SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver practice...not as easy as it looks...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver practice...not as easy as it looks... Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

With empties hanging in the cylinder, simply inverting to eject wasn't considered sufficient; slamming the ejector rod forcefully ensured clean ejection. Ideally a reload was behind cover or concealment, not standing in the open, like a target. There was a good chance that the reload was done while moving.

A moon clip beats a speed loader. A speed loader beats a speed strip. A speed strip beats a dump pouch.

Chamfered cylinder beats an unchamfered cylinder.

A second pistol beats a reload.

Jerry Miculek beats everybody.
I guy I shoot with attended a match with Mr Miculek. He was shooting a wheel gun, 625 as the story goes. Mr Miculek was carrying on a conversation while flipping a Loaded moon clip into the cylinder, dumping it back into his hand And reloading. All the while carrying on the conversation. Didn’t even look directly at the cylinder while he was doing it. I thought that was a very cool story of a Master at work.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the way we practiced the reloads in the early 80's, when I was with the Sheriffs department. Take your time and start slow and deliberate, then get faster.

quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
If you had been a LEO in the time of revolver use, here is what you would have been taught:
Holding the revolver in your left hand (assuming you are right handed), push the cylinder release with the thumb of your right hand while at the same time pushing the cylinder open using the 3rd and 4th fingers of your left hand (the 2 between your index finger and pinkie), and at the same time invert the revolver so gravity will assist ejection of empties, as you hit the ejection rod with your left thumb. Your gun will be empty within a fraction of a second.

Keep the revolver in your left hand but now tilted barrel down, and use those same two fingers and left thumb to rotate the cylinder while you feed new rounds with your right hand. If using speed loader no need to rotate the cylinder.

I never see people at the range doing this, because they have never been taught the proper way to rapidly empty a revolver.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnutty:
This is exactly the way we practiced the reloads in the early 80's, when I was with the Sheriffs department. Take your time and start slow and deliberate, then get faster.

quote:
If you had been a LEO in the time of revolver use, here is what you would have been taught:
Holding the revolver in your left hand (assuming you are right handed), push the cylinder release with the thumb of your right hand while at the same time pushing the cylinder open using the 3rd and 4th fingers of your left hand (the 2 between your index finger and pinkie), and at the same time invert the revolver so gravity will assist ejection of empties, as you hit the ejection rod with your left thumb. Your gun will be empty within a fraction of a second.

Keep the revolver in your left hand but now tilted barrel down, and use those same two fingers and left thumb to rotate the cylinder while you feed new rounds with your right hand. If using speed loader no need to rotate the cylinder.

I never see people at the range doing this, because they have never been taught the proper way to rapidly empty a revolver.

When I started in 1991 we were the first class with Glockstore (17 Gen 2’s). I dropped my first mag while they were on their third reload. They also were using semi chrome to clean the rings from the front of the cylinder for inspections. They’re cleaning time was 2-3 hours I heard - mine was about 30-40 minutes.

However at the end of the day - the first gun I bought for off duty was a S&W 640 in .38 Sp.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be fair I’ve been using autos for almost my whole career. I’ve really started to appreciate the revolver. I’m starting some practice time reloading with my 686+ PC. Using dummy rounds I’ve been going through reload drills and I’ve got to tell you it’s not nearly as easy as it looks...

I’ve heard the standard to go for in reloading is 5 seconds...I’ve gotten it down to seven so far if everything lined up right.

Anyone out there have some advice?

I found that there are several ways that significantly helped me reduce the time required to reload my revolvers.

1) Make sure the stocks are not interfering in any way with the loading and unloading of cartridges. This is very important. Many times, the inside-most case will bind where the frame and grip meet. Make sure this is as open as possible.

2) Chamfer the charge holes. There should not be 90 degree angles and sharp edges at the edge of the chamber mouth and the star.

3) Use moon clips with short, stubby cartridges. 45 ACP in a moonclip is really fast, but eight round moonclips of 357 Magnum can be slower due to length and the rounds flopping around. The trick is in the hand movement. Try a little bit of twist clockwise and then counterclockwise. This accounts for an movement of the cartridge in the clip.

4) Economy of motion. This is very important. Your hands should "flow" over and around the gun. I try to maintain a very light touch. I think of it as moving in straight lines between points.

5) Verify your loaders are placed the same every time. Carrying loaders loose in a pocket will slow you down as you fool around looking to orient the loader properly in your hand.

6) Break down the reload into its simple, single movement steps. There are several ways to load a revolver, sometimes revolving around controlling the cylinder. Here is how I do it as a LEFT HANDED revolver shooter:

0) Identify the need to reload.
1) Transfer gun to right hand. Cup under the trigger guard with the left hand and place left hand's fingers on the cylinder.
2) Use right hand thumb to operate the cylinder release while simultaneously turning the muzzle up.
3) Press the cylinder out with the left hand's fingers.
4) With the right hand open and flat, press the ejector rod CAREFULLY and VERTICALLY down to push the empty cases out of the cylinder. Place the inside of the thumb on the barrel shroud (or barrel) and use it as a vertical guide.
5) With the left hand holding the gun up at approximately chin level, rotate the gun so the barrel points at the ground and the cylinder is horizontal and level. At the same time, the right hand achieves a grip on the ammunition. While you are doing this, you are keeping your eyes UP and looking at the target or scanning for targets.
6) While holding the gun at chin level, move the ammunition to the cylinder and let gravity pull the cartridges into the chamber. Operate the loader if needed (moonclips do not require this). If you lack a loader, then drop two rounds into the cylinder.
7) Using the left thumb, close the cylinder. If the cylinder does not close, back off, point the muzzle down, and retry.
8) At the same time as the cylinder is closing, transfer support of the gun to the right hand while pointing the gun in the direction of the target. The left hand maintains a light touch and achieves the shooting grip.
9) The right hand either grips the gun or does something else.

As you can see from this procedure, you have many tasks to complete to reload. You can break many of these steps down further. Go through each motion and look for ways to reduce time and distance of hand movement.

Next, acquire six loaders, the ability to hold at least two, and 36 to 48 AZOOM Snap Caps. One trick is to place a soft mat or blanket on a table to catch the falling cartridges and loaders.

If you use moonclips, do buy 100 or 200 of them from Ranch Products. Also make sure to buy a moonclip mooner/demooner tool and a moonclip fixing tool (it fixes bent clips).

Practice daily. You'll get fast eventually.

Posts: 39 | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is pretty damm accurate ^^^^
Competitively I used Dade Speed Loaders, without a doubt they were the fastest and most dependable. The shape of the bullet will impact the speed (think RN vs. wadcutters). 5 seconds seems like an eternity to me but I’ve reloaded wheel guns using speed loaders 1000’s and 1000’s of times. You’ll get faster.

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: April 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post