SIGforum
Can an aluminum alloy frame be welded?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1370055634

January 21, 2018, 02:38 PM
WaterburyBob
Can an aluminum alloy frame be welded?
I've got a somewhat rare S&W Recon 40 pistol that has a cracked rail right by the slide stop hole.
Can that be welded and the rail re-milled by a competent gunsmith, or is this now a parts gun?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
January 21, 2018, 02:57 PM
arcwelder
It could be rewelded, but the anodize would have to be stripped and reapplied. The area you mention is a stress point, the weld will introduce new stress, a repair like this will typically not ever look unaltered. Especially with remachining the rail, which sounds like it might happen.

It's possible, but not probable. Additionally, not sure that the expense will be worth the result, and any value of the gun would be gone anyway.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

January 21, 2018, 04:04 PM
WaterburyBob
Thanks, Arc.

That's pretty much what I thought; I wanted to see if I was mistaken.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
January 21, 2018, 04:41 PM
Dusty78
I wonder if the real performance center was still around if S&W would help you out? Do we be pistol show hard use otherwise?

January 21, 2018, 04:43 PM
arcwelder
The limit is the hardness of the weld repair, just for starters. There isn't really a good way out.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

January 21, 2018, 06:21 PM
ceptor781
As far as S&W goes the gun will be deemed unrepairable most likely. I just went through this with a PC4563CQB, cracked rail back through the lug. Their response and follow through was outstanding but they couldn’t repair the gun.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
January 21, 2018, 06:49 PM
220-9er
Are they 7075? If yes then you can’t weld.

January 23, 2018, 11:59 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I've got a somewhat rare S&W Recon 40 pistol that has a cracked rail right by the slide stop hole.
Can that be welded and the rail re-milled by a competent gunsmith, or is this now a parts gun?

Send it to S+W. I believe the gun should have a lifetime warranty from S+W. Usually S+W also sends a prepaid fedex shipping label as well. Call them and ask.
January 24, 2018, 06:17 AM
sigarms229
quote:
Send it to S+W. I believe the gun should have a lifetime warranty from S+W. Usually S+W also sends a prepaid fedex shipping label as well. Call them and ask.

I've read on multiple forums that S&W no longer supports the metal framed guns (1st,2nd and 3rd gen). Never hurts to call though. I have heard that depending on the issue they might "replace" it with an M&P.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
January 24, 2018, 10:04 AM
Southflorida-law
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I called S&W on a cracked 3913. They said it was dead, no fixing it.

and "lifetime warranties" are usually limited.
January 24, 2018, 01:55 PM
ceptor781
I’d give S&W a chance. Go through the email, on the phone I kinda got the pass the buck treatment. Via email they followed up with a shipping label and sent the gun in. They could not repair the gun but they did replace it. And not with an M&P.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
January 24, 2018, 02:09 PM
Jim Watson
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
I called S&W on a cracked 3913. They said it was dead, no fixing it.

and "lifetime warranties" are usually limited.

Like the guy who took in a failed product and was told it would not be fixed or replaced.
He said "But it has a lifetime warranty."
Clerk said "Obviously its lifetime is over."
January 24, 2018, 05:55 PM
WaterburyBob
I'll try contacting S&W, but I don't have much hope with that.
I have also heard of numerous people trying to get metal frame pistols repaired only to be told that they don't service them any longer. On top of that, I'm not the original owner, and I believe that one of the stipulations of the "limited" lifetime warranty limits it to the original owner.

January 24, 2018, 06:23 PM
ceptor781
Email sent.

January 24, 2018, 06:25 PM
WaterburyBob
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Email sent.
Thanks.

I'll contact S&W and see what they say.

January 25, 2018, 09:12 AM
Editor
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

You have e-mail, sent to the address in your profile.