SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P227 - I want to love it, but there are problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
P227 - I want to love it, but there are problems Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I've only taken it to the range a few times since I bought it back in 2013; I was an early adopter. I was looking forward to it and was generally disappointed from the get-go.

I took it to the range today and there are two issues.

1. Mags fall out of the gun when the slide returns and goes to strip another round out of the magazine. I thought this was only with the extended magazines, but I had one flush-fit do it to me today repeatedly. One of the extended mags worked okay on its first go-round, but then started falling out.

2. The recoil seems inordinate. I've owned a number of P220s, both old school and new. I also own a number of 1911s, and a couple of HK .45s, but the felt recoil with the P227 is noticeably more significant to me. I would rather shoot 10mm out of my P220 10mm or one of my 1911s, than shoot .45 out of the P227. In fact, I went to the P220 10mm right after the P227, and the difference was significant.

I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, and I'm a big 10mm fan in both the 1911 and the P220, but this P227 is not a pleasure to shoot.

So, I'm looking for feedback and suggestions, especially for the magazine drop issue, which I don't think is the magazines; I think it's the magazine catch. However, I'm open to being corrected.

It doesn't make any sense to me that the felt recoil would be noticeably more significant than the P220s I've owned and shot.
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You could always convert it to .38 Super:



Never had a problem with the magazines. Maybe the mag release could be cleaned and oiled?

The stainless frame of the 10mm P220 adds a lot to the mitigating of recoil.

Let us know what you find.




 
Posts: 10481 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My P227 is a pleasure to shoot, it's a tactical model, and I have no regrets !
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wish I could help with suggestions about the recoil, but I immediately popped a 220 Match upper half on mine and never looked back.

I'm at the back end of a 1,000 case of Winchester White box, which is truly filthy stuff. Everything's kept running, including both 10- and (the newer) 14-round magazines locking into place.

It sounds like you've cycled through the magazines a few times by now. If not, though, what you describe sure reminds me of what I've had happen with other SIGs using fully loaded brand-new magazines that I've tried to load in the mag well after loading a round in the chamber and running the slide forward into battery. If the mags are still fairly new (in terms of actual use), maybe leave them loaded for a week and cycle through them (load the magazine and shoot it empty) a few times at the range just to see if that helps?
 
Posts: 27436 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It sounds like you've cycled through the magazines a few times by now. If not, though, what you describe sure reminds me of what I've had happen with other SIGs using fully loaded brand-new magazines that I've tried to load in the mag well after loading a round in the chamber and running the slide forward into battery. If the mags are still fairly new (in terms of actual use), maybe leave them loaded for a week and cycle through them (load the magazine and shoot it empty) a few times at the range just to see if that helps?


I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps that is contributing to the issue. I think it goes beyond that, but that's just speculation on my part.
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
My P227 is a pleasure to shoot, it's a tactical model, and I have no regrets !


Glad to hear it. Perhaps there is hope for mine. What grips do you use? Are they the factory grips? Are the grips on the Tactical at all different from the standard version?
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I'm not ready to give up on the gun. I have four new mags. I'm going to try those and see if there is any difference.

Ultimately, I think it's going to be the mag catch/release, perhaps the spring. As for the recoil, I could perhaps use a different weight recoil spring.

I'm not sure what the original factory spring weight is. Perhaps the early ones had a different recoil spring. Sig tends to change things without telling anyone or documenting it.
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ The P227 upper assembly is identical to that of the P220, except for the number “7”.

I cannot understand how the P227 has more recoil than the P220 for you. Very strange. Unless the P227 recoil spring has been significantly weakened from use that the frame takes harder pounding from the slide. That’s the only reason I can think of.


Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ The P227 upper assembly is identical to that of the P220, except for the number “7”.

I cannot understand how the P227 has more recoil than the P220 for you. Very strange. Unless the P227 recoil spring has been significantly weakened from use that the frame takes harder pounding from the slide. That’s the only reason I can think of.


I agree 100%, which is why it just didn't make any sense to me. Maybe it was just that day at the range. I'm going back today. Thanks for the input.
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
My P227 is a pleasure to shoot, it's a tactical model, and I have no regrets !


Glad to hear it. Perhaps there is hope for mine. What grips do you use? Are they the factory grips? Are the grips on the Tactical at all different from the standard version?
Mine came from the factory with the E2 grip, I replaced that with Hogue G10, but it shot fine with the factory E2.
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
OP,
If &/or when you decide to change the grip on a P227 from E2 to grip panels-

You will need a set of 4 nut plates & screws.
(P224 nut plates are not interchangeable w/a P227)

I run Sprinco guide rods in all of my Sig,S&W,Colt pistols.
 
Posts: 161 | Location: Fbks,AK. | Registered: March 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Worry not. Hogue P227 grips are sold with the bushings and screws included.


Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^^^What Q said !
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I wanted to love mine too, but she was just a little pudgy for my liking. I got a great deal on mine because the former owners German shepperd ate some of the E2, but that was a cheap fix.
 
Posts: 567 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Fast forward.....

I sent it to SIG; they turned it around in about 36 hours.

They experienced the issue, replaced the mag catch, and then tested it with the 10-round and 14-round mags I sent.

I just took it to the range today and verified it was, indeed, fixed.
 
Posts: 17354 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!




 
Posts: 10481 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Excellent!
 
Posts: 27436 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
I just took it to the range today and verified it was, indeed, fixed.

Great to hear. Now, what about the issue of recoil sensitivity? Gone or still affecting you?


Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P227 - I want to love it, but there are problems

© SIGforum 2026