SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well worn Berreta 96 rattled--new springs put in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well worn Berreta 96 rattled--new springs put in Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
My buddy brought over his Berreta 96 complaining that it rattled when he would twist/turn the gun. I ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff--14lb. Wolff includes a new firing pin spring. Took the slide completely apart--thank god I do this work in a large plastic box with magnets to catch the flying springs. The extractor had a lot of carbon/crud caked under it. The firing pin in a Berreta is beefy--can't see this pin breaking. Firing pin also had a lot of discoloration, firing pin was stuck inside the slide. A good cleaning--new firing pin spring in place.
Safety on a Berreta is foolproof. Firing pin is completely blocked when the safety is engaged.
New recoil spring installed--factory is 13 lb, I put a 14 lb in place.
He's not sure of the round count. He said it feels like a brand new gun.
Now I have to take my Berreta's to the range..

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That gun is a really good design. They stand up to a lot of use, and shoot well.

I have always been quite fond of them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berettas are my favorite. I don’t always shoot them the best but they just nail the combination of reliability, accuracy, and ease of maintenance.

No metal gun that’s hammer fired is as easy to tear down. The only thing that ever gives me issue is replacing the sear spring. It always takes me a bit of luck to get it in on the first or second try.

Lots of people would have swapped the locking block as well. Springs and locking block is pretty much a new gun. (even though the newest gens of locking block don’t seem to break so often anymore).

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

No metal gun that’s hammer fired is as easy to tear down.

Do you find the slide/safety/decocker easy to tear down compared to a P226 or CZ75 pattern? IME the Beretta is a nightmare with all those tiny blind pins holding the safeties together.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the main spring or hammer spring ? If it's factory stock it is probably 20# and will benefit from a "D" spring (16#) that will make a huge difference. Always good to take those grip panels off to clean the gunk in there while you change that spring. 10 minute job if you take your time.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

No metal gun that’s hammer fired is as easy to tear down.

Do you find the slide/safety/decocker easy to tear down compared to a P226 or CZ75 pattern? IME the Beretta is a nightmare with all those tiny blind pins holding the safeties together.

Taking the safety apart/decocker apart is going far beyond a tear down. They are dead easy to tear down.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 96 is the gun that convinced me that the .40 cartridge wasn't a complete lost cause. It felt overlarge in my hand but was amazingly accurate and soft recoiling, with the sights easily returning onto target. Also highly resistant to jamming

I had Ernie Langdon do a trigger job on it during one of his 2-day classes and he added his trigger spring (slightly lighter than the "D-spring")

I finally noticed that the recoil spring was shot when it started ejecting cases several feet into the air...replaced it and the guide rod at the same time.

The only weakness, besides capacity, is that racking the slide with an overhand grip will push the safety into the on position. A replacement with the "G" de-cocker addresses that

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
The Beretta 96 is the gun that convinced me that the .40 cartridge wasn't a complete lost cause. It felt overlarge in my hand but was amazingly accurate and soft recoiling, with the sights easily returning onto target. Also highly resistant to jamming

I had Ernie Langdon do a trigger job on it during one of his 2-day classes and he added his trigger spring (slightly lighter than the "D-spring")

I finally noticed that the recoil spring was shot when it started ejecting cases several feet into the air...replaced it and the guide rod at the same time.

The only weakness, besides capacity, is that racking the slide with an overhand grip will push the safety into the on position. A replacement with the "G" de-cocker addresses that

You mean hammer spring, right ?

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t take much to improve the performance of a 92/96. Well done

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta 96 Brigadier Elite II. Sweet shooting gun.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me there is only one reason to take down the safety on a 92. That is to convert it to a G model decocker only. I do this one time to every gun and I see no practical reason to ever do it again. In reality it’s still not hard. It is easy to launch the tiny spring and decent but I’m a do it in a ziplock bag kind of guy. So yes I think it’s significantly simpler to tear down than Sig’s and CZ’s. The old sear cage on a CZ decocker is enough to drive you crazy until you do it a few times. After about 5 of those I got good at it. Not having done it in a couple years I cringe at the thought of doing one again.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While you’re at it buy all the parts you can from LTT, especially the G conversion, D spring, steel trigger and trigger bar. You won’t regret it and it really makes the beretta shine

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

You mean hammer spring, right ?

Yes, you're correct...having a senior moment...the mainspring

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post