SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fluid to use for parts washer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluid to use for parts washer Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
I am probably going to get a parts washer to clean my firearms. Harbor Freight has one that I am leaning towards. We have one here at work and it works well.

My question is what type of fluid to use for cleaning my firearms? I want something that is safe for aluminum and plastic.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just switched from Simple Green to Simple Green Extreme, even though I never had issues with "regular" SG on aluminum. Not sure I ever put plastic in the cleaner.

Edited to add: SG "Extreme" is meant to be used on aluminum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris Orndorff,

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8754 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have had issues with SIMPLE GREEN on aluminum parts. Left in the solution to long degraded aluminum parts. Diligence and thorough rinse should mitigate that issue. The container warns about use of the product on aluminum.

Denatured alcohol MIGHT be an option. Relatively inexpensive in a gallon container. Caveat is flammability.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I use original FORD type transmission fluid in my HF cleaner.

Posts: 4605 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use mineral spirits in mine. I can get it in 5 gal jugs pretty cheap and it lasts a while.

I don't soak plastic parts in it or anything. Just a wash and dry with compressed air.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
If you have a McMillan oil dealer near you they have actual parts washer fluid. I use it in mine works great.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

How does the ATF work? Also, are you talking about the F-Type fluid?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
I use mineral spirits in mine. I can get it in 5 gal jugs pretty cheap and it lasts a while.

I don't soak plastic parts in it or anything. Just a wash and dry with compressed air.

That's what we always used in our parts cleaner was mineral spirits. BUT, it was an automotive garage and we weren't cleaning gun parts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, are you talking about a parts washer or an ultrasonic cleaner?

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
OP, are you talking about a parts washer or an ultrasonic cleaner?

Parts Washer. This one specifically.

Harbor Freight Parts Washer

posted Hide Post
Figured it was for a sonic cleaner...mineral spirits for a washer.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8754 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stoddard solvent, mineral spirits.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

How does the ATF work? Also, are you talking about the F-Type fluid?

Yes. I top off with mineral spirts if the tank is low.
This is for a Ultra sonic cleaner.
Works good.

Posts: 4605 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a boss back in the day who had a service garage. He got tired of the rather expensive fluid that the manufacturer insisted on in the parts washer. So one day he gets a wild hair and cleans out the parts washer and replaces the fluid with...
wait for it...
a 50/50 mix of water and LIQUID TIDE.
It worked GREAT!
That's all he uses to this day.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post