SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 MK25 or P226 Legion in 9mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 MK25 or P226 Legion in 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,

Coming back into the fold after a long hiatus, this question has probably been answered in some archived thread. Nevertheless...

I have an older W. German P226 that I'm considering trading in for a newer, MA-compliant P226 with a rail. (I want a light on a 9mm for home defense.) While the standard P226RM will suffice, I'm wondering about upgrading to a MK25 or Legion. I understand and appreciate the value of the Legion, thanks to Ferrari Steve's upgrade videos, but I am unfamiliar with the finer points of the MK25.

I would welcome your thoughts on the P226 MK25 vs the P226 Legion in 9mm.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had an MK25 for about four years. It is a terrific pistol, easy to shoot, very accurate, and I am very happy with it. It has Siglite night sights, but no short reset trigger. The physical differences specific to the MK25 are the corrosion resistant internals and the rather dorky UPC label on the side. I am sure the standard railed P226 is just as terrific, just as accurate, and just as easy to shoot. But the corrosion resistant internals, to me, were worth the small bump in price.
The P226 Legion will have slightly better sights, a short reset trigger, the special Legion finish (which on my P220 is more of a greenish brown than a grey), no corrosion resistant internals, and no dorky label. Only downside on the Legion is the variable quality and longevity of the finish reported by some, but certainly not all, Legion owners.
I really can't steer you one way or the other on the choice. You could get close to the feel of a Legion with the addition of a short reset trigger on the MK25. Also, I would be hesitant to get rid of a West German P226unless you are out of room in the safe.
Good luck. And know that whichever you choose, you won't regret it.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
While you won't have any problems selling a West German P226, just keep in mind that those are getting less and less common, and you might regret selling that one day. Smile

As for the MK25 and the Legion...you can probably find the info on all of the upgrades offered by the Legion series. The only upgrades from the MK25 from a standard P226R is phosphate-coated internals, a chrome-lined barrel, a 1913-style rail (vs. the Sig standard rail) and the anchor and other markings on the pistol. Unless you really want the collectible factor of the Navy Seal pistol, or if you're planning on taking a saltwater swim, there isn't much reason for an MK25 over the P226R. The MK25 does not have a short-reset trigger, but those kits can be had for around $50, and it's not too difficult to install on your own. The Legion includes the short-reset trigger. (And this is an upgrade that all of my P-series Sigs ALWAYS get.)

Also note that a standard P226R holster will not work for a MK25 due to the 1913 rail. Many holster manufacturers will make one for the MK25, but it is a different mold.

Having owned a Legion P-series pistol, I believe that the extra bells and whistles are a nice upgrade to a standard 226R.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Thoughts: My first SIG was a German P226 back around '86. It was the first in a succession of 226s I owned. I carried a German 226 every working day for several years. Never an issue of any kind, so I admit a bias in favor of the German guns. But, they don't have a rail, and if you really need a rail I understand considering trading.

Reference the MK25, I own a MK25 but have only handled a 226 Legion. My MK25 is a few years old, has the short extractor and M1913 rail I prefer, etc.,but as mentioned did not come with the SRT. I added the SRT to mine. The Legion I examined did have different features than the MK25 and other 226s, but I confess I was unable to appreciate the overall wonderfulness of the Legion. Kind of like the Colt Custom shop pistols I owned, i.e., nice guns, different features, but not necessarily a higher quality pistol than the standard production guns. On the Legion I handled, the slide frame fit was no better than the other US SIGs I've handled; comparable to the loosest German SIG I've ever owned, the DA and SA trigger was unremarkable. Checkering, finish and grips are different,etc. So IMHO it comes down to "features". If a prospective buyer prefers the Legion features, I'd say go for it. I understand you get a coin too if you buy a Legion.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d keep your older 226 and look for a discounted base R model (or CPO unit). Then plan to add decent grips and the SRT kit. To me, the MK25 would need the same upgrades despite its higher price.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my 1 cent in....

Never get rid of a gun, especially that German p226 you have... unless it is just plain illegal in your state.

MK 25 is unique but the pistol does not quite meet the hype (I have one and like it) So, I'd go with the legion,,,, (have one of those too!)

