SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shadow Systems Poet Warrior
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow Systems Poet Warrior Login/Join 
posted
I ordered one today, the CR 920 Poet Warrior which is the small one kinda like a Glock 43 or, maybe more like a G26.

I'd read a lot about the SS guns, especially about the 200 round recommended break-in period, which I didn't like one little bit).

But I ordered one, sold my G43 and am waiting, hopefully to get this one mid-week next week or maybe sooner. Never had any dealings with Sportsmans Guide, but that's the only seller of the Poet Warrior Model (which doesn't seem to have a nickel's worth of difference between it and a regular CR 920 ...uhhhh, except price).

Hopefully this will work out and I will post how this little thing shoots.

Bob

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CR920 is my current favorite of the micro9s. I like its flexibility and some of the compatibility of Glock parts. Mine is quite accurate and reliable. I'm still waiting for my Holosun EPS Carry but otherwise its a good little gun.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My CR920 is one of my favorite carry pieces, I can shoot it much better than the P365 I previously had.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the CR920 Poet Warrior out to the range today and let my new MR920 with a Holosun tag along. Had just gotten both and never fired either.

I had no-ZERO-malfunctions of any kind with the MR920, a Glock 19 look-a-like. I shot a mixture of FMJs, Federal and other self defense loads and some Black Hills Honey Badger 100 and 125 gr ammo. Worked so well, it was almost boring except for how accurate it was. I had two new Glock 19 mags and the two new Magpul mags that come with it. This fits perfectly in my G19 holster.

Then the little CR920. This is the size of a Glcok 43, BUT, none of my 43 holsters will fit because the grip is about the size of a G43X-larger in circumference than the X, so I ordered a new holster.

I had 7 mags, all Magpul, 2 10 rounders and 5 that hold 13. One of the tens was a used one (as were 4 of the 13 rounders) and I had a double feed right away with it. And it did it again, next shot. Two double feeds in a row with FMJ. Took that mag and stuck it in my pocket.

No other double feeds, but had two malfunctions with Federal hollow points in which the second round in the mag failed to feed. Pulled the slide back on both, let it fly forward and they both fed and, of course, fired.

Two other malfunctions in which the new round, picked up from the mag, failed to completely feed into the chamber, smacked the back of the slide and BANG! No other problems for the rest of pretty near 300 rounds total.

I will take the CR920 back for another firing after I clean it (I always clean my self defense guns after shooing them and this one is headed to that category), probably Tuesday.

As you probably know, Shadow Systems says a 200 round break in is necessary, and, on other forums, I see posts from shooters that make me think that's true with these. They are fit pretty tightly together. All I have seen say after the first 200, no other problems. I hope that works for me.

I am quite happy and I have always shot the little Glocks better than I shot either a P365 or a Hellcat (which is why I sold them) and I think these SS pistols are gonna be the same.

Bob

Posts: 1570 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I had 7 mags, all Magpul, 2 10 rounders and 5 that hold 13. One of the tens was a used one (as were 4 of the 13 rounders) and I had a double feed right away with it. And it did it again, next shot. Two double feeds in a row with FMJ. Took that mag and stuck it in my pocket.

The CR920 uses proprietary Shadow Systems mags. Are those what you have, or are you trying to make some other mags that weren't designed for the CR920 work? B/c if that's the case, it would obviously explain your feed problems.

I know the DR, MR, XR models come OEM w/ Magpul GL9 mags. They're polymer and have Magpul printed on them. The CR920 mags have steel bodies and are made by Checkmate for Shadow Systems.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know Checkmate made the mags for the CR920. I thought (could be wrong) that Magpul made them, too.

The mags seems fine, and as all the reviews I have seen says, as well as Shadow Systems, too, the guns need a 200 round break-in period. Several posters on other boards say they had to do that as well, but after the break-in, they became quite reliable.

I'm happy as a clam with both these guns. The MR920 has both Magpul and the two Glock 19 mags. I will likely carry it with the Glock mags.

I've never seen any aftermardet mags for the CR920, but prefer the ones I have. The 13 rounders are fine, so far.

I really don't use aftermarket mags unless they are Meggar, but of course that doesn't count the jillions of 1911 mags made by almost everybody. I sold my last 1911, so that's a journey completed.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Mine had one hang up during break in. As they have a stated break in I don't really count it. Its been great ever since.

