SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I Picked Up An M18 Today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Picked Up An M18 Today Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
My favorite huge Adventure store had them on sale for $549, over $100 cheaper than my other two stores up the street.

The manual safety on this is why I like it over the 320. Some people like no safety, but I am a stickler for them.

I've wanted the M18 over the M17 simply because I like a shorter barrel.

This is replacing the Colt Trooper MKV as home defense duty.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice price. The ones in the counter by me are around $700.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Great gun at an amazing price. The M18 is exactly what I'd buy if I were in the market for a pistola.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Great price!

Oddly, we're in the opposite boat. I just packaged my M18 with an RMA for Sig to mail back Monday for repairs. Coincidentally enough, I picked up an old Trooper at the gun show a few weeks back, shot it, loved it and it's currently doing living room table home defense duty.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Nice pickup.

I think the 320 was one of the most innovative guns of the last few years. (I can't shoot them to save my life...and gave up after three copies...) I pretty much stuck to Glocks after that.

I still regret selling them. In CA, we can only get those second hand from LEO's or someone who brought them into the state legally. I may pick up our only option that just was introduced:

https://franklinarmory.com/ca320/

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I sorta kinda wanted what our military is now using. Like when they were using the M9 and I got the 92F as I liked the Italian gun better.

Heck, this has a 60 round loadout just in time for the riot season.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
That’s a fantastic price! Congrats

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent price, going rate been $650 for civilians. Slightly less for the gubmint. Bought mine and immediately sent the slide to Sig because of dead sights. Voiced my annoyance about lack of owners manual despite the inclusion of a library of useless paper. He said that was their number 1 complaint. They will sell you one or you can download it for free. I downloaded and printed from page 18? on. Manual doesn't tell you that you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on models w safety. Fast turn around on slide, They replaced the front and said they cleaned carbon off the rear, this on a unfired pistol. Sights still not good enough for my old eyes. Put a Romeo Zero on it. Would have rather had a Leopold but $$$ damn. Enjoy your M18

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Just to alleviate any doubters.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Paid more than that myself. I'm with you 100%, maybe it's all the years in the Army, but I'm a manual safety guy also. Carried the M9 and M17 a-lot; very effective and durable (Although I do not care for the extended/21rnd mags. M-18 was a natural buy. Very happy with it (Although my LASIK eyes have trouble with the front sight; factory sights do seem a bit dim, but plan on swapping it out for a Heine fiber-optic)

May I suggest you try the Wilson Combat Grip module. I went with the compact size and use 15 rnd mags for a flush fit. Really nice! definitely an easy 3 season EDC.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. Bought my dad an M18 for Christmas a couple years back. I've shot it a couple times it's a good shooting gun. $549 is a great price too.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3ACR_Scout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:
Manual doesn't tell you that you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on models w safety.

What? You don’t have to pull the trigger. That wouldn’t even work, because you have to pull the slide back to rotate the takedown lever, which resets the striker anyway. Lock the slide back, rotate the takedown lever, and then release the slide lock and ride the slide forward off the frame. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Posts: 128 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide will not go forward off the frame until trigger is pulled. IMG_0840 by Tom C, on Flickr

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:
Manual doesn't tell you that you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on models w safety.

Slide will not go forward off the frame until trigger is pulled.

That is not correct, and if yours actually does require it, that is not normal and you should get with Sig to send it for repair.

A P320 - manual safety or not - should not require pulling the trigger to remove the slide during disassembly.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When you twist the takedown lever forward, it pushes a lever backwards to disengage the sear.

You can see it at the front of the mag well.

If your takedown lever isn't pushing that back, there's a problem or your takedown lever isn't properly seated.

I've had mine apart to understand how it all works.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Wow ! Great price . Yesterday at a LGS they just got in an all black LE M18 . $639.00 . First LE M18 that I’ve seen .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger pull is not needed to disassemble the 320 in any version. If you pull the trigger prior to pulling/locking the slide back, it does not matter, as pulling the slide back to access takedown lever simply resets the trigger —- you cannot pull the trigger/fire the gun with the slide back, as it is disconnected.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take down lever is retracting take down lever bar, In the earlier pic you can see the bar tab outside of the hole in the slide catch body and the base of the bar is protruding into the mag well. Bar is not releasing sear. Ideas? Knowing me I'm probably going to take it apart. Fixing misassembled or replacing part preferable to returning to sig.

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Ditto most comments above. 100%: M-17/M-18: Trigger does not have to be pulled to remove slide.

Just now, I removed my slide w/o pulling trigger. In addition to manual safety, this aspect was part of my buying decision making. I want to say this may have also been part of the Military procurement spec... Neither M9 nor M17 require trigger pull. (FWIW: S.A. XDS and Walther P99 do)

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but here we are.
pic of sear protruding w. takedown lever in disassembly position. IMG_0846 by Tom C, on Flickr

Pic of take down lever bar in forward position
IMG_0841 by Tom C, on Flickr
pic of bar in rearmost position
IMG_0843 by Tom C, on Flickr

Only way to remove slide is to pull trigger as after slide moves forward and striker engages sear. Trigger is not disconnected. Is rearward most position of takedown bar correct? In earlier pic tyhe striker safety disconnect is forward and down. Is this correct position. pressing rearward does retract sear. I'm not going to disassemble further but I'm guessing the pin on the takedown bar isn't performing correctly. All ideas welcome. Looks like its going off to sig.