SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Info on West German P228
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on West German P228 Login/Join 
posted
I just purchased my second SIG. But my first West German made one. It’s a P228 with Kiel proofmarks..However I’m not sure if it’s a KG or KB marked as the stamping is not very clear..but the serial number starts with B..unfortunately it is missing it’s factory magazine and there’s 3 magazines marked as:

For Export only
C&C Metal Form and Tooling
Southgate California USA

Any info on this magazine maker? Slide will not lock back anymore when empty when hand cycling the slide. I don’t know if the springs are tired or it is just a bad magazine.
What is the period correct packaging of this model- did it come in a cardboard box or the Gray plastic case? Thanks!

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The "KG" can look somewhat like the "KB", but the real "KB" is always very clear. The serial number will tell you. Anything less than B155XXX will be KB. If it's B255XXX, it's a "KG".

Throw away those mags and get the Mec-Gar P228 mags.

The correct case for a "KB" is #2. And for a "KG", it is #3.

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks SN is B260XXX so it’s a KG? Will look for a case..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
KG

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have another picture of that gray case? And what kind of owners manual is included? Thanks!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
They say you can pull the bottom foam piece out and a sticker should be under it with a serial number for your gun if its correct for your gun.

Posts: 18036 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
They say you can pull the bottom foam piece out and a sticker should be under it with a serial number for your gun if its correct for your gun.

They are correct. Wink
Pry the right side of the foam insert up.

Q

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
We posted at the same time Q..:-), wasn't doubting you, was just passing info on to the OP but those are great pictures.

Posts: 18036 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
We posted at the same time Q..:-), wasn't doubting you, was just passing info on to the OP but those are great pictures.

Thought of you doubting me never crossed my mind. You actually brought up that excellent piece of knowledge that was not what OP was asking about but is good for folks to be aware of. So, I just wanted to show the actual location. Smile Btw, the 2 posts above are of 2 different guns (a KG and a KF). I didn't have a pic the KG's gun's foam insert lifted up, but did do it for the KF gun. Hence, two different guns.

Q

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I thought all KG was German vs W. German which only went halfway through KF. Does that sound right Q?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Right. Either OP misstated West German for German, or he has a rainbow unicorn. My money is on the former.

Q

posted Hide Post
Nuts, one more 228 that I won't be able to get.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upon closer inspection Mine is KG but it is stamped made in Germany. Not west Germany- any reasons why? I don’t have a box and case with me and it’s also missing its manual and original magazines. I’m wondering what is the period correct case and manual that should come with it. Thanks for your inputs.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
As posted previously by Q (a.k.a 12131), and THE Authority on the Sig P228, the following are correct for your 'KG' German P228

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
Upon closer inspection Mine is KG but it is stamped made in Germany. Not west Germany- any reasons why?

Your pistol was made in 1996. West Germany ceased to exist in 1990. That could be why.

Why some pistols in the following years were still stamped W. Germany is because it took them a while to use up the stock that was already stamped.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

The thought of anyone doubting Q on Sigs, especially P228s is funny. Thanks for the laugh. I think that's on the same level as doubting the pope is catholic or if a bear shits in the wood. :-)

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much guys. Il be on the lookout for that type of case..hopefully I find a matching owners manual and a factory magazine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Re. The charcoal gray case- I saw on eBay a version that is molded for the gun inside. What circa year is that? The one in the pics here have a foam lined interior. Thanks!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
Re. The charcoal gray case- I saw on eBay a version that is molded for the gun inside. What circa year is that? The one in the pics here have a foam lined interior. Thanks!

Are you talking about this one here below? If so, for a short time, the early 90s P229s came packaged in it (from factory) inside the hard outer cardboard box with factory labels. I have never seen a P228 coming from factory in this case. It might have happened, just that I have not seen one.

These are pics from fleabay (not mine):

Q