SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Deep dive into early 9mm Heel release magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deep dive into early 9mm Heel release magazines Login/Join 
Picture of Udo
posted
The wife took off for fifteen days to see family in Germany, so I had some space to dig out stuff, spread it out and do a little research. My subject? P220 and related magazine variations. Notice I didn’t add -1. Related means P75 and the three early P220 importers. I’m talking old heel release magazines. No notches!
Let me start by saying this is a draft study. It is open for any input and definitely from those of you that have the calibers that I don’t have reference too, i.e. .38 Super Auto and 7.65 Para.
Here’s the rough draft.

Common 9mm features: Flat base, Inverted reinforcing grooves nearly full height on each side approximately 12mm from the front edge, ¼ round insert at rear inside of the magazine. 9 round capacity.

1. Joined on back by wide dovetails ( five full doves) No caliber marking on the base.
a. Glossy black,
b. Matt black

2. Wide dovetail, matt black, Large font slanted 9mm Para.

3. Wide dovetail, small 9mm Luger.
a. glossy black, Slanted font marking.
b. matt black, vertical font marking.

Note: I have several of these, the majority coming from Western Pats Ltd in Canada.

Question: does any one have a barrel marked 9mm Luger? I don’t personally know of any.

4. Zipper joint on back.
a. No caliber marking. (common magazine in P75’s)
b. Small slanted 9mm Para.

5. Small dovetail joint, (eight full doves) small Triskelion stamp near base. (some stamps very faint) no caliber marking.

Note: I have 2 of these in original packaging.

Note: I have seen .38 Super Auto in both large and small font.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The P220 heel release magazines that I have off hand (without digging through everything) are:

22 long rifle - No markings. Stamped follower. Small tab. Straight weld on back of magazine.

7.65mm Para - Big script. long tab. Dovetail.

9mm Luger - Medium vertical script. Short tab. Dovetail.
9mm Luger - Medium italic script. Short tab. Dovetail.

9mm Para - Medium Script. Long tab. Dovetail.
9mm Para - Big script. Long tab. Dovetail.

9mm Steyr - Tiny script. Short tab. Dovetail.

.38 Super Auto - Medium script. Short tab. Dovetail.
.38 Super Auto - Large script. Short tab. Dovetail.

.45 Auto - Medium Script. Long tab. Dovetail.
.45 Auto - Large script. Short tab. Dovetail.

Unmarked - Came with various P220s. Short tab. Dovetail.

Unmarked - Rubber pad molded to baseplate. Short tab. Dovetail.

Some of the baseplate roll marks are front to back. Others read back to front. Thinking the shiny magazines are from the BDAs.

As far as the side release magazines, I was able to find one that was originally made as a .38 Super Auto, but was factory converted at Sig to a 9mm Para and the baseplate is stamped as both.

Also of note, the P226 in 7.65mm has '7.65mm Para' stamped in the tiny script.
The early 9mm P226 also came with 'P226' stamped on the baseplate in jumbo script.

quote:
Originally posted by Udo:

Question: does any one have a barrel marked 9mm Luger? I don’t personally know of any.

Yes.

I and member Tooky13 have one. Have only seen these made in 1982 with the serials less than 100 apart.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post