SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting DA/SA makes me a better shot with striker fired?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting DA/SA makes me a better shot with striker fired? Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I’ve been shooting my Langdon Tactical PX4 a great deal for the last 6 weeks. Wonderful gun that I’ve been slowly improving with. I brought along my Sig 320 today and shot it after the PX4. The 320 was sooooo much easier to shoot accurately and at speed. I’m thinking that I will keep the DA/SA Trigger time as part of my weekly practice because I have to focus so much more on fundamentals to shoot it well. Anybody else train with a DA/SA to improve overall, but still carry a striker fired?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody else train with a DA/SA to improve overall, but still carry a striker fired?

I don't do this purposely. If you're going to carry X gun, most of your shooting should be with that gun. But if you've learned to manage a DA pull, a SA pull, and instantly transition between them, it can't help but improve your shooting with other action types.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:

Anybody else train with a DA/SA to improve overall, but still carry a striker fired?

Single action triggers on all of my DA/SA guns, those that I still own and those that I have including two Langdon PX4CC Berettas, are/were much easier to shoot than any of my Glocks [my choice of a striker gun]. This is a "selling point" of DA/SA guns, a very safe a and deliberate first shot followed by everything else in "easy mode". The DA pull with it rolling break presents a different challenge than a wall break of a striker. My personal experience and opinion is that DA/SA training doesn't help with a striker skill unless you use 25 lbs mainspring and set you SA pull at 5-6 lbs.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only carry DA/SA guns and spend more time on the DA shot in practice. I have certainly noticed it makes me better with other action types though. Having the skill to work a long DA trigger at speed is very transferable.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I believe the best way to learn to shoot well is to learn on the worst trigger.

I might even go as far to say that the reason there is a 1911 vs Glock discussion is because 1911s have such an easy trigger and Glocks are relatively crappy. The 1911 trigger can mask a lot of poor technique. So when Glocks came out, 1911 guys tried them. Without the great trigger as a crutch, they were terrible shots and blamed the pistol. If Glock had launched with a reasonably good trigger, the 1911 wouldn't have survived to 100 years. It would've been like Taco Bell winning the restaurant wars.

Alright, I'm totally kidding. Except for that ounce of truth. Bad triggers make you better at fundamentals. If you can hold on target through a heavy DA, you have all the skills necessary to fire a striker very well.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not bad so much as heavy. I shoot a striker better after practicing with a hammer. I liken it to a weighted practice bat in baseball.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I shoot DA/SA guns way better than I do striker fired, and damn sure better than I shoot single action pistols.

The SIG P226 is the greatest pistol ever in my eyes.

With the Beretta 92 being a close second.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot my S&W 617. Double action pulls every shot and it's .22 so it hardly costs anything.

Great training gun IMO.

Having a good DA pull takes more work than a striker fired or SA gun from what I've noticed.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
After I started shooting handguns frequently nearly 20 years ago, I quickly switched from the DA/SA P229 to a DAO trigger. Later I switched to the DAK system. My awareness of what was required to operate those triggers properly carried over when I acquired a couple of P320s. Even though the P320 trigger characteristics are not the same, I concentrate on the same smooth and continuous trigger pull as I do with my DAK pistols. The lengths of the stroke and reset aren’t the same, but controlling them is.

The (usually) greater force required to pull a DAO trigger, but especially the much longer stroke of a DA revolver or a Classic line SIG, requires more concentration by the shooter to control the trigger and gun. That in turn—if we’re paying attention—makes us more aware of what’s involved in achieving a smooth, uninterrupted pull stroke. Once we learn and master that, it has obvious benefits for shooting other guns, regardless of the type of triggers they have.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple great instructors push me to shoot better and faster. I never really got it until I went back to shooting da/sa. Prepping the trigger and smoothing out my draw and presentation was easier for me to improve with a da/sa. Now that I've "got it" I can do the same with my striker guns.

DPR

Posts: 657 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually found it harder personally.
For quite a few years, all I had was SA/DA and that's all I carried. Sig, Beretta, CZ and so on.
I picked up a Glock last year and forgot how much I love them. I eventually sold all the hammer fired pistols.
For the first few magazines with the Glock, I was not good. Low and left. I was so used to DA first shot that it took a bit to reaquaint myself to a striker trigger.
Now, both carry pistols are striker fired.
Not knocking the DA/SA pistols at all and I still like them all but I've just changed platforms for me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post