SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SA Vickers 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA Vickers 1911 Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
Greetings,

Saw this in a magazine today.

I like LAV and this seems like a pretty solid variant at the price point. Certainly within the reach of more folks than the WC and NH versions.

https://www.springfield-armory...s-tactical-handguns/

https://www.springfield-armory...lass-45-acp-handgun/

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it except the rear sight. Looks like Christian Bale’s Batmobile. Nice to see LAV putting his name on a 1911 I can afford for a change.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
$1495 MSRP. Not bad at all. Bet SA will sell them like hot cakes.
Btw, the mag is only 8-rd capacity, so why such a big protrusion beyond the mag well?

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because a real 1911 magazine is 7 round capacity. There are magazines that squash 8 rounds into a regular length tube, but if you accept a little protrusion the extra spring space makes it more reliable and durable.

Price point; I don't see what you are getting for about $500 over their regular models. Different looks but no better made.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Because a real 1911 magazine is 7 round capacity. There are magazines that squash 8 rounds into a regular length tube, but if you accept a little protrusion the extra spring space makes it more reliable and durable.

Yeah, I know that. It just appears to me to protrude more than other 8-rounders out there, say, like the WC 47D mag.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does. But the 47D was the first protruding magazine and does not add as much as later types.
Plus, the Vickers magazine's floor plate/base pad is hung on the bottom of the tube. Others have a bit of wraparound to disguise the extension.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Surprised no rail but still a nice package.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:

Price point; I don't see what you are getting for about $500 over their regular models. Different looks but no better made.

I'd expect the 'street price to be around $1K...that's not bad for a Springer with that Frontstrap and cocking serrations treatment, sight, and factory-installed Wilson Combat parts.

As to the mag, I dunno, as others have said, manufacturers like WC has put out more flush fitting 8-rounders for some time. Perhaps it makes manually stripping the mag out a bit easier as well.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of the u shaped rear sight, swap it for a set of trijicon sights and I’d try one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11289 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The Vickers magazine is REALLY long for an 8 round mag. I find the 47D is really better as a 7 round magazine (springs last longer and I don't start running into inertial feeds) and I usually go ahead and replace the springs and followers with Tripp Super 7 kits. I'd rather have an absolutely reliable 7 round magazine than an iffy 8. The Wilson ETMs are a little longer and seem bulletproof. I've got a bunch and haven't had any issues yet. The Vickers mag? Well, that just seems like overkill.

But mags are something that everyone (and every gun seemingly) has preferences for. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bow Commander
posted Hide Post
Hallelujah! No front serrations or rail. Now that is a 1911 I'd love to have in my collection. Looks like they gave it ball cuts too.

Posts: 443 | Location: Springfield Oregon | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Straight from the Man himself Cool

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65AtVmEC2Q

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

posted Hide Post
Wonder if the rear sight could be swapped with the ledge-style sight they put on the Ronin?

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Kimpro 7 round magazine is flush fitting, has a removable base plate, stainless steel, under $30 and wonderfully reliable. I am of the opinion that an 8 round .45 magazine should be a bit longer than flush to accommodate extra spring coils. I believe Vickers 8 shot mags owe their extra long length so they have the leverage to be violently ripped out in the event of a particularly bad malfunction.

Just watched the video, with 28 seconds left the sample pistol experienced a hammer follow event. Looks like the half cock notch prevented the hammer from falling the whole way but not a reassuring thing to observe on a promotional video.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post