SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grab a Sig 232?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grab a Sig 232? Login/Join 
posted
Came across a stainless 232 in the shop. Case and 2 mags. Consignment gun at 800. Felt good in the hand. No wear that I can see.
See that extra mags are pricey and rare.
Had a Walther ppks some time ago. Didn;t like that you could not lock the slide back manually.
Not sure I'd carry it. Just a shooter and collectable?

Posts: 1668 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mike56,

That's a decent price for a nice pistol. Personally, I like the 232 and would carry one if it were not for the .380 ACP caliber...

Wes

Posts: 2443 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Came across a stainless 232 in the shop. Case and 2 mags. Consignment gun at 800. Felt good in the hand. No wear that I can see.
See that extra mags are pricey and rare.
Had a Walther ppks some time ago. Didn;t like that you could not lock the slide back manually.
P230/232 is the same way if it matters to you. Heel mag release also. Ergos are way better than PPK, decocker way better, OEM grips better, looks just as sexy. Stainless should have a bit less sharpish recoil compared to the blued/alloy version like I have.

Personally I wouldn't pay $800 for one unless I really loved it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3244 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have a p230 and it is the only pistol I have had a problem limp wristing.
Was told of a sheriff's dept that had issued them to command staff and several of the staff also had limp wristing problems.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They looked cool when I was first seeking the ideal carry weapon (1990's), and they had a better reputation than the PPK, another one that looked cool.

I'm glad now that I didn't buy either one as an actual carry gun option. I'm not a collector and there are so many better options out there today.

Posts: 9641 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t pay that much for one unless it was unfired in the box with all factory googaw AND I needed to round out a collection. As a carry option, there are too many micro-9’s that not only have a significant bump in capacity but are less snappy, smaller, and more affordable.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15682 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not one of my favorites to shoot; not even close. But it's a SIG, and old school at that. I confess that I still like mine even though its blowback nature contributes to a level of snappiness that even all of that heavy stainless beauty SIG put into this gun does such a poor job of taming. On the other hand it's pretty good at being a physics class project to illustrate the principle of efficient and effective energy conductivity.

Locking lug micro 9s have less recoil snap. Hell, I prefer shooting almost all of my locking lug .40s over ANY of these German blowback .380s. For me $800 is too much to pay for a gun I won't shoot very often and certainly won't carry, but of course YMMV. Something less than $550 was my breaking point, albeit that was a few years ago. It's yours to decide if it's a must-have for another $250 more. The SIG is a pretty one indeed, and that's about the only saving grace it offers to me. It's odd that my similar sized el cheap-o Thunder 380 doesn't put as much of that palm-sized shock and awe into my hand than the PPK, PPK/S and P230/232 each do. Aw, those Germans and their damn efficiency...

-MG

Posts: 2068 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 230 and it was my favorite CCW for years. It’s a terrific gun to hold and carry. It feels great but it’s not terribly fun to shoot. That’s usually the case for most carry guns though. I never experienced the limp waisted stuff but that’s subjective. It’s still one of the best looking guns I own. I’m not sure I would pay $800 though.

Posts: 99 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P230 is the only firearm I’ve bought purely for looks, but it has to be in stainless. As mentioned above, there’s a bunch of micro 9s that are smaller, lighter, more capacity, better caliber, and better recoil.

I don’t see the P230/232 as a collectible. But you never know. If it’s pristine, it might be worth the money; that’s up to you. I got mine as a PD turn in and did a little clean-up/refinishing myself. It’s definitely not pristine, but it’s still nice looking. I got mine for $375 almost 10 years ago now. $800 is a bit much for a range toy to me.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1862 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I have a 230, that was originally blued.
Its well taken care of and had it cerakoted in xopper and i carry as a shoulder holster in the summer months. 380 is not my preferred but its a nice pistol, well made and tight. $800 is ridiculous in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5306 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I too find that price a bit steep. At that price it would need to include 3-4 magazines and a holster or two.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4544 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several (P230) and recently sold a blued version with the aluminum frame. I do think it is one of the sweetest most aesthetically pleasing firearms ever made. There are many newer and more appealing firearms today for CC, but the P230/232 is still very capable for that role. I find 380acp to be very mild and controllable even in blowback form as long as your hands don’t get bit by the slide. The price is definitely on the high side.

Posts: 2996 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
800 bucks for a gun with no service or magazines. No thank you!

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The P230 is the younger sister of the Italian beauty 92.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8748 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mags, no box, 800.

Hard pass.

Posts: 370 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post