SIGforum
Would you replace springs on 228 if refinishing?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1490078924

September 03, 2017, 11:21 PM
Woof
Would you replace springs on 228 if refinishing?
I have an older P228 that is kind of beat up but works fine. Every time I see CCR's ad I think it would fun to have it refinished. But if I'm going to do that, should I replace springs or other parts first?

If I recall correctly it's a KB date code. Oh and I have a nicer one that is a consecutive serial number, which is cool. I have the original cardboard box for the nicer one as well. Would that make you guys less inclined to refinish the beat up one? Opinions appreciated.
September 04, 2017, 12:53 AM
YooperSigs
I send my older Sigs back to the factory for Re-hab. Pins and springs are replaced. It is cost effective and you get new sights too.
I leave carry worn finishes as is. If the finish is badly worn or pitted, I have the gun Cera-Coated.
CCR or Coyote Killer here on SF will have your gun looking excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 04, 2017, 06:47 AM
JDG
I would replace with Woof springs...
September 04, 2017, 06:57 AM
Chowser
If you send it in with replacement springs, they can swap them out after refinishing. Sights too.

Not minority enough!
September 04, 2017, 08:27 AM
dusty3030
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
If you send it in with replacement springs, they can swap them out after refinishing. Sights too.

This. They have to detail strip it anyway, just send new parts with it for them when they reassemble.
September 04, 2017, 09:55 AM
patw
Definitely swap out springs. It is cheap insurance.
September 04, 2017, 10:01 AM
DaBigBR
If they're going to have it apart to refinish, it makes sense. It's kinda like replacing a clutch on some cars if you have the engine out.
September 04, 2017, 10:03 AM
NavyGuy
put in the standard parts kit. About $25 from TGS.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
September 04, 2017, 06:30 PM
Woof
Ok cool on the parts kit. TGS is out of stock but Sig website has them in stock. Good point about the sights, too. Any recommendations on sights?
September 04, 2017, 07:16 PM
arfmel
I'd consider sending it to Sig for their SSP, which consists of:

"Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
Complete detailed cleaning
Expert factory inspection of all critical components
Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
Function test
This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness."

The night sights alone would be $120, so this is a pretty good deal. I believe they can also reblue your slide.
September 04, 2017, 10:13 PM
Woof
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'd consider sending it to Sig for their SSP, which consists of:

"Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
Complete detailed cleaning
Expert factory inspection of all critical components
Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
Function test
This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness."

The night sights alone would be $120, so this is a pretty good deal. I believe they can also reblue your slide.

Wow that seems like a good deal. If i was going to send to CCR, have this done before or after?
September 04, 2017, 10:17 PM
jljones
Lots of good suggestions. I'll only add this. My opinion is always the same. Springs are cheap. I replace them often. If you send the slide off, replace everything.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"