SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying a 10mm, what say you ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a 10mm, what say you ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I saw a new springfield XDM in 10mm. One is a long slide, but the other has a 4.5 in barrel that looks like it could be carried. Most 10mm guns are too big to carry for most folks, but the 4.5 XDM looks like it might work. Aside from the problem of recoil recovery etc., what do you think about EDC in urban environs ? (ie, not outdoors, on the trail, DG protection, etc)

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Do it. It's not that much bigger to carry and well, it's a 10 millimeter Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Glock 20 regularity. Keep in mind though that I live in AK so even in the summer it’s often hoody/flannel weather so it’s easy to keep it covered.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
Why not? With most off the shelf ammo it is about the equivalent of a .40 S&W, and with hotter ammo it is similar to a .357 Magnum with heavy loads.

As a guy who was shooting 10mm Auto long before it was cool to do so, I am not as impressed with the round as many seem to be. It IS NOT the over the top powerhouse it is made out to be. More powerful than other common service calibers... Sure. Not by enough to be worried about carrying it.

Like I said... Most off the shelf ammo in 10mm Auto is about equal to decent .40 S&W. It just costs more, and is cooler to talk about these days.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, give it a try. Only you can decided if it is too much gun for you or not. No doubt, the 10mm offers the broadest range of effectiveness of any popular auto cartridge. Often times I've found much better satisfaction in things when I travel the rockier path.

Posts: 731 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Seems like Deputy617 has it covered in his above response!
Woods carry, I'd prefer revolver. Urban carry, why not the XD that you're considering!
I've considered a Glock in 10mm, but fired a shooting buddy's one range session... didn't care for 10mm through a polymer frame.

If nothing else, get the XD so you can share pics and range report, ha!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I carry both my SIG P220-10mm and my Ruger GP-100 10mm Wiley Clapp model regularly. They both use Underwood 180gr Gold Dots, which is definitely not "off the shelf" ammo. The round has almost identical ballistic characteristics as the .357 magnum, but with less recoil. I practice with SIG 180gr FMJ, which might be considered "off the shelf", but it is definitely not in the range of .40 180gr ammo. The SIG 10mm ammo leaves the muzzle at 1250fps, while the Underwood goes at 1300fps.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One of the worst things someone can be taught about defensive weapons is that they won’t be effective if the time ever comes to use them for that purpose. That’s why I object to the ridiculous claim that handguns aren’t very good for the purpose. They are actually excellent for the purpose, and the best available weapon for having with us all the time.

Ironically, at the other end of the spectrum is the claim that all handgun cartridges perform equally well in a self-defense role. That’s not quite as ridiculous as “handguns are poor defensive weapons,” but it’s close. If we have any doubts that a particular cartridge may not stop a deadly attack as well as another, then we should choose something that we have more confidence in. That’s one of the reasons why I usually carry a pistol chambered for 357 SIG rather than, say, 9mm.

But power and other ballistics factors aren’t the only thing to consider in a self-defense weapon. We need to be not only confident of the cartridge’s effectiveness, but also in our ability to carry the gun when we should and to be able to shoot it fast and accurately if required. That’s why many people carry smaller guns chambered for less powerful cartridges—it’s far better to do that than carry nothing at all.

Try carrying the gun and shooting the cartridge that appeals to you. But don’t become so infatuated with any gun and cartridge that we become blind to their faults and limitations, and to one’s own abilities.

That’s what I say. Smile

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you get underwood or Lehigh ect. Most off the shelf ammo is loaded to .40 specs which is straight up bait and switch.. but with most carry ammo it’s just big soft shooting .40. I keep my G20 in my night stand with that ammo, but I wouldn’t carry it. I keep the full power stuff for the woods.
Which is something you might want to consider, do you want to be launching full power 10mm in public if something happens? If it over penetrates or you miss it’s your ass.
If you want a .40, get a .40 they are dirt cheap these days

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Any cartridge that is suitable for self-defense can launch bullets that are capable of passing through a human target with enough energy to injure or kill someone behind the target.
And it is obviously true that any cartridge suitable for self-defense is capable of unintentionally injuring or killing someone if we miss the target.

quote:
“I think the bottom line in my experience is don’t pick the best round by what the best round to miss with is.”
jljones, SIGforum, 20 September 2013

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have no problem carrying a 10mm -- I have a G20 that I'll carry in certain circumstances. But I'd not carry anything Springfield that's *not* a 1911.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has carried a G29 for years. Thinking about missing your target is a waste of time when it comes to self defense. If we all worried about that, we wouldn’t carry.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I never had one or shot one, but I have always thought that they were more like a .41Mag.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My personal carry choices focus on what gun I shoot the best that I can conceal at the applicable time.

So, I say #1, if you shoot and handle it well, and #2, if you can conceal it safely and effectively - and draw well from your chosen carry method, then I say go for it.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
If you live in a climate where you can dress around a gun that carries 10mm and you practice enough with it to be comfortable in its emergency usage, then why not? Having options and choices is what makes it fun. How boring would it be if we all had to carry the exact same model and caliber forever?

I could care less what caliber, model, action type of a gun that anyone else carries. I may have an opinion, but it's just that. It's the point that someone invests enough of themselves to burden that responsibility that matters.

Now go strap on that 10mm and go about daily life!

For the record, my go to woods gun in AK is my Sig P220 10mm loaded with the heavy buffalo bore stuff. It's reliable, accurate and handles the heavy stuff very well. I tried the Glocks, still have a 40 ready to go, but always end up leaving them behind in favor of the Sig.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I do. A Ruger SR 1911. Also the Springfield XDM some.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 29 with Underwood 135gr. for urban carry. Woods 180gr. unless in active bear country then 200gr. All viable options in my world.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
When I trek out into the woods, I have either SIG 220 or my Glock 20 in 10mm. Im comfortable.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critter44:
I do. A Ruger SR 1911. Also the Springfield XDM some.

Which xdm are you carrying, the 4.5 or 5.25 ?

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Unless you get underwood or Lehigh ect. Most off the shelf ammo is loaded to .40 specs which is straight up bait and switch.. but with most carry ammo it’s just big soft shooting .40. I keep my G20 in my night stand with that ammo, but I wouldn’t carry it. I keep the full power stuff for the woods.
Which is something you might want to consider, do you want to be launching full power 10mm in public if something happens? If it over penetrates or you miss it’s your ass.
If you want a .40, get a .40 they are dirt cheap these days

I would carry urban ammo for the street, not hunting ammo. So your point of overpenetration may lack merit for typical 10mm defense ammo, which when driven harder, seem to penetrate less not more, further limiting chances for overpenetration. Well based on gel teting I've seen. Are there any cases of overpenetration in righteous SD or police shooting cases ? I've never heard of any cases like that, but are there any ?