Finally, as for you wanting to put a light on a pistol.. (I've been told more than once I'm full of it about this) I think it is the worst thing you can do.... a recipe for disaster.... I've heard that it is okay if you are properly trained.. but still.
Gun Safety Rule: Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy.... can you absolutely guarantee that you will not turn that light on until you are sure of your intended target at night while walking around with adrenaline pumping through you?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have had a MK25 and two Legions - a DA/SA, and the SA only model. My choice would be the SA Only Legion.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Finally, as for you wanting to put a light on a pistol.. (I've been told more than once I'm full of it about this) I think it is the worst thing you can do.... a recipe for disaster.... I've heard that it is okay if you are properly trained.. but still.
Gun Safety Rule: Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy.... can you absolutely guarantee that you will not turn that light on until you are sure of your intended target at night while walking around with adrenaline pumping through you?

Yes, for the range and administrative gun handling. In a self defense, law enforcement, or tactical situation, absolutely not. Police and lawful gun owners routinely point guns at people without pulling the trigger. Many times, the mere presence of a firearm pointed at a bad guy resolves the problem. Following your logic, one could never hold someone at gunpoint, but instead should only point the gun in the first place unless the decision to shoot has been made. Weapon lights make target identification much easier and you need light to see what should be and what should not be shot. Thats why the other rules of safety exist. If you have ever searched for an armed bad guy at night or cleared a dark building or area, you would be damn grateful for a weapon mounted light. As a cop, I pointed my pistol at hundreds of people without intending to, but being damn prepared to shoot ere is no difference in the civilian world if it is legally justifiable to do so. Being in fear of death or great bodily harm would certainly permit a civilian to point a weapon at an offender, even if shots were not fired.

Everyone has their own comfort level and should be aware of their limitations. But general safety rules designed for static or ministerial conditions do not always translate 1:1 to all scenarios.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I say legion, I'm not doing any amphibious assaults so the phosphate/chrome doesn't do anything for me. The anchor is cool looking though. I'd choose the legion due to better grip from the trigger undercut, better out the box trigger than std or navy 226s. The sights are OK, many like them better than nightsites, I could take or leave them. They seem to be best at dusk.

If forced to only keep one full size pistol my 226 Legion would be the one I would be left with, but honestly you can't go wrong with either.

The rail is slightly different than standard on the MK25, I'm not sure how that would affect holster selection, but maybe something to consider.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely thing about good WMLs is that you don't have to point them at people in order to illuminate them.

To the OP, I'd personally keep the German 226. you can get a rail adapter for them. Surefire used to make a good one. The only downside to the older German Guns is that the internal extractors are not always available. Holster would be difficult though.

But, to answer the question you asked, I'd recommend the legion, it's full feature out of the box, all you'll need to worry about down the road is replacing springs at the service intervals.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If I were to buy a P226 today, it would be a SAO.

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen how that fancy, purportedly premium finish of the Legion wears. Meh.

If I'm going to augment a pistola with a weapon light, a 1913 rail is what I prefer. Strongly prefer. I know that the SIG profile rail handles most mountable gear pretty well, but I've seen some pretty messed up rails over the years thanks to hamfisted 'accessorizing' by folks who perhaps had issues with getting square pegs into square holes. Me? I sometimes have issues with being gentle and white, kid-gloved with my guns, and that dainty lil' edge of the SIG profile rail has paid dearly in one occasion. (So ok it was twice, but who's keeping count?)

As for the rest of the guns' characteristics: since you already own an older P226, the trigger on the Mk25 won't be anything out of the ordinary. The short reset of the SRT that the Legions offer is definitely nice if you do and need a lot of rapid fire (and of course the requisite practice drills for rapid fire), but for the rest of the time it's one of those niceties that is generally lost on the average shooter. Since the new gun is intended to wear a WML, any difference between the rails of the Legion and Mk25 is more or less rendered moot when it comes to a potential holster. The sights on the Legion are typically considered a step above the standard tritium 3-dot sights found on the Mk25 by most folks. For me personally neither is a satisfactory solution since I don't care for the 3-dot configuration.

I thoroughly dislike the puny slide stop control surface that SIG uses on the P-series Legions, though it does work better for those people (right-handed) who have trouble keeping their strong hand thumb from bumping in the slide stop during live fire. The trigger bow profile is slightly smaller with the Legion compared to the Mk25, which many (but not all) persons with shorter fingers/smaller hands tend to prefer over the more "traditional" trigger reach/length of pull that the Mk25 rolls with. In operation I've shot Legions on several occasions thanks to customers and friends who own them. It's a very good SIG and I can understand why it appeals to its fanbase. However I'd already owned a Mk25 for a few years before I tried the first Legion DA/SA, and that and subsequent range sessions were never enough to convince me that the Legion was worth it. Plus I hated the stupid juvenile 'join the Legion' marketing campaign; that in itself should've turned me off entirely to any of those guns.

