SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG 220 8 ROUND MAGS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 220 8 ROUND MAGS Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted
Have MEC-GAR gone out of fashion and ACT taken over the magazine market?

Smile

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACT has always made Sig P220 45 magazines. I don't recall MEC-GAR ever making Sig P220 magazines. I've always used the blue ACT 8 round magazines and never had any issues at all.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
ACT has always made Sig P220 45 magazines. I don't recall MEC-GAR ever making Sig P220 magazines.

Confused

Unless ACT makes its magazines in Italy, I have never laid eyes on a P220 magazine made by that company. With the exception of very old blued carbon steel mags that were evidently made in Germany, all the P220 magazines I’ve ever owned or worked with (many), have had stainless steel tubes and were marked “Made in Italy” just like all the other Mec-Gar mags I own.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Thank you now I'm really confused.
Maybe I'm thinking of my 226 20 rounders,they are maybe all MEC-GAR.So long since I got to shoot I have forgotten what I have.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Mec-gar made/makes the factory P220 magazines but never sold them direct to consumer IIRC.

ACT is another aftermarket brand who actually does make a good P220 magazine.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
P220 ACT mags are ok. There has been debate back and forth on here a few times about them. At one point I had some for my 220's but sold them because I'm anal and wanted the period correct mags for the 220's.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The mags at the below link are, to the best of my knowledge and belief, exactly the same P220 magazines that I am familiar with. That is down to the small indentation with a number (that isn’t visible in the photo) on the top front of the floor plate. If they are not made by Mec-Gar, I don’t have any idea who makes them. Now, because TGS is showing out of stock, it may be that Mec-Gar has stopped making its version. It seems to me that the same thing happened with factory P226 mags: they were made by Mec-Gar for a long time, but then the contract was evidently given to Checkmate. At that point, it was no longer possible to get original style P226 mags even directly from Mec-Gar, and supposition was that they were prohibited from continuing to make and offer them to the public because of their agreements with SIG.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...azine-stainless.html

Added: It appears that Numrich has used Mec-Gar (or made in Italy, at least) magazines:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/722540B

It also looks like Gunmag Warehouse has a few left (assuming the picture is correct):

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...-round-magazine.html

And one more: Checking the Mec-Gar site reveals they do not list any magazines for the P220, which lends support to my supposition that they no longer make them for SIG, but are also prohibited from making and selling them to the public.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of those rare people that have had terrible luck with ACT. But Greg Cote one of the best on sigforum has said he sells a ton of them without issue. So I take that at face value. Some small percentage will be junk (those I buy) and most won't (those you buy).
and the price is right $19 ea. for the act ones.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ You and me both.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ACT 220 mags have been GTG.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
ACT has always made Sig P220 45 magazines. I don't recall MEC-GAR ever making Sig P220 magazines.

Confused

Unless ACT makes its magazines in Italy, I have never laid eyes on a P220 magazine made by that company. With the exception of very old blued carbon steel mags that were evidently made in Germany, all the P220 magazines I’ve ever owned or worked with (many), have had stainless steel tubes and were marked “Made in Italy” just like all the other Mec-Gar mags I own.

ACT Mags are manufactured in Italy...It was a company started by former Mec-Gar employees. When they first entered the American market, they linked up with Novak to market their magazines....at that time they only offered 1911 and 220 mags. When I bought my S&W 1911Sc, it came with ACT Mags

When I bought mine,they offered the only non-factory 220 magazine on the market...I think I bought 50 for myself and co-workers, when we were a SIG department.

Mine were highly reliable and I used them for both off-duty carry as well as teaching and competition

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
ACT Mags are manufactured in Italy...

Thanks. Although the magazines themselves appear to be virtually identical* to the Mec-Gar mags I'm familiar with, there are many differences in their markings.

*The one that’s pictured, though, doesn’t have the indentation at the top rear like later Mec-Gars. Do current ACT mags have it?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
*The one that’s pictured, though, doesn’t have the indentation at the top rear like later Mec-Gars. Do current ACT mags have it?

Doesn't look like it...but it has been a long time since I've bought any and they seem to have grown a bit
https://actmagusa.com/about/

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Greg Cote sells ACT for a fantastic price been using him since before he moved to FL and now charges me SALES TAX!!!
Tempted to get some SIG brand name 8 rounders at twice the price Razz but are they really ACT with SIG written on one side and MADE IN ITALY on the other.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

posted Hide Post
I have 8 seven round mec-gar marked 220 magazines that I bought new around 1990

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Does ACT make the Pachmayr P220 mags?

I have some Pachmayr mags that are also made in Italy.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Checkmate only makes mags for the SIG 1911's and other 1911's of course

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

posted Hide Post
Saw one hanging on wall at local gun store couple weeks back for $40. All other makes were priced the same. I believe it was stainless, hanging loosely as tho it had been on the wall for long time. I didn't need one so didn't really look at it.

Posts: 15 | Location: Triad Area, NC | Registered: November 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
Checkmate only makes mags for the SIG 1911's and other 1911's of course

When did they stop making mags for the 226/229?

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I went to their web site only saw 1911's will have to go back there.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG