SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How necessary are front serrations on a carry pistol?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How necessary are front serrations on a carry pistol? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Banned

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never pay attention to a man who says or writes so much what can be summarized in one sentence. Smh. I fully understand cases where extensive writing is necessary, but with Tirod, none of his extensive posts are so.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, he'll have to find another forum to torment with his incessant yammering.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Never pay attention to a man who says or writes so much what can be summarized in one sentence. Smh. I fully understand cases where extensive writing is necessary, but with Tirod, none of his extensive posts are so.

I might resemble that remark. Smile. Frown. I’ve been known to “stream of conscious” my way through a post or thought. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

I might resemble that remark. Smile. Frown. I’ve been known to “stream of conscious” my way through a post or thought. Frown

I agree with you. Smile

But, anyone who has seen Tirod's posting knows exactly what I'm talking about. On and on and on with shit completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s the big deal about FSS? Just don’t use them if you don’t like them. IMO all press checking does is exercise your extractor and eventually deform your cartridge anyway.

Now let’s talk about all the nanny gadgets they put on a new car.

Conserve Liberty, and the right of self-determination.

Posts: 57 | Location: The Flyover Part | Registered: September 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
They don't bother if they are or aren't there.
If I do chamber check, I have the pistol close in, hand over top/rear of slide whether they have forward serrations or not.

I'm not loading in the dark and can either see a round in the chamber or check the mag and make sure it's 1 down when loading and then topping off the mag anyway.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Conserve Liberty:
Just don’t use them if you don’t like them.
That is the lamest, most overused argument against features people don't like on a given product.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
In general, I think they're ugly and I don't like them. I'm more tolerant of them on newer designs or plastic guns. Glocks for example are ugly anyway, and they don't really bother me on the P320, either, probably because they've always been there. On my new Beretta 92x Compact they're ugly, but they're pretty smooth so they don't really cause any problems or chew up holsters (the stupid rail does, though).

Where I really don't like them is my SA 1911 loaded. I actually had to take a round file to them to knock the edges down because they were so sharp they were shredding and collecting leather every time I pulled the gun out of the holster. They still do it a little bit, but it's not as bad. Pretty annoying for a "feature" that I dont use and didn't even want in the first place. The newer Garrison model is basically a copy of my gun without the front slide serrations, but that wasn't available when I bought mine, and I've done enough work to the Loaded at this point that it's not worth switching just to get a slide without them.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Tirod: He often set off my "troll alarm", mainly due to his posting history in other forums.
On front serrations: Lots of my holsters are excessively worn inside due to the grooves dragging the materiel when the gun is drawn or inserted. So, pass on front serrations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
On Tirod: He often set off my "troll alarm", mainly due to his posting history in other forums.
Well, you can see the first comment I made to him: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...730022884#4730022884

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tirod, you're welcome to your soliloquies, and not everyone is warm and fuzzy- you are who you are. But, I'll tell you one thing which you won't do in this forum, and that is to ghost your host.
I've never understood how some people think they can do that and "the problem" (i.e.: you, in this case Wink) will simply go away

I was on a moderation team for a Usenet Newsgroup where people did that to us all the time. I don't know what they thought would happen when they blew off the moderators. I can tell you what did happen when they did it one-too-many-times, though.

We had this one cat who, when he felt frightened, would hide under our bedcovers. That's what this kind of behavior reminds me of.

quote:
Never pay attention to a man who says or writes so much what can be summarized in one sentence.
Mea culpa

But I do like to think I address my sometimes (too-often?) lengthy essays to people, rather than at them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tirod, you're welcome to your soliloquies, and not everyone is warm and fuzzy- you are who you are. But, I'll tell you one thing which you won't do in this forum, and that is to ghost your host.

And then Tirod posted this on the 19th,I name it the Eveready Bunny post, just keeps going & going.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...850041294#4850041294

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

On topic: I’ve bought three guns now that have them. Two Glock 45’s and a 48. I use them if I’m checking the chamber, but I don’t feel they’re an absolute necessity. I grab the same spot on the slide anyway, it feels like a decent point to grab for just enough leverage to nudge the slide back without risking ejecting a round, if chambered. I don’t shoot competition and I go real slow and deliberate with admin handling/functions etc, so if it’s a “high speed cool kid” feature, this isn’t really in my realm. I know some people hate the way they look, but they seem alright on the Gen 5 Glocks. I wouldn’t want them on my older Glocks.

I guess put me in the “neutral” camp.

Also, he's wrong about the HiPower and Beretta 92. The slide taper near the muzzle, from what I understand about these guns, exists for the very same reason forward slide serrations do: to help ease the slide back from the front end of the gun. When I check my P38, I don't pull from the rear because the safety is in the way, I push the slide back from the front, which is even safer on a P38 since it's so far recessed from the muzzle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I log off after enjoying the forum, (only forum I am a member of) if I get out of line, (& I do) gimme a chance to make it right next time I’m signed in. You are more than fair para, thanks fellas for understanding.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
All of my 1911 was ordered without FCS. I don't like it. Never used it.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It's peculiar that Tirod rarely engaged directly with other members. It took me to page 5 of his recent posts to find one where he actually quoted and responded to someone's comment.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I noticed I use them most when I'm doing dry fire practice with striker guns. The fcs are super handy for resetting the striker.
I like having options, find them asthetically pleasing, and they don't seem to negatively effect the firearms function so I say front serrate all of the things!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know that what I have to say matters now, but I'll say it anyway. I have no use for them. They are particularly useless on CZ (and clones/derivatives) pistols, because there is so little slide protruding above the frame to start with. When I do want to do a "press check," I hook my thumb under the grip tang, my first three fingers between the rear sight and ejection port, and squeeze the slide back a little, enough to see a hint of brass.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't know that what I have to say matters now, but I'll say it anyway. I have no use for them. They are particularly useless on CZ (and clones/derivatives) pistols, because there is so little slide protruding above the frame to start with.

Funny, I use them all the time on my Shadows for slide manipulation. I don't do chamber checks though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YVK,

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post