SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PSA JAKL vs traditional DI upper for .300blk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA JAKL vs traditional DI upper for .300blk Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
Anyone have any input on which you would prefer for a 10" .300blk pistol? I like the idea of the piston upper, especially with the ability to have a folding brace, but is it enough of an advantage for the significantly increased cost? For the moment I don't have plans for a suppressor and would likely stay with supersonic ammo.

Posts: 11375 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don’t think the added weight, cost, and complexity of a piston upper has much value for .300 BO, especially if you have no intention of running a suppressor. As for the importance of having a folding brace, that’s a personal thing with how you intend to carry it.

Posts: 3355 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I bought the 9" barreled "Pistol" JAKL and went through the time and effort to SBR it. I added my Dead Air Sandman "K" and it shoots like a dream with either subsonic or supersonic ammo. Very quiet and not gassy at all.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10223 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are staying with supers and have no plans to use a can, you can squeeze some more performance out of a 16" barrel (most of these still use a pistol length gas system). If you want to have the option to suppress or run subs, the 8-10" barrels are a sweet spot and will run very well with a DI setup from a reputable barrel mfg.

I've used both KAK and Ballistic Advantage .300 BO barrels (with and without) adjustable gas setups. You should be able to run both subs and supers without issue on a 10" barrel with pistol length gas system. Some of the carbine length gas guns in this caliber can be finicky (have personally had issues with a BCM upper with carbine gas).

I've not tried a Jakl upper, but DI uppers will run .300 BO reliably. You probably don't need a Jakl or BRN180 unless you absolutely have to eliminate the buffer for a folding stock/brace.

Posts: 728 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll be that guy: If you have no plans to suppress it, why go with a .300BO instead of 5.56?

Posts: 17334 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input all.

Was thinking .300 as it seems to give up less with 6" shorter barrel than 5.56.

Posts: 11375 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I guess I'll be that guy: If you have no plans to suppress it, why go with a .300BO instead of 5.56?

Fair point. However an 8-10" .300blk with subs, suppressed or not, makes a handy home defense gun imho. Better suppressed certainly, but I'd still prefer it unsuppressed for this role over a 556.

Posts: 1747 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post