and allow it to have a reasonable life span. I know we live in the age of the 'new iPhone every September' mindset, but the gun world isn't used to that. All these revamps just fills the buyer with disquiet.

And distrust. We're supposed to depend upon these things to potentially save our skins. Confidence is NOT built when prior designs are kicked to the curb with the kind of frequency that SIG NH operates with these days. All it does is cause a buyer to wonder WTF was wrong with it that SIG would nuke it so quickly. Glock doesn't do this. Nor does HK. Only SIG. Sometimes Ruger.

No wonder it's been a while since we've last sold a 320. But it was an X-frame. The old pudgy grip frames just sit and stew, including the M17.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for public stupidity
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. " Gock doesn't do it." You are kidding ...right? The Gen 5 Glock has a redesigned slide, redesigned frame and a different trigger group and you say Glock doesn't do it. Note the Glock is now on it's fifth generation.

Why five if the gun was perfection when the Gen 1 came out. Well the Gen 4's had a habit of cracking and pieces falling off with heavy use might have been one reason for the change. The rear of the slide was changed for the same reason.

If there ever was a gun that is famous for it's marketing and predatory pricing it has to be the infamous Glock.

The Gen 5 Glock is a new pistol design that looks like the older designs but in fact is a completely new pistol.

Take Care

Bob

Posts: 33 | Location: Terrace, B.C. Canada | Registered: April 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
jl, a quick question. What is a pre-tensioned barrel? Is that the heavy bull barrel on the P320 X-Five?

Apologies for the thread drift.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
jl, a quick question. What is a pre-tensioned barrel? Is that the heavy bull barrel on the P320 X-Five?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1730093814

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1730093814

Interesting thread, but doesn’t really answer the question I posed to jljones. I’d like to know what makes the barrel on the P320 X-Five pre-tensioned, and why its barrel is different than the ones on other SIG models.

Jerry, when you get a chance, please elaborate. Thanks.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait a minute. " Gock doesn't do it." You are kidding ...right?

No I'm not. The Gen4 came into being in late 2010. Last time I checked it's still very much being made. Glock did not drop that iteration after a year...or months, as SIG has too often done. If you had actually read my post, my complaint is not that SIG changes things, it's with how they change things as frequently as they do and then wind up dropping earlier designs as a result. For instance the X-Carry came to market this past spring, and now it's due for extinction within a week. If you bought the X-Carry wouldn't that bug you at least a bit?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Why would it bug me? I bought the X Carry and really enjoy shooting it. I really didn’t plan on putting a RMR on it so the new model really does nothing for me. Love the X ray sights, the slide cut out and the grip. I even picked up the Romeo 1 in their sale recently so I can stick that on if I want.

In my experience, it has been a bit more accurate than my P320s.

I am bugged about the pricing...but I didn’t pay retail so it just isn’t as great of a deal.

I even got the grip cut and resurfaced.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

No I'm not. The Gen4 came into being in late 2010. Last time I checked it's still very much being made. Glock did not drop that iteration after a year...or months, as SIG has too often done. If you had actually read my post, my complaint is not that SIG changes things, it's with how they change things as frequently as they do and then wind up dropping earlier designs as a result. For instance the X-Carry came to market this past spring, and now it's due for extinction within a week. If you bought the X-Carry wouldn't that bug you at least a bit?

Glock tells you what is best for you. If they hadn’t have gotten their asses nearly kicked in the FBI contract, there would be no Gen5. Unless someone holds a Glock to their head, they will not innovate. Each time that they stand to lose a market share, they innovate or else.

Glock is nothing more than a choice, no different than SIG or Smith. The Gen4, just like the Gen3 before it, came to market with horrible fleas. Glock in true Glock fashion, blamed the ammo, the shooter, and everything else. Just like they did with the Gen3 and the officers that were injured because the gun would tie up after installing a light. But, again, those were all the fault of anyone but Glock. With that track record, of course they don’t want to change. Slides that fly off of guns and whatnot. I wouldn’t want to either.

Yep SIG has had their issues. The M&P had sear and barrel issues. No one is immune. If SIG isn’t your cup of tea, there are other choices.

www.opspectraining.com

Banned for public stupidity
posted Hide Post
Glock didn;t redesign the Gen 4 on a whim. There are some rather significant shortcomings to the Gen 4 Glocks. Primarily the slide cracking under heavy use seems to be the most significant. As a result the Gen 5 has, as stated earlier, A new slide, new frame and new trigger group.

No changes there I am sure. :>Wink.

It still is an old design passed by the new SIG 320 series, the Walther PPQ and the M&P Gen 2's.

Take Care

Bob

Posts: 33 | Location: Terrace, B.C. Canada | Registered: April 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know you asked someone else, but the answer to your question is that the barrel on the X-five and X-carry is custom fit to the slide and timed in such a way that it stays locked to the breechplate longer than in a normal setup.

This causes the barrel hood to be fully locked to the breech even when the slide itself is slightly out of battery.

The benefit is that the pistol can fire in conditions that would tie up a normal P320, like, say, in contact with the chest of a goblin for instance, and then there is the obvious accuracy advantage, especially when the pistol has a few thousand rounds through it.

The downside is you cannot interchange barrels or slides.

This new “pro model” does away with that custom fit. It’s probably a lot cheaper and easier to build. Perhaps it’s also more forgiving of dirt and lack of maintenance.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Had I known they were coming out with this, I woulda picked one up instead of my standard P320F.

I wonder if they’ll make an x-change kit.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look great!
Can you share who did the grip chop and stipple?

quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Why would it bug me? I bought the X Carry and really enjoy shooting it. I really didn’t plan on putting a RMR on it so the new model really does nothing for me. Love the X ray sights, the slide cut out and the grip. I even picked up the Romeo 1 in their sale recently so I can stick that on if I want.

In my experience, it has been a bit more accurate than my P320s.

I am bugged about the pricing...but I didn’t pay retail so it just isn’t as great of a deal.

I even got the grip cut and resurfaced.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Archer1440, thank you for the explanation.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
The X carry chop and stopped was down by Steady Grind design.

https://steadygrinddesign.com/

The od green was done by boresight solutions.

https://www.boresightsolutions.com/

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not to deviate from the thread, but it would sure bug me. Your comments seem very reasonable. I would like to own a P225 A-1 Classic, but I'm scared to buy one for the reasons you've enumerated. This is a good thread.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For instance the X-Carry came to market this past spring, and now it's due for extinction within a week. If you bought the X-Carry wouldn't that bug you at least a bit?

Not particularly... I have two of them. I'm disappointed that the replacement might be a step or two back (no fitted barrel pre-tension, possibly no target crown, which basically makes it an X-gripped P320 with correctly angled slide serrations, so a slight improvement on the Franken-X 320's one often sees) but, the ones I have should last quite a while.

I don't sell pistols, so the potential effect on resale value is meaningless to me.

Now, if I were in the market for one, sure, I might be unhappy if I couldn't find one before the supply dries up.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post