SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help Identifying Sig P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Identifying Sig P229 Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone -

I'm new to this forum so my apologies if this is in the wrong place. I recently acquired a brand new, never fired Sig P229 with original box and tags with serial number AD12677. I reached out to Sig directly asking if they could provide any information regarding the unit, but unfortunately they could not. I've copied/pasted the interaction below with details. Can anyone help me identify this pistol? Where it was manufactured? Year of manufacture? Pretty much any information would be amazing. Thank you in advance for any insight:

My email to Sig -

Serial Number

AD12677

Question / Concern

Hello Sig - I recently acquired a brand new in box, never fired Sig model p229 with serial number AD12677. I was wondering if you guys can provide any information regarding the unit such as date of manufacture, origin of manufacture, or any other information regarding the pistol? I can be reached anytime and would appreciate any insight on the pistol.

Reply from Sig -

Thank you for contacting SIG Sauer.

Your serial number pre-dates our database, which only goes back to 2005-2006. Unfortunately, we have no information regarding that serial number. We do not have access to German production numbers and apologize for the inconvenience.

Posts: 7 | Registered: June 12, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Based on the following thread, I'd say circa 1993.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...080042594#4080042594

If the it was wholly made in Germany, it should have German proof marks and possibly s/n on the frame, slide, & barrel. The proof marks will have a two letter date code (e.g., "KD") that indicates the year it was proofed.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Based on the following thread, I'd say circa 1993.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...080042594#4080042594

If the it was wholly made in Germany, it should have German proof marks and possibly s/n on the frame, slide, & barrel. The proof marks will have a two letter date code (e.g., "KD") that indicates the year it was proofed.

This is very helpful information, I appreciate it. I will check the pistol tonight for markings and take some detailed pictures.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing yours has the "Frame Made In Germany", was assembled at SIG USA in 1994, and has no German proof marks or date code.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'm guessing yours has the "Frame Made In Germany", was assembled at SIG USA in 1994, and has no German proof marks or date code.

Not exactly sure as I'm currently not near the pistol to check, but I will look at it tonight. How rare are these new in box, never fired, with all original accessories and such?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They are not at all rare in all conditions. But, any old SIGs that are NIB are not easy to find.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of the pistol:

https://ibb.co/album/kHyt1w

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup, exactly what I said above. Btw, it's missing the outer soft cardboard sleeve that has the factory labels.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, exactly what I said above. Btw, it's missing the outer soft cardboard sleeve that has the factory labels.

Thanks for the info my friend. How big of a hit is that if I were interested in selling it down the line?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Probably not much. Pry up the right side of the foam insert. There should be a factory label there, if the case is truly original to the gun (like below).

Q

posted Hide Post
ab17xxx/40 had the original trijicons.

40's had s/n on backside of barrel.

Posts: 2216 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably not much. Pry up the right side of the foam insert. There should be a factory label there, if the case is truly original to the gun (like below).

I do not have this sticker within the foam insert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
ab17xxx/40 had the original trijicons.

40's had s/n on backside of barrel.

No markings on the sight. I DO have the serial on the rear of the barrel though.

posted Hide Post
I have a ‘94 P229 in .40 with AD serial. “Triple serial” as frame, slide, and barrel all stamped matching. Realize, that doesn’t really mean anything other than it’s how it left the factory. It’s not like they’re all cut from the same block (they’re all different materials) or super hand fitted. If you really want to narrow the manufacture date down, pull the grips off and look at the date dial. Assuming original grips, the gun couldn’t have left the factory before that date.

I have baseless beliefs that the early P229s may have had frames come from Germany, but slides were milled in the US. My rationale is the German lines were set up to make the folded slides. When you switch to milling, do you set up duplicate machines in Germany and the US? Or just do it all in one place? And if they were all made in Germany, they tend to do proof marks.

Anyway, the P229, while one of the finest pistols ever made (I argue better than the P228!) is not a rare pistol. Yes “unfired” is rather rare. But what good is an unused pistol? So don’t worry about the cardboard sleeves or whatever. Could someone collect them? Sure. Doesn’t mean they’re “collectible.”

One thing to note about the early P229s: they had a different size firing pin positioning pin (FPPP) that was changed later. So if you ever replace it, make sure you get the right one. The takedown lever was also changed.

So enjoy your pistol! I bet it’s a tack driver!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post