SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FrankenSIGs, do you have some that you configured? Not factory ones.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FrankenSIGs, do you have some that you configured? Not factory ones. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I made a single stack P227, and a double stack P220.

The P227 had the RX slide and I wanted to shoot a P220 with an optic.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
I was crashing on Bruce's couch last time I thought about this project. That was 2015. No idea now if I can pull it off. But now I have the locking insert. Into the rabbit hole I go.

Thank you.

I was just kidding when I said "very reasonable price".

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Nothing about this promises to be reasonable. But I'll learn something.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
I’m confused. I’ve never seen a P229 slide that’s marked P228? Was that some sort of prototype slide?

The stainless slide P228's history is detailed >>here<<.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Nothing about this promises to be reasonable. But I'll learn something.

Fingers crossed; that would be very cool. Don't know if you can scare up a Match slide that would work, but I'd be curious as to how much it would need to be lightened to work well with the 9x23, FWIW.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Would it need to be lightened? I don't know. Smaller pill but moving fast.

9x23 Winchester is a preferred round of some open Bianchi Cup competitors. I wonder if the makers of those pistols might have something to say about the issue.

If I get a slide built around 45 ACP, even if I get a custom barrel with a workable outside diameter, the breach face will still be wrong. Seems like I need a stainless slide built around 9mm, which I think I once saw in an overseas catalogue.

Hmm.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ FWIW, Bruce Gray showed some pictures of a .38 Super conversion here a while back based on a stainless .45 Match breachface. Just as a possibility to consider, maybe modification for the 9x23 would work?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Would it be easier to use a slide with a 10mm breachface over a .45 breachface? Then you could just start with a 10mm Legion as a base.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Bruce did a 38 Super conversion with a 45? That settles it.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Best starting point I can think of for you guys would be a slide from a P220 X-Six if you can find the version chambered in 9mm.

Then get a 9x23 Winchester barrel made.

Okay, it can be done, but I didn't say easy...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have long whined that SIG will simply not make 220 9mm conversion units available. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone like Revenant will start making slides?

We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
With a P226 40 - used the uppers for a P226 357 Sig, P226 9mm and P226 22.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
There's this: P220 X-Six 9mm

Just need a frame now.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Yes, but that is for the 'enhanced' version of the X-Six.

I don't think it is compatible with the classic line of P220s.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If you're going to have Grayguns build it for you, you should probably ask them what would be the best parts to use for it. I still think that a P220 Legion 10mm would be the best base to start from. It has the slide for the 5" barrel, the breachface is only 1mm off from the one you want to modify it to and the 9x23mm round will fit easily in the 10mm magazines. All you would need after the slide mods is the aftermarket barrel.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Was wanting a SAO 220-10 but without adjustable sights.

So bought two and made one.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
Lots of nice pistol on this string but the Stainless P228 rules the day.

Where could I find those grips?

Those aluminum grips have been out of production for years. They came on the original Elite Dark guns and the P220 MSE, then SIG subsequently offered them on the parts market. Not Hogue, no one knows who made them for SIG. They are hen's teeth, now. Last month, I saw a used set sold for $200 on another board.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
More home configured FrankenSIGs:

Q