SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 48 MOS, Shield Arms mags or OEM?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 48 MOS, Shield Arms mags or OEM? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have a Glock 48 MOS that I really like and I’m in need of mags. As I only have 2, now is the time to decide one way or the other. I’m usually an OEM mag person for serious use but I’ve heard good things on the Shield mags and mag catch.

Question:
Shield Arms mags or OEM?

Choices:
Shield Arms
Glock OEM

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...-round-magazine.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I know several people here that use Shield Arms mags with their carry G48’s. They seem happy with the quality.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have the shield arms mags and the metal release latch on a G43X. 100% confidence.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I dumped my Shield Arms mags after a coworker had significant issues with his. He had multiple mags that started having issues. He couldn't get more than 4 consecutive rounds off without a malfunction. He had their metal mag catch and mags with and without their extension. The ones without the extension ran a little better than the ones with it but they still had issues. He switched back to the factory mags and didn't have an issue. Seeing that was enough to scare me away from them.

He had many flawless rounds through the gun with SA mags before they started messing up. ilI ditched mine before they developed issues.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I would avoid the shield mags. The new PSA mags look promising. A guy on Facebook got one and sent 700 rounds down range without any issues.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My opinion is fairly useless as I don’t have practical experience, so grain of salt and all that.

I will say that I have been casually following the Shield Arms mags from inception and for all the folks that seem to have great luck with them there seems to be a fair percentage of folks who have issues with them. Some of those issues don’t seem to exhibit until after a few hundred rounds or so.

I’ve also seen Shield, to their credit, try to constantly run down issues (new springs, mag catches, generations etc.) but this still makes me think not ready for prime time.

If it were ME and ME ALONE based on all I’ve read I’d stick to rock solid reliable 10 round Glock mags. I think there is enough variability in both Glock 43x/48 dimensions and Shield Arms dimensions that the tolerance stacking can simply be too great and some gun mag combos will work great while others will not. In a truly defensive firearm that’s not something I want to think about.

Be interesting to see how the Palmetto magazines fair as I imagine they will have a fairly high take rate fairly quickly.

Again NO PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE. I am only speaking as somebody who has mulled over what I would do and I keep coming back to OEM Stock makes far more sense.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No operational problems with the Shield mags and its steel catch with my G43X, other than the the catch doesn't play nice with the standard factory mags...and that I don't have enough Shield mags for the gun and can no longer legally buy them in my lockdown state of WA.

With my TWO Shield mags, I now has at least 500+ rounds through each of them, mostly range ammo but also some assorted HST loads as well. Seriously regretting to buy more prior to the clampdown last year, even though I now use a S&W Shield+ as my secondary EDC. Frown

EDIT: I should add that I don't have a feel on what the lifespan of the Shield mag spring is. That's ANOTHER problem; WA won't allow me to order replacement parts for "non-compliant" cap mags. So for me my limited supply of Shield mags is really a dead end until the laws here are ruled unconstitutional.

C'mon Benitez...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the 48 for its light weight and flat shape. I am good with 10 rounds. If I need more rounds, I carry the G19.
OEM mags in both for me. I might try out the PSA mags.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Shield Arms mags. I have maybe 10 or 12 for my 43X MOS, including one with their +5 on it. They have never failed me. I suggest running a bunch of ammo through them to ensure that they function correctly in your gun, since there are definitely those who have not had my results. To me, the SA mags make the 43X/48.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three and a 48 and they've been working so far. If they start having issues I'd likely relegate them to training and go with the OEM which would limit my interest.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If I had to run a G48 with the stock 10 round mags, I'd sell off and buy either a Hellcat Pro, or a P365 XMacro (I'd go without the comp, but either is fine.) The G48 is too big a gun to only carry 10+1

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No G-48, but there's 2 G-43x' laying about.

I got the Shield Arms 3 pack with the mag release. I wish I got the 5 pack!
A few hundred rounds through the gun with the Shield mags, and not a problem at all!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had any issues with my shield mags in my 43x I've probably ran 400-500 rounds through it. Sorry no experience with 48.

That being said, I don't carry my 43X but if I did I would carry factory 10rd magazines because I don't like carrying aftermarket mags. Just a personal preference for me.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
If you want to use Shield magazines I say go for it with the caution that you thorough test your particular magazines with your particular G48 and your defensive ammo thoroughly to make sure they’re 100% reliable. I’ve seen the same Shield mags run fine through one gun but not another. Or just use OEM for 100% reliability which is what I’d personally do.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I have a 48 and have two of the shield arms mags and their steel mag release. Nearly 500 rounds down range with no malfunctions of any kind. About 75 rounds of Speer gold dot. No issues either.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've set my 48 up to use Shield Arms mags. But I haven ran enough rounds through them to be confident enough to carry it.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
A few of us have been using shield mags for awhile. I’m the only one that changed my mag catch. But the others mainly carry and rarely shoot their guns. I have had no issues. I’m waiting for PSA to start selling their Micro Dagger and 15 rd mags. I will grab a few to try.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
No issues with my Gen1 or Gen2 Shield mags.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I ended up sticking with factory Glock mags.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post