SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 barrel play
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 barrel play Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys... hope everyone is doing alright. I’ve got a 226 that has some play in it. When disassembled, the barrel rotated or shifts side to side in the slide. Is this an issue? when it’s assembled there’s no play unless I really try to shift it. Thanks for the help

Posts: 25 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"When disassembled"? What does this really mean in the context of your question?

Q

Posts: 26489 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He means when the slide/barrel assembly is off the frame.

I'm moving this thread to the Pistols section

Posts: 107731 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If so, that's quite an odd question to me. You would expect things to move around, when taken apart, no? And, when the gun is fully assembled, there shouldn't be any play, except maybe slide-to-frame play in most guns.

Q

Posts: 26489 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's help the man, please, not give him a hard time. Not everyone is a handgun expert. Be polite to my guests, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, if you mean that when you take apart the slide and remove the spring and recoil rod, that the barrel will wiggle a little to either side of the slide, then yes that’s normal.

When the slide is put back together and the frame is on the slide, there shouldn’t be any movement of the muzzle of the barrel while 5e gun is in battery. If the slide is locked to the rear there will be a lot of slop as the barrel is no longer locked into the slide.

Hope this helps

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Yes I mean when the slide and barrel is apart from
The frame. I’ve seen posts and videos showing where the barrel has little to no play “disassembled”. Meanwhile others have significant side to side movement. When barrel, slide, and frame are assembled the only movement I can get is a slight shift that is extremely forced. Thanks for clarification... just wanted to make sure I didn’t have something to worry about.

Posts: 25 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many gun types have that issue but it is not a problem. It is hard to kill a Sig 226 and welcome to the forum.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Many gun types have that issue but it is not a problem. It is hard to kill a Sig 226 and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the help. I’ve reach mixed reviews on it so figured I’d ask. Mine moves a full cm side to side when barre is locked back into the frame. I’ve attached a link to a vid that brought my attention to it originally.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMskvtITUPU

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It moves a centimeter side-to-side? So about 5 mm each side?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
It moves a centimeter side-to-side? So about 5 mm each side?

posted Hide Post
Not sure why my post isn’t showing. Hahaha! My bad not cm. I meant 1mm, there’s 10 mm in a 1 cm

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How does the pistol shoot?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How does the pistol shoot?

It fires fine for as far as I can tell. I’ve not had malfunctions yet I’m not an expert shot or anything. I guess I’m more worried about unnecessary wear.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Roll your target out to 20 yards or thereabouts. Firing from a rest, take careful aim and very slowly, shoot five rounds. If you can cover the group with your hand, I wouldn't be concerned about any play in the pistol.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I’ve got two P229s. One I’ve put thousands and thousands of rounds through. It was my EDC, 3-gun competition pistol; my go-to. It’s always rattled and been loose. The other was my dads. He gave it to me when he knew he was never gonna shoot it again, but he never did to begin with. Has probably had no more than 300 rounds through it. Real tight gun.

Here’s their barrels (loose on left, tight on right):

The breech area is where the lockup occurs (well, and the locking block). The well used, loose one has less wear on the breech.

Then if we look at the frames:

You can see the loose, well-used one actually shows little to no frame wear while the tight one shows some finish wear on the back of the frame rails after just a couple hundred rounds. The barrel and guide rod are almost polished from wear, so you can see its been shot quite a bit. The other has more wear on the breech, but barely any on the barrel and guide rod.

They both shoot like lasers. So put your mind at ease, you’re not going to wear your pistol out. If you were to, you’d have spent 2-3x (probably more) the cost of the pistol in ammo. Enjoy the pistol, lube it right, and don’t worry about it. It’ll still be great when you’re ready to pass it down to your kids.

Yeah, the pictures are bad, even for me, but I’m not gonna take them back out to retake.

Had to do a bunch of edits to clean up my post but one last one: none of the above wear is any problem or cause for concern. All perfectly normal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BuddyChryst,

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to talk about having some play in a barrel/slide, Beretta is notorious for it but it does not mean it is not a good gun as they are excellent and very accurate. It is just part of the design.

Like others have said, if it functions fine,don't worry about it. Sigs are also known for getting "smilies" on their barrels, like the above picture shows and that is also quite normal. I remember when mine was new, just racking the slide would cause some wear/"smilies".

You don't want too tight tolerances on a gun as it can affect function and longevity. Just keep your pistol lubed and change some springs according to the manufacturer and you shouldn't have a problem.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reassurance all. I’ll try the accuracy test and let you know how it goes.

posted Hide Post
Going to the range today to check the accuracy. I wanted to add some more information. The barrel lug has started peening on either side where it locks to the frame. Also, I assembled the firearm fully and can push side to side on the barrel hood and get movement. It is a lot less assembled, but you can actually see it and hear the clicking side to side, again this is fully assembled.

I went ahead and contacted Sig and they had me send them a video. They state the barrel locks up at the front of the slide and that the movement was normal. I really dont understand.. can someone confirm that this movement when fully assembled is normal?

posted Hide Post
I looked up the same issue on a P226 I owned and believe there was a post on Brian Enos' forum about slide play when assembled. The P226 slide visibly moved side-to-side just from my picking it up out of the box from my dealer (bought it used from online source).

The recommendation was to use a heavier grease intentionally formulated for what was called 'loose top end'.

I'll look it up again to make sure my recall is correct. (see next post)

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post