SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Elite Owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Elite Owners Login/Join 
posted
LGS got in some P229 Elites in 9mm . $969.00 I own 3 different 226’s but have never handled a 229 . It felt good and solid in my hands .
So to you 229 owners who shoot and carry the 229 do you like it ? Also is the Legion version worth the extra 300 bucks ? Not wanting an optic so the the standard version of the Legion would work .
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s my go to pistol. I carry it daily, shoot outlaw competitions as often as I can, and it runs very well. It has a high round count, but is very reliable.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I own a P228 and a 2019 P229 Elite that was a CPO, P229 9mm Elite is a great gun and just as good as any P228/M11, which is to say top of the line reliability and great accuracy, good trigger out of the box imo

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig P229 is a marvelous, instinctive, highly accurate pistol. I own 6 of them in various forms, in .40 S&W or .357 Sig. At first, I thought the P229 might be too big for concealed carry, but after awhile found ways to make it quite manageable and concealable. I like the fact that in .357 Sig, - as an academic exercise, mainly - you can make good hits out to 150 yards with no problem with the P229. In my humble opinion, everyone should have at least one P229 or P228 in their collection - it's one of the best balanced classic Sigs yet.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love by P229’s. They are easier to conceal than the P226, but I can still get a full grip on it, and they still have great capacity for a carry gun.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just acquired a Legion 229 and the slide is optics ready. Will a Sig Romeo1 Pro mount on the slide with no plate needed ?

Posts: 1 | Location: NE PA | Registered: April 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a P229 Elite in .40 S&W for 14 years as a duty and teaching gun (when I couldn't sneak a P225 onto the range). It was an excellent pistol that I still have and carry occasionally. The only reason I switched to a P226 was that I changed agencies and the P226 was approved while the P229 was not. The CEO of that agency carried a P226, ipso facto it was "approved." If he'd have carried a P229 it would have been approved instead.

The Legion is worth the extra buy-in, mainly because it would cost more to add the additional mods than the extra cost.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstan9615a
posted Hide Post
I own 5 229's no legions. Not impressed with legions. Nuff said.

Posts: 61 | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
The P229 is my go to gun. I like it because it shoots and carries well for me, and think it is a good looking pistol.
My favorite being the P229 Stainless Steel Elite model!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captjj:
I just acquired a Legion 229 and the slide is optics ready. Will a Sig Romeo1 Pro mount on the slide with no plate needed ?

What's the model number? I think the original Legion RX was meant to mount the Romeo 1 (not the Pro). I believe the optics may be the same size but I know for sure they use different mounting screws. Probably worth a call to Sig with the serial number.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried the P229 as my winter carry gun for years. Switched to the P239 for summer carry.

Until I went to the P365 year-round.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmkfive:
The Sig P229 is a marvelous, instinctive, highly accurate pistol. I own 6 of them in various forms, in .40 S&W or .357 Sig. At first, I thought the P229 might be too big for concealed carry, but after awhile found ways to make it quite manageable and concealable. I like the fact that in .357 Sig, - as an academic exercise, mainly - you can make good hits out to 150 yards with no problem with the P229. In my humble opinion, everyone should have at least one P229 or P228 in their collection - it's one of the best balanced classic Sigs yet.

I agree! I absolutely love all my P229’s

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with all the other P229 lovers above. Mine is a P229 DA/SA .40 I bought in 1996. Carried for most of the past 25 years. Originally used weekly on the range in our defensive handgun group, over 47,000 rounds through it. Utterly reliable and accurate. A real workhorse. Only parts ever replaced were a TBS & Hammer Reset Spring.

I did my own action work, installed G10's, Gray Guns Intermediate trigger and Heinie black/black sights. Currently my primary carry gun. Sparks IWB and OWB holsters. Also a PJ Holster Kydex IWB. The "too fat" reputation is solved by the grips and trigger (shorter trigger finger reach) as well as the thin Kydex holster. Carries about the same as my G19's now.

Also have a P226R DA/SA .40 set up the same. The P229 carries/conceals slightly better, Both shoot the same (excellent). Both handle the .40 better than most pistols out there, so the nine ought to be a pussycat. Smile

Can't comment on the Legion, never handled/owned one. Purportedly the DA/SA action is tuned compared to the standard non-Legion versions. If so, that might be worth something. If you find a standard P229 with a good action, I'd go with that for the $300 savings. You can always replace the mainspring (hammer spring) with a 19# Wolff if the actions is smooth.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have an older (late 90’s) P229 with the German frame. For a .40 it’s a well balanced / easy to shoot gun. Funny though I was trying to sell it on GB and no one wants it… some people love them and some hate them…

I bet the 9mm is like butter with the weight on them.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
I have an older (late 90’s) P229 with the German frame. For a .40 it’s a well balanced / easy to shoot gun. Funny though I was trying to sell it on GB and no one wants it… some people love them and some hate them…

I bet the 9mm is like butter with the weight on them.

More likely the .40 part than the P229 part. My LGS does not carry Forties of ANY make and will not accept them as trades. Sadly, it's a 9mm world out there today. I was an early adopter of the Forty and still think it's a fine cartridge. Have four Sigs in .40. Will go to my grave with four Sigs in .40.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
My favorite P229/9 will be in my stable until I'm pushing up daisies. I love it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything a 9 can do a 40 can do better.

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post