SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does switching to a MS grip module on P365 void warranty?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does switching to a MS grip module on P365 void warranty? Login/Join 
posted
Was considering converting to a manual safety grip module but have heard that it would void SIG's warranty. It seems odd as the components are all from SIG.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Wut? Confused

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you switch to a MS grip module? No difference except for the cut out for the manual safety. Changing a grip module would not affect warranty.

Posts: 138 | Location: Great State of Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean switching the fcu to MS with the addition of 3 Sig parts and then using a MS grip module.

Either way it doesn’t affect warranty and it’s easily added to any 365 fcu and not as easily removable. They would never even know you added it and removed it. Unnecessary though because it’s not a warranty voider.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm taking it as you saw a MS grip and figured you'd buy that and put it on a nonMS FCU. I'd say no voiding to worry about but the cutout would leave an ingress port for foreign objects and substances. I wouldn't recommend it but I did run a shield in 40 like that for years without issue.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've read other discussions and it depends on the nature of the CS rep and what was performed. While the P320 is spelled out in the manual to be able to remove the FCU, the P365 is specifically not allowed. Note - there are few reports of P320's with parts getting out of whack, it's specifically a P365 caution.

They are not the same FCU and SIG honestly has no idea what might have gone on with the P365 FCU out of the grip unit. I experienced that - two components were easily jostled out of place, preventing proper function or even getting the slide back on at all. The first was the mag finger follower which locks the slide back on the last round: the spring disconnected and it was jammed in the up position.

Secondly the sear interconnector from the slide lock slipped off, the sear would not lower by the lever and would not allow the slide to fully lock back. Reading posts on another forum there have been dozens of calls to CS over these parts coming out, every time it was an "unauthorized" removal of the FCU. And what I described is why its unauthorized and there is no "free warranty service" for untrained monkeying around. As I proved to myself. For the most part SIG still fixes it free - and you get it back weeks later.

Mox nix I installed a LH safety and it's all good now, I know how to reinstall things.

Warranty? Most of us rarely shoot a few hundred rounds a year, so mechanical issues based on materials and workmanship are extremely rare anyway. SIG has produced more than 1 million P365's and it's highly successful, creating a whole new type of self defense firearm and causing at least 5 other makers to respond. They have done well - but nobody else has the FCU yet.

It's been four years and the clock is ticking, who will be the next?

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
[E]very time it was an "unauthorized" removal of the FCU.

And yet, SIG itself sells the P365 FCU separately and makes it available for retail sale to vendors across the country.

Yes, the manual says no disassembly beyond field stripping is authorized, but then shows how to change the magazine catch and how to mount an optic on the slide. Those two actions don’t involve the FCU, but how can anyone argue that the FCU can’t be handled outside the grip module if it’s sold separately? Confused

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-fcu.html

The obvious answer is that if it was a factory policy that the P365 FCU wasn’t to be removed except during factory service, that policy has changed in practice, if not (thus far) in writing. The P365 operator’s manual that can be downloaded from the SIG site is dated 2019—two years ago and before the FCU was available for purchase separately—and the company’s policy about the FCU has clearly changed. If factory customer service representatives are currently telling people that removing the FCU from the grip module voids the warranty, that’s just one of a very long series of demonstrations by those people of not knowing their jobs or the products they represent very well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup what he said. I bought 2 of the fcu’s. Kind of hard to tell me I void the warranty by putting them in a grip module. You get that answer ask for a supervisor or call and talk to somebody who isn’t an idiot. My CS experience with Sig has been hit or miss. My last one they did what I basically wanted but they were really pissy about it. It’s one reason why I started divesting myself of the 320 platform. Of course I went heavy into 365 so I guess I didn’t learn my lesson. Lol

Just for clarification, the manual that comes with the fcu clearly tells you how to install and uninstall the fcu. Pictures and everything.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To clarify- the conversion would include installation of the safety. I was watching a video from Osage County Guns on the conversion and a response was made in the comment section that the procedure would void the warranty. That was the reason for the original post. In retrospect it was probably someone talking out their ass.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, you don't need a new grip module, you can just notch the one you have.

Perhaps using the original might help the warranty issue; maybe not.

BTW, when I added the MS to my P365 the grip module had indents for the cut-out molded right in, so cutting the notch was a no-brainer.

If your doesn't have that there are template sold online for less than $15 that will guide you.

Lastly, many people (me included) cut off the right lever before installing the MS, and notching only the left side. Search this and the Blue Forum for more info and photos.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To avoid any possible issue, why not sell what you have now and buy a new 365 with safety already installed.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kit that includes the safety and module is about $80. I was surprised at how inexpensive it was. To sell my pistol and buy a new 365 with the MS would most likely cost a lot more- yes, I am a cheapskate.

Banned
posted Hide Post
I bought the safety and jig from Osage. Wound up cutting off the RH side and used a small needle file to notch the grip with the jig installed. One side only.

At the time I bought it there were two in town, all the other gun stores were out. Academy had them at the discount price they originally posted, with extra mags in stock, and your choice of a box of ammo to go with it - they had saved back some 9mm for new gun buyers.

In the midst of a gun buying panic you get what you can and then go from there. A choice of MS or not doesn't always exist when you have the money, its more like "You Got any more of those hot little mini 9's?" while brushing the white powder off your face.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post