I'm sure you know this already but mark that mag and see if it hangs up or if the gun just hung up on the round etc. SS seems to be good at taking care of folks if they have an issue.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I did mark it. It's a 10 rounder, used, that I got with 4 other used 13 rounders-prolly never try to use it again.

And, I went back to the range today, started off with FMJs, no malfunctions, switched to self defense hollow points, same results.

I'm well over 200 rounds in the gun now and it seems fine. I still want to take it back one more time, maybe after Church tomorrow, and shoot it with the ammo I intend to carry-like maybe 100 rounds or so. Two more 13 rounders arrived in the mail today. so wanna try them out.

The holster I ordered will be here Monday, so no hurry to shoot again. If I can't get there tomorrow, I'll go Tuesday as they are closed on Mondays.

I "think" this is gonna be my carry gun and I, so far, really like it.

Bob

Edit: I just didn't feel good today after Church. So, I am just resting at the house. Range opens again on Tuesday, so I'll go then, Lord willing.

Breaking my heart-I really want to shoot these guns some more. Got all the mags loaded with my self defense ammo and can't hardly wait to see if both work 100%.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

posted Hide Post
Well, I got to the indoor range early this morning just before it opened.

I took both my Shadow Systems and all the mags I had already loaded up plus my LCR MAX 380, which I'd only shot once before and my beloved Glock 42 with the flag decor cera-coated on the slide.

I shot the little Glock first and, of course, it worked perfectly using Hornady SD HPs. Then the LCR, a 10 round mag, a 12 rounder, then another 15 rounds split between the two mags. Worked as expected with no malfunctions. It's recoil, again as expected, is more than the G42, but easy to control and accurate. I had Hornady SD loads.

Then the MR920 with the Holosun. I would have sworn some gunsmith had done a trigger job on it since I last shot it. But, of course, no one did. It was so nice, the best Glock-type trigger I've ever felt and I have shot a LOT of Glocks since my first one in either '87 or '88 (not sure). Worked perfectly and I shot about a box of HP Self Defense loads, all Hornady.

Lastly, the little CR920. 121 Hornady SD loads just like the ones shot through the MR920. Felt recoil was a bit more (as expected since the guns are different in size and weight) and there were no malfunctions of any kind.

All four guns are being treated to an ultrasonic cleaning and I will pick them up tomorrow. The little CR920 is gonna officially be my EDC gun when I get it home.

Someone, maybe here, I don't recall, said the Shadow Systems guns are Glocks made the way Glocks oughta be. I have pretty much always liked Glocks, once I got a bit of practice with them many years ago and think highly of them, but the two SS guns I have make me think maybe the guy has something after all.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Thank you for those great posts and multi-day review.
Have you shot a G43 and G43X? How does the CR920 compare vs those two?
Does your CR920 have the original or refashioned barrel hood?
I am leaning towards picking one up. If Shadow Systems would also make a 4.2” barrel and upper, that would probably seal it - a G48 and a G43XS using the same magazines.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had multiple G43s and two 43X pistols. The gun just shoots, like a Glock. Feels a bit different in the hand that the 43 as the grip is a bit larger in circumference (10 or 13 round double stack mag) and it really feels a bit like a 43X with a shortened grip would feel, though I'm just supposing since I never saw a 43X with a shortened grip.

I simply love the feel and it carries like a 43 IMO.

I don't know about the change in the barrel hood, but mine is a pretty recent manufacture if that helps.

The real surprise, for me, was the MR920, similar to a Glock 19. One of the nicest handguns I have ever shot.

Bob

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I've had multiple G43s and two 43X pistols. The gun just shoots, like a Glock. Feels a bit different in the hand that the 43 as the grip is a bit larger in circumference (10 or 13 round double stack mag) and it really feels a bit like a 43X with a shortened grip would feel, though I'm just supposing since I never saw a 43X with a shortened grip.

I simply love the feel and it carries like a 43 IMO.

I don't know about the change in the barrel hood, but mine is a pretty recent manufacture if that helps.

The real surprise, for me, was the MR920, similar to a Glock 19. One of the nicest handguns I have ever shot.

Bob

Thank you.
I like the G43 very much, but the G43X grip always feels better — despite my having small hands.
So the “shortened G43X” with the wider grip didn’t feel “chunky” to you at all?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a bit subjective on my part, but, maybe a bit chunky, but overall a good feel. I genuinely like the gun.

