SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about some FUN discussion. What's Your Favorite Handgun Caliber and Why? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I also spell fun "357". I like the power, and how flat-shooting it is.

You need to try some Blue Dot loads. That way you can roast the game as you kill it. Seriously, it tosses the biggest flash of any powder I've seen.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
For fun shooting, I prefer a revolver to a pistol. My carry guns are 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm.

My favorite cartridge to shoot in a revolver is the .44 magnum with .45 Colt a close second. My first owned handgun as a teenager was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum.

I currently own an 8" Colt Anaconda in .44 magnum that is an open carry hunting handgun. My 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 magnum is for fun shooting. My 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum is for rural concealed carry.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI .22LR SV shot from my suppressed S&W Model 41
It’s the one gun I shoot almost every range trip.

Suppressed .45ACP is a close second.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You know I stand by .45 ACP being my favorite but I think the most sheer giggle fun I have ever had with a pistol round was .22TCM. So much flash and bang...no recoil. I always sort of said this in my head in “The Genie’s Voice” when I shot it.

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER.....itty bitty recoil. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I enjoy 9x18, or 9mm Makarov if you prefer. Fun, cheap, accurate, and just an all around good time.

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
38 Special.
Loaded in 158gr LSWC it has been my favorite for many years. This is an easy round to load for a ton of fun at the range. When it is in the 135gr hollow point flavor, it’s a pretty nice self defense round. A lot of police departments used the 38 as their duty weapon for about 60 years, so it has a little nostalgia to go along with it.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
All about the cool 9 Cool

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying reading about what everybody has FUN shooting vs arguing why your or their or my boogeyman caliber is bested because.

Thanks all I appreciate it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Appreciate you starting a "FUN" thread, sir Smile

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
CCI .22LR SV shot from my suppressed S&W Model 41
It’s the one gun I shoot almost every range trip.

I really need to try to budget in a Clark threaded and railed barrel this year. It’s the one thing I keep forgetting. I’ve always wanted a suppressed .22 pistol and the Model 41 with a Clark is about as good a host as I can think of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.357 mag
works in revolvers and lever actions
will do what ever you need within 100 feet
has a second caliber , should you need it
shoot well with it in my GP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
10mm if could only have one but 357Sig also a great choice.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
38 Super out of a government (aka full size) all steel 1911. So easy to shoot, not a lot of recoil (even with screaming loads), no worries about feeding.

Closely followed by 22lr out of a silenced Buckmark. Quiet, no recoil to speak of, like eating snacks until it gets too dirty to run, inexpensive ammo.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m still content with the 40, nothing wrong with the 9mm either. I still have a soft spot for the 357 mag wheel gun, though mostly shoot 38s.

I guess the ‘guy with one gun’, could get by with a 9mm these days, evaluating the ammo choice for intended use. I do like a few extra rounds, that takes me away from the 45 acp. somewhat.

For many(often new shooters) a 3-4” wheel gun covers a lot of bases. When I find a Ruger Security-Six for <$350 in great shape I have a hard time passing it up.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 45ACP. Just fun. Fun to squeeze those fat rounds into a single stack mag. Fun to shoot. Fun to see the big hole or mark on the target. More fun to retrieve brass (vs 9mm). I’ve never tried a 45LC but I suspect I’d find that equally appealing, especially in loading the rounds into the cylinder of a nice SA revolver.

Thanks for the thread. Been wanting to pose a similar question as to .40 vs .45, but I figured the thread would invariably wander off into boring, practical considerations - ie capacity, stopping power, cost, availability, etc.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
.45 ACP for auto and .44 magnum for revolvers.

I like shooting big bore, but don't go for crazy loads in either of them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Practice with 9mm ... carry 357 Sig.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I don't discriminate, I like 'em all!

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
INCLUSIONIST!!!

Big Grin

Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post

Why? Because I read Skeeter Skelton early in my handgun career. 7.5 grs of Unique under a 250 gr Keith SWC - nothing finer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post