Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a 380 Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Please allow me to suggest the Ruger LCP. Marvelous, little CCW, that has proven to be 100% reliable for me with the following additions/modifications. Galloway solid stainless steel guide rod/13# recoil spring, Hogue rubber handALL grip sleeve, and a dab of white model car paint on the front sight.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/
https://www.hogueinc.com/handg...cp-grip-sleeve-black
https://www.testors.com/produc...enamel-paint/bottles

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I looked up that Beretta .... looks to me like it has one of those little flippy things on the side that you have to move and have the red dot show to actually fire the gun.... never have liked or seen the need for one of those....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Please allow me to suggest the Ruger LCP. Marvelous, little CCW

OP says he wants a range toy, not a CCW .380

I’d look at something full size and fun to shoot like the S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ then.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d look at something full size and fun to shoot like the S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ then.

This is my thought as well. It's a fantastic gun for the price!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Q: have I been misinformed, that Sig P238 is/was built under Colt Mustang license?
I'm unable to tell also, whether Colt Gov 380 is any relation to the Hard Rock mentioned above.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex35:
Hands down the Glock 42. It shoots so smooth and is Very accurate. The Glock 42 is a pleasure to shoot. Its a great pocket gun that shoots and feels like a much larger gun.

Fully agree. No, it isn’t hammer-fired, but it’s an incredibly sweet shooting gun. Compared to the Colt 1908 I own and the Bersa Thunder I got to shoot once, I find the Glock to be more pleasant in the hand and softer recoiling. Very accurate. It’s one of those guns you hand to a buddy at the range and they look back at you with a giant grin on their face before they’ve even emptied the magazine.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Strange caliber for a range toy. Isn't 9mm ammo cheaper? If recoil / shootability is an issue, get a bigger, steel framed 9mm. It will likely shoot softer than the vase majority of .380s, which are usually meant as deep cover CCW guns. As a bonus, a biggish/heavyish 9mm would do nicely in double duty as a HD gun.

Edit: Holy run on sentence, Batman!!! Fixed

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Wanted one for some time now for a range toy. Have narrowed it down to Beretta 84, Browning or a Baby Rock. I like the feel of Beretta and Baby Rock but can't find a Browning which seems to be about the same size as the Baby Rock. All hammer fired. Just picked up a Beretta 81.That little thing is fun to shoot. Which do you guys like?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants. Smile

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the Baby Rock, but the Browning 1911-380 is my favorite range .380. Comfortable to shoot, decent trigger, consistently reliable. I like the lighter weight of the polymer frame for a .380.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Strange caliber for a range toy. Isn't 9mm ammo cheaper? If recoil / shootability is an issue, get a bigger, steel framed 9mm. It will likely shoot softer than the vase majority of .380s, which are usually meant as deep cover CCW guns. As a bonus, a biggish/heavyish 9mm would do nicely in double duty as a HD gun.

Can't a guy just have a gun for fun? Have you ever looked at or shot the Beretta Cheetah? I had a variant of it, the Model 86 (tip-up barrel), for a time. Beautifully made and fun to shoot gun.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Please allow me to suggest the Ruger LCP. Marvelous, little CCW

OP says he wants a range toy, not a CCW .380

I agree, most folks who want a .380, want one for concealment. I too have a S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ, it is a sweet shooter. I bought mine for $310, it came from S&W with a lock box. The reason I bought one was if my arthritis in my hands ever got bad enough, I would already have something I could deal with.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I acquired and sold to a friend a Beretta 25cal for his wife because of the flip up barrel.... seems many women can't rack the slide on a semi-auto... what are the pistols in 380 that have one of these... I'm presuming there are no 9mm with such.

I agree if it is to be a range gun... go with large.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I acquired and sold to a friend a Beretta 25cal for his wife because of the flip up barrel.... seems many women can't rack the slide on a semi-auto... what are the pistols in 380 that have one of these... I'm presuming there are no 9mm with such.

I agree if it is to be a range gun... go with large.

The only tip-up barrel .380 I know of is the Beretta Model 86 Cheetah. I have one that dates back to the 90's but I don't know how long it's been out of production.

I checked the data base and the first production year was 1990 and this one is a 1991 with a SN in the 600's. I think they were last made around 2013.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I looked up that Beretta .... looks to me like it has one of those little flippy things on the side that you have to move and have the red dot show to actually fire the gun.... never have liked or seen the need for one of those....

I assume that you’re commenting about the Beretta 84 mentioned in the OP.

If you’re complaining about the safety, some folks like ‘em on DA/SA pistols, some don’t. Personal preference.

If you’re complaining about the take-down lever, it’s a perfectly good and reliable mechanism. My .22 LR Beretta 87 Target has the same.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 84 is a pretty soft shooter and very comfortable with rubber grips. I have large hands and its the most comfortable for me. I have a 232 but it's not as fun to shoot. I know a lot of people at my range rave about the 380 EZ. They sell a ton of them.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go retro: Beretta M85 or SIG P230.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Can a 986 shoot 380?

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta Cheetah

The Beretta Cheetah (83,84,and 85) are excellent, fun, range toys. Like shooting a baby M9/92FS. They are good carry guns too, if you like bigger .380's.

Tango Alpha Leather Goods

Posts: 99 | Location: Wilson, NC | Registered: April 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Q: have I been misinformed, that Sig P238 is/was built under Colt Mustang license?
<snip>

My recollection: Colt decided to end production of the Mustang. SIG Sauer bought the rights to it, and some of the production equipment, and began making the P238.

After Colt saw the great sales of P238 pistols, they began producing a revised version of the Mustang.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
380 day at the range last week. Fun shoot, multiple ammos & 4 different 380s.
Opinions of the shooters:

Most subjective recoil was both blow backs. Most uncomfortable was Roooger pocket pistol, also blessed with abysmal trigger.
2nd most recoil was PPK/s. At least it had usable sights and a decent trigger.
The Mustang seemed tiny & light, yet falling plate rack was satisfying target, with about 50% hits from freestanding position.
The Colt Gov380 was overall #1 choice for pleasant accurate plinking. Typical 80% strikes on the plates. Love the grip/frame size. Good pocket carry as well.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post