SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Staccato P FLB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staccato P FLB Login/Join 
posted
I have an Staccato P with about 450 rounds through that I purchased new, I do have all oem Staccato magazines (some 17 some 20's). the gun had run perfect until last trip when started to fail to lock back on an empty magazine, I mainly use factory 115gr ammo either Blazer or turn. so I thought it was ammo related so I gathered some 124gr Blazer and Fiocchi with same results, the magazines are almost new and the gun has been cleaned and well lubed. what could be the issue been a fairly new handgun and well maintained?

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A handgun's failure to lock back on an empty magazine is most often caused by the shooter riding the slide lock lever, or otherwise coming into contact with it during firing.

It can also be exacerbated by limp-wristing the handgun. You might be robbing just enough of the slide's energy to prevent it from locking open while still allowing for ejection.

To rule these out, have someone else shoot it, or try shooting it yourself one-handed while also ensuring that your wrist is locked.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some experience with shooting the 1911 platform and I haven't had issues riding the slide lever.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Make sure one you’re not touching the slide with your thumb as you shoot.

What generation of mags? Have you had the magazines apart and cleaned it? I have on occasion put a mag spring in wrong and so the follower wouldn’t move up enough to activate the slide stop.

If it’s all mags, I’m inclined to think misassembled or something slowing the slide. Thumbs on slide, recoil spring hanging up, too much lube especially if it’s grease. I’ve seen and done all the above.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have a buddy shoot it & see if the issue follows another shooter?

Had a friend that consistently got stovepipe failures on a G19, from both him & his wife.
I couldn't hit anything with it (Glocks just don't fit me) but had no failures over multiple mags & firing speeds.
Chalked it up to a form issue & not a gun issue.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Make sure one you’re not touching the slide with your thumb as you shoot.

What generation of mags? Have you had the magazines apart and cleaned it? I have on occasion put a mag spring in wrong and so the follower wouldn’t move up enough to activate the slide stop.

If it’s all mags, I’m inclined to think misassembled or something slowing the slide. Thumbs on slide, recoil spring hanging up, too much lube especially if it’s grease. I’ve seen and done all the above.

They are the gen3, I have not put them apart yet.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
What year production is it? They redesigned the slide stop I believe in 2021. I have a 2020 C2 though have not had any issues thus far thankfully. That said, I have a new slide stop at the ready if mags start to not lock back.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
If the gun locks back with an empty mag in it and you just racking the slide to the rear, then there is a 98% chance it's shooter induced. Other option, try shooting the gun one handed to eliminate grip issues

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try putting an ISMI 11 coil spring in the magazine as see if that fixes your issue. My C2 is the only STI/Staccato pistol I've owned that didn't need new mag springs.

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post