SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question Re: OEM SIG P226 9mm 15-Round Replacement Mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: OEM SIG P226 9mm 15-Round Replacement Mags Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Are all OEM SIG P226 replacement mags created equal? I've located a number of NIB MAG-226-9-15's in various forms of factory packaging ranging from simple sealed plastic bags to SIG's fancier cardboard boxes. May I assume these are all no-nonsense, phosphate finished utility mags which are good-to-go? Who is the current contractor? The mags are intended for a KF coded P226 I plan to shoot. Thanks for your input!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
For P226 Mags, I prefer either the SIG 15 rd. 'German Dovetail' Mags (obviously available NOS only at this point), or the Mec-Gar AFC 18 round Flush Fit Mags, which are current production, but currently SOLD OUT w/ Greg Cote.

The current OEM contractor is Checkmate. They had issues w/ reliable feeding at one point which I assume has been resolved, but I won't buy them.

Regardless, the Mec-Gars are functionally superior IMO and certainly the best value at $25.95. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Excam_Man & nhracecraft, that's the exact info I need to make an informed decision. Thanks!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I saw someone experience problems with the then-newly introduced P226 Checkmate magazines in 2011. Since then I haven’t seen or even read of any reliable reports of problems with them. The ones I own work fine.

Amazing how things linger on. Someplace I have an article by Massad Ayoob from the last century about the problems with early Glock magazines, including the fact that they would disassemble themselves if dropped. Should I avoid buying a Glock today because of that problem? (I will probably never buy a Glock, but not because of that issue.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have a variety of German, Italian, & USA made P226/228/229 mags. They all work fine. I go w/ whichever I find the best deal on, which is usually Mec-Gar aftermarket. You pay a premium for the "Sig Sauer" rollmark and even more so for the triskelion.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with Checkmate mags was the US military requirement for the finish. In the ME, it did not shed sand well and caused numerous malfunctions. Checkmate warned the army procurement process about the finish, but the arms would not change the requirement.

The Mec-Gar mags have a glossy finish, so stays cleaner.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer my original German made SIG P226 dove tail mags and the zippier back P228 mags over all others. Thye have functioned flawlessly for me over 25 years of use.

I have not had very good luck with MecGar or checkmate mags.

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
As for the Checkmate USA made P226 mags that came with my Legion and MK25, they have been 100% for me. I have also purchased 6 of them as spares and same, they have all been 100%. All of them have a smooth finish (similar to HK mags) inside, not the troublesome phosphate finish that the government initially spec'ed for the early M9 contract magazines.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you want German mags to correctly match your KF German P226, then they should be the neutered 10-rounders, not the dovetail back 15-rounders. Otherwise, just get the less expensive but functionally equivalent Mec-Gar 18-rounders for shooting.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If you want German mags to correctly match your KF German P226, then they should be the neutered 10-rounders, not the dovetail back 15-rounders. Otherwise, just get the less expensive but functionally equivalent Mec-Gar 18-rounders for shooting.

Q - hi! Unlike most of my previous SIG P-Series pistols, this KF P266 is actually going to be a shooter. It certainly sounds as though the Mec-Gar MGP22618AFC's are the preferred go-to for function, price and utility. Thanks!