But these is still inherent goodness with the Legion, even if I don't trust the PVD coating to wear like the "outdated" Nitride and anodizing of SIGs past or like the fugly MIM long external extractor over the short part that the Mk25 and all of the rest of my milled slide P-series SIGs wear. It's a P226 after all. The Legion still shoots pretty much like any other P226. It handles pretty much like any other P226. The short reset trigger is I suppose a nice feature but for slow target shooting it often introduces an added measure of annoying creep that at least with any of my four non-SRT P226s, I simply don't notice.

In the Big Scheme I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. I prefer the Mk25 over the Legion but both will do what you need them to do. As for your existing gun; yes among the traditional SIG faithful the WG-marked guns are revered and seemingly even prayed to, but frankly if you're over that or were never there to begin with, then it's just a commodity to be bargained with and to take advantage of. It's your call as to whether or not it's something to hang on to, but I'd only keep if I had some emotional/personal attachment to it rather than 'oh, it's a West German, and my does that make it so special and worth keeping'.

That's my two cents. FWIW.

-MG

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick note on finding a holster for the P226 with the 1913 rail. BladeTech offers their Total Eclipse holster for the P220/P226. The two pistols have a very slight difference in width, but the same holster fits either pistol. BladeTech, however, will tell you that the holster will not work with the P226 MK25 because of the larger 1913 rail. But it does. I have the Total Eclipse for my P220 Legion, but my MK25 fits just fine. Lots of fine kydex holsters out there, but I am partial to the Total Eclipse line as a comfortable and secure carry holster.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
maybe I have a different BladeTech holster because mine I bought for a standard p226 won't let the Mk-25 slide in.... then again, the only time I've actually used a BladeTech is in training... for everyday carry and storage I prefer leather.

JDSigManiac: I knew I would get flamed for my limited opinion on putting a light on a gun and thank you for being gentle with me. I understand your point, I just wonder how many gun owners are qualified and trained well enough to carry one safely...
More important; Thank you for your service.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Keep the W German gun. Of the 2 you mentioned, I’d go legion but a standard 226 w SRT would be just as good to me.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, what great input and insight! Thank you!

So, the WML light is only intended for in-home use when things go bump in the night. Opening interior doors while holding a flashlight and pistol is troublesome. I got the Streamlight TLR-7A for my P220RM and it makes that job much easier. It also installed without issue.

I would not, however, carry a WML out of my home as too much could go wrong. I'm not an LEO who needs to open doors regularly.

It does seems that the Legion is a better-value upgrade over the MK25. I like the idea of keeping the W. German P226 and getting a used P226RM instead. I've already installed a few SRT kits in some or my other SIGs, so one more will be easy. I really do love the balance of the W. German/German folded P226/P228/P220 slides over the milled ones. My local shop has a P226RM trade-in available for $550. (Does SIG still have the CPO program?) I'll check it out when the shop re-opens, and perhaps trade-in my beater P229/357.

Best,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a MK25, as I got it at a good price used and really like it. I had installed E2 parts on it and it is even better. I will say that the Legion with the beaver tail option does add to a more comfortable grip.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legion 226, I looked and looked at all the 226 models and came down to the MK25 and the Legion.

All the little additions to the Legion (sig night sights, front checkering, beavertail grip, nice g10 grips, finger cut out on the grip, etc), made the Legion the choice for me.

The Legion coin and there zippered case is a joke but the pistol is good.

Make sure you get plenty of ammo and 18rd Mecgar mags.

Just fyi, I liked the 226 Legion so much I bought a Legion 229 as well. But the 226 Legion get the most attention.

OP you have to show pics to prove your purchase, lol.

Posts: 397 | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for DA/SA, I’d want the MK25 for the short extractor. Grips, sights and other things can be changed, but you can’t do anything about the extractor. If you’re interested in a trade for a SAO or selling to a MA guy, let me know. I’m inside 128

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
i have a a legion sao and love it. But I would go with the mk25 since the legion went to a cerakote finish. the finish is ultimately more important than the sites or grips imho. And the picitinny rail is nice if you are going to use a weaponn light

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post