SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Odd P-226 magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd P-226 magazine Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
Picked up a nice gold boxed German 226 last year. One of the mags has P 226 engraved on the floor plate, the other does not. Both are as pictured standard zipper back mags. The date code on the gun is JJ 1988.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The one with P226 engraved on the floorplate is contemporary to your 1988 pistol. You'll find the toe of the floorplate to be just a bit longer than the other magazine, I think.

Posts: 107660 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The mag on the right that we can see has a dovetail back, not zipperback.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The mag on the right that we can see has a dovetail back, not zipperback.

Zipperback on the left.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I wish they would mark all mags with the model/caliber.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4138 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
You know I have owned many many Sigs in the past at least 15 and never remembered seeing the 226 marking on the bottom. I went and pulled out my mags for my 1977 P-220 and there were the two original mags with the small font caliber. one a zipper back and the other a dovetail. Many years later I bought 3 leftover mags from Sig and those are the large font.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1988JJ p226 bought new in 1988. The p226 dovetailed stamped floor plate mag is the one that came with the gun in the box from the factory. I ordered another magazine when I bought the gun. It was dovetailed but did not have the slightly longer and p226 stamped floor plate. The zipper back mags were much later, think they mid 1990’s.

Posts: 270 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
...The zipper back mags were much later, think they mid 1990’s.

There are no zipper back P226 mags, only dovetail. And why that is so has always been a mystery to me.

Btw, the zipper back mag in Udo's pic above is that of a P228, not P226.

Q

Posts: 26433 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post