SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 shoots very low
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 shoots very low Login/Join 
posted
Bought a P226 legion a week ago and it shoots about 5 to 6 inches low at 6 yards. Use blaser 115 grain round nose.

Who makes sights that can reise the poi?

Posts: 10 | Registered: January 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a snap cap and place it randomly in your magazine next time you go to the range. I expect that when you pull the trigger on that snap cap you will discover why it's shooting so low. Don't feel bad, shoot long enough and every one of us will have to learn how to work thru an issue with flinching.

Note: did the math for your deviation and basically you would need a front sight 1/8 inch lower to correct for that much deviation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I'm not pretending to know your experience or level, but with a piece like that, I would strongly recommend putting it on the bench - or at least resting on a sandbag with both hands - before I started changing sights.

If that's what you did, or something similar, I don't know what to recommend other than maybe a lower front?

Most of the time when I have this happen I'll throw it on a rest with a sandbag (it's actually a rice sock, but we don't have to tell all our secrets) and I usually find...well, let's just say it's not a hardware issue. Wink

Posts: 10761 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That is REALLY low at such a close range. Definitely make sure it’s not shooter error. As above this is not to throw shade at your skill level and you may very well have validated it is a hardware issue but if you are experienced you will know the first suggestions you will get will be to make sure it’s the gun. Bench it and or have others shoot it.

If it’s found to be the gun I’d call SIG because that’s a pretty decent POI issue at that range at least IMO.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The age old question...what sight picture are you using?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yup. Are you using the "combat" sight picture with your SIG?

-MG

Posts: 2018 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with all above ^^^.
Shoot it of a rest.
Let someone else also shoot it to verify (someone competent).
Verify the actual sight picture.

I find it hard to believe it is that far off unless erroneously wrong sights installed on a new weapon and that is even more hard to believe.

My money is on sight picture.
Of course in all of this we are assuming no actual shooting error (jerking the trigger causing it to lower). Eek

Posts: 22953 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If you determine it’s the sights, Dawson precision makes good ones and has a handy calculator for determining the correct new height. Note that Dawson and everyone else measures from the top of the slide, and SIG measures from the bottom of the dovetail. So don’t use SIG’s published numbers when determining your current sight height; measure it from the top of the slide.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you see the number on your sights. Such as #6 or #8. Checking to see if it has the wrong heights.

DPR

Posts: 658 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies,
It will be back from sig on Monday and will bench it then. What really puzzells me is my P210 target does not shoot low.

I use a black on top of front sight normally. Tried that, combat sight and front site on top of black, all low.

Sig said it was within specs, as I said, will bench it when it gets back.

I come from the 1911 world and have about 40 years with them.

Just need to wait till monday.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, you tried III and it still printed low?

Sight Pics_3-Dot by kpkina, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I come from the 1911 world and have about 40 years with them.

I think you may have your answer. You are likely driving the gun down with a bad/unfamiliar trigger pull. DA/SA guns can take some acclimating to. 1911’s and P210s have wonderful (as a rule) single actions and I am making a SWAG your brain is still speaking 1911 to your paws Smile

I’m not ruling out a mechanical error, nor am I in any way calling out some perceived lack of skill or experience on your part I am just making a guess based on your above statement that you are driving the gun down on the trigger pull simply because you aren’t used to it yet. (Been there done that have the targets to show for it. Smile).

Good luck with it and if it is a technique thing I have no doubt it will “click” with you in no time.

What’s funny is I, conversely, have a lot of time behind DA/SA guns or DA revolves and I actually have a hard time with a really nice 1911 trigger until my brain acclimates back to them. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
What really puzzells me is my P210 target does not shoot low.

Does your P210 have fixed or adjustable sights?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Math correction
Quickie check 6” at 6 yards on 6” sight radius is .167” change.
Where to get such a sight?

Posts: 3292 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is ZERO chance 6" low at 6y has anything to do with sight picture, sights or anything to do with the gun. Its simply not possible short of a massive mechanical failure in the gun. 6" low at 6y is simply not fixable with ANY combination of std. sig sight dimensions.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11020 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I noticed the weird trigonometry too, but thought we should start with the basics.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Thanks for all of the replies.

Sight picture: I tried target, center hold, combat hold and front sight at top of black.

I think cslinger might be on to something. My p226 is a sao however the trigger is VERY different from my 1911, especially those with a tuned trigger. The p226 trigger feels mushy, mayby due to it rotating instead of straight pull to the rear.

When I get it back Monday I will put my Laser Ammo unit and dry fire at the electronic target about 100 times. (should of done this first)

Lastly, this is nothing against SIG customer service, they have been great.

posted Hide Post
One other thing you could try is using some 147 Grain ammo. I use a very firm hold on my pistols and found that my P365 shot low with 115 grain ammo but it was spot on perfect with 147 grain loads.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Are you familiar with Bruce Gray of Grayguns.com?
Give them a call and describe your trigger situation, they can do magic with 226 triggers.

Posts: 18095 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post