SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shipping pistol to gunsmith - questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping pistol to gunsmith - questions Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I am sending a Beretta to Wilson Combat for some work.

I have never shipped a firearm that wasn't from my FFL to another FFL.

What is the procedure? (This is from Missouri to Arkansas, so no crazy anti-gun laws, but I still need to do it right.)

I understand it must be overnighted, and I believe it has to be from an actual hub and not a branch office. But if I could hear from those who've actually done similar, I'd love a step by step guide - lets say from step one being a clean and unloaded boxed firearm in my vehicle at the UPS hub. Now what?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Just go to the computer fill out the form, tell the counter person it contains a gun, and pay the huge overnight shipping price.

They can be shipped via overnight saver IIRC.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be cheaper to have your local FFL do the shipping for you. Just a thought.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I have shipped using FedEx. Put the gun in the box, fill out the form. A FedEx branch office (Mailboxes Etc.)will not accept a gun (at least here in the Phoenix area) and you have to deliver to an actual FedEx office. Use overnight next afternoon delivery service. Since I get a discount at FedEx my handguns ship with insurance across the country for about $12.50.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Since I get a discount at FedEx my handguns ship with insurance across the country for about $12.50.

That is a pretty significant discount. I think the last time I shipped a metal framed pistol it was like $70 with insurance.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Despite popular belief, there is no requirement that you have to ship FedEx O/N. When I sell a pistol/handgun and ship it myself, I only do it O/N because that's my choice.

Doing it 2nd day air saves you significant dough.

I go to FedEx online, buy, and print out the label, stick it on their flat rate box, bring it to their shipping hub (not FedEx store), and tell the nice lady, "Have another one going to FFL". She scans the label and gives me the receipt, and it's on its way.

Here is FedEx firearm shipping policy, Effective Date January 2, 2017.
http://www.fedex.com/us/freigh...ibited_articles.html
quote:
Firearms

Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.

Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.

The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

This FFL shipping is interesting. I was avoiding that, because I figured he would have to do a transfer - thereby ruining all the savings I would get using his shipping rate.

Is that not the case? Can he - as an FFL - ship it for me without a transfer?

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

This FFL shipping is interesting. I was avoiding that, because I figured he would have to do a transfer - thereby ruining all the savings I would get using his shipping rate.

If you shipped it to him yourself originally, then yes, he ships back directly to you.

But, if you used your FFL to ship originally, then he has to ship back to an FFL, not directly to you.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doing it 2nd day air saves you significant dough.

This. Our shop never ships overnight, unless the customer specifically requests (and pays) for it. ATF has no problem with 2nd Day delivery.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

If you shipped it to him yourself originally, then yes, he ships back directly to you.

But, if you used your FFL to ship originally, then he has to ship back to an FFL, not directly to you.

Im sorry, I meant "he" - my FFL. I'll try to word my question more accurately.

Can my regular FFL ship the pistol to WC on my behalf, without doing a transfer?

posted Hide Post
Guns going back to Sig with a shipping label from Sig ships two day air so I assume two day would be fine. I have a local FedEx store that will ship guns back to the manufacturer, maybe they don't know Fedex policy, but makes it easier for me that they take it. I have had UPS stores refuse to take guns.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cheapest way I've shipped things was by finding an ffl that's reasonable and have them ship it USPS priority mail. An ffl dealer isn't required to use overnight shipping.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3500 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Yes, the 2nd day service is a saver. I believe the hub vs franchise issue is solely because the franchised FedEx and UPS stores are just that, franchises. Here in Wickenburg, we have two local shops that are authorized shippers for FedEx and UPS. One is also a vacuum cleaner and sewing machine repair shop, the other a general purpose office supply and service store. Both of them accept weapons for shipment, and are fully versed on the requirements. This is how I learned about the 2nd day savings to begin with, from one of those stores. I rarely use this method any more anyway. The only advantage to shipping yourself is that the gun can be shipped directly back to you. Using my LGS/FFL to ship saves money on the shipping cost, and he can use Priority Mail, which is darned near as quick.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use FedEx Express Saver. That's the cheapest way to use FedEx and do it yourself.

FedEx only requires you use their Express business unit. Under Express you have in descending order from most expensive to cheapest:

First Overnight
Priority Overnight
Standard Overnight
2nd Day Early AM
2nd Day Standard
Express Saver

http://www.nraba.org/graphics/...ServiceMatrix(2).pdf

You can't use Ground or Home Delivery via Fedex on handguns because of their rules, not anything to do with ATF.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Check out www.shipmygun.com. I have used them satisfactorily. Cost was about $30 through UPS - not the $100 anticipated.

You pay them and they send you a shipping label to print out.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Check out www.shipmygun.com. I have used them satisfactorily. Cost was about $30 through UPS - not the $100 anticipated.

You pay them and they send you a shipping label to print out.

As I understand their website, the receiving dealers are select FFL's on file with Bud's. I looked and did not see Wilson Combat on their list. The OP would have to contact WC and have them send their FFL info to Bud's for verification before he can ship.

It seems like a good method if you find your local shipping rates outrageous.

Of course, they have an Affiliate program:
Affiliate Program
Our second service is our affiliate program. This program provides a commission for referrals to our service. So if you don't want to fully integrate with SMG you can simply add a link to our website and collect commissions for customers that you refer to us. This service works great for small businesses and bloggers to make some extra income.
source

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can my regular FFL ship the pistol to WC on my behalf, without doing a transfer?

So, let me get this straight. You want to take your gun to your FFL, have him ship it from his address, without doing any transfer paperwork? I'd say it's a big no no. Why would he, the FFL, want to do anything that would jeopardize his license?

Q

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, let me get this straight. You want to take your gun to your FFL, have him ship it from his address, without doing any transfer paperwork? I'd say it's a big no no. Why would he, the FFL, want to do anything that would jeopardize his license?

I don't think you are understanding what transfer means by the terms of an FFL.

It isn't a transfer if someone brings a gun to their FFL to have them ship it to a gunsmith, or manufacturer, to save on shipping. That is simply a shipment.

The FFL typically will require a copy of the FFL where it is being shipped to, and provide a copy of their FFL along with the shipment. When the firearms is returned, it MUST be returned to the FFL from where it was sent.

As long as the original owner of the firearm, the one who brought it to the FFL for shipment is the one receiving it, no transfer of ownership has taken place. Therefore no 4473 must be filled out.

4473 paperwork is only required when ownership or a firearms is being transferred.

This is why an individual may send in a firearms to a gunsmith or manufacturer provided they are a registered FFL, and the firearm can be sent directly back to the owner who sent it. No transfer of ownership takes place.

ATF regulations

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another
licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable
through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract
carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have
additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs
for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received
without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may
also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received
(18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except
in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or
customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom
received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post