SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Current Maryland Law Question Regarding Inheritance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Maryland Law Question Regarding Inheritance Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I know MD now requires an HQL, that comes with a training requirement and fees blah blah to purchase, but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

I have friend who will, sadly, shortly be inheriting Charter Arms .38. How does this kind of transfer happen legally in MD these days? All parties are well over 21, legal to own anything, etc. Is this just a hey we found a gun in the nightstand we just take it home (all the inheritance estate is going to one person) like a family member giving it to you or do they have to go through some kind of transfer rigamarol and HQL process etc.

I am only looking for the broad strokes and am not looking to hold anybody to “legal advice”. Just want to point them in a direction.

Thanks so much.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Can't answer, but am clarifying that both the person who died and the person inheriting are residents of Maryland?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK This right here says that inherited handguns are exempt from MD Public Safety Title 5, Subtitle 1, provided the heir forwards a completed application for purchase or transfer to the Maryland State Police:

§ 5-102. Scope of subtitle

From what I can tell, it looks like you can register for an account and submit the application here:

MSP Licensing Portal

I believe you will be filing a Form 77r online. But you will not be required to go to the MSP barracks or pay any fees.

Handgun Qualification Licenses fall under § 5-117.1. which is under Title 1, Subtitle 5. So I think that an inherited firearm is exempt from the HQL requirement.

§ 5-117.1. Handgun qualification license required to sell, rent, or transfer handguns

I AM NOT A LAWYER AND NOTHING I STATE SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you much.