Bob

posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably a bit subjective on my part, but, maybe a bit chunky, but overall a good feel. I genuinely like the gun.

Bob

Thanks very much.
Killin’ me…

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the appeal of these gaudy copies of Glocks. The companies producing them are doing so for profit, of course, but the consumer end of it- why?

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I can answer your question, Para. I never thought of the guns as Gaudy. I like the way both shoot, the features, the size and capacity of the CR920. The MR is the size of a 19 and it shoots, for me, like a house afire.

I've pretty much always liked Glocks after a bit of time using them. I've worked my way down to 43 or 43X sized Glocks and my CR920 is a bit smaller than the 43X, but has either a 10 or 13 round capacity + 1 in the chamber.

I got the CR920 for EDC and the MR920, I picked up just for the heck of it, not really expecting much, though I was intrigued by the Holosun 507C.

Edit to add: I got the warrior poet model for two reasons, there was enough of a cool factor for me (doesn't take much) and more importantly it was available NOW and the price was only a few bucks more than a couple of others that weren't available. I guess that might be gaudy to some, but I wanted it. There was one for sale on another forum, but the price was so near to the price I paid, I couldn't make myself do it. It's still for sale.

Bob

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't understand the appeal of these gaudy copies of Glocks. The companies producing them are doing so for profit, of course, but the consumer end of it- why?

Because Glock won’t make my 43XS, Boss.
I’d like just a little more hand-filling grip than a G43, that is still able to take a larger G48 magazine. (A seven round G43XS would be fine, just would like the slightly broader grip and compatibility with the G48.)
I actually prefer clean Glock lines (sans even forward serrations).

posted Hide Post
Still trying to answer Para's question and as I do, I recall some other things.

I was wrong when I said the Poet CR920 was more expensive than some other "plainer" CR 920s. While there were cheaper ones, the one I wanted was $796 from Buds (who always manages to add another forty-fifty bucks because I pay by credit card). The Poet, from Sportsman's Guide (only place that sells that model) was $750.

So I got the cut and plate to place a red dot on it, like a Glock MOS but, I think, more versatile-not sure about that though) and front night sight, front slide serrations which I actually use and stippling all in a size firearm Glock doesn't make.

Bob

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
If someone made a simple standard Glock slide as "optic ready" as Shadow Systems is, with as nice a sight set "out of the box" and with a frame that fits my hand as well as Shadow Systems does, I'd give them my money. No one does.

I love almost everything about the Glock frame EXCEPT the way it fits in my hand, which is awful. I mean, literally, useless for carry/self defense purposes out of the box FOR ME. Every Glock I owed pre SS was sent to Dane Burns for a $200 grip reduction and Heinie straight 8 sights. For less than the cost of a Glock plus a reduction, plus good front sights in SS I get all that stock with the gun (so I haven't f'd up the value of the gun by my personallizing the frame), a magwell (YMMV), a fantastic optics ready slide and some nice upgrades (nice finger rests on the frame, spiraled barrel, slight beavertail), and some things that, personally, I would do without (for example I hate the bronze barrals and do only black DLC) and the slide serrations. But again, I've only paid for a Glock plus installation of a good set of night sights and gotten all of the above.

Do I miss the weight of the stock Glock slide. Frankly, yes. But I'll practice with the SS and deal with it. Oh, and I forgot: until SS made it, no manufacturer made the Glock 17 slide on a 19 frame. And for that I'd take having to have a bronze, threaded, spiraled barral, and of those I only had to tolerate one (the spiraling) to get my sweet reverse Glock 45.

Anyway, my $.02 re Shadow Systems specifically. I have other, different feels about ZEV and Agency but having actually shelled out zero money for either, I won't comment.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you took me back, Lowsmith, I hadn't thought about Dane Burns in years.

Probably 15 years ago, maybe more like 20, I had him reduce the grip on a Glock 21. Great job, took about 3 months, and expensive IMO, but a very nice feel to the gun.

And there was a guy here fairly recently, a Texas officer who did the same thing, less money, a little less time but a great job. He did my beloved G42.

Not sure why he hasn't been around for the last year or so, at least I haven't seen him here.

But, to your point, for me, only the smaller Glocks really fit my hand. The 43 & 43X to be precise. And the 43X's grip is a bit too long for me to conceal the way I feel comfortable. Another reason I like my CR920.

Bob