SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P227 Login/Join 
posted
I happened across a P227 TacOps TB. I have always thought this would be a great End of Days sidearm. 14+1 of the 45 ACP would be a positive. I’m finding that lots of people say that it’s not reliable. I have many P226’s and every one of them is 100% reliable. Can someone with hands on experience chime in. Don’t want to invest in one if I will be dissatisfied. Thank you!

Posts: 62 | Location: Seattle  | Registered: September 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reliability issue stems from early complaints about problems with the 14 round mags. I believe that has been addressed. My 227 was 100%.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it!

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Yooper said. I only have 10 round mags, no 14 round, but the weapon itself has been flawless.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have had my 227 for many years now, I have found it to be just as reliable as my P220s have been

As stated above the early 14 round magazines had some issues. I purchased my 14s after they changed the packaging from poly bags to the boxes. The new ones are all working just dandy

If you do not already know, changing the locking piece in the magazines to a metal one from a P226 magazine allows the follower to continue moving down and makes room for one more round in either magazine

The plastic locking piece has very long fingers that stop the followers travel. It was a P320 or P250 shooter who passed that tip along to me several years back. This is apparently a very common modification to those firearms

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
My P227 is every bit as reliable as my P226.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I purchased mine from our old member, Mississippi Gal, when they first came out. I have the 227 SAS Carry model. Mine has been wonderful with no issues.

Colt_saa those grips look really nice on your 227. I still have the factory grips on mine.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the above. The reliability problems were due SOLELY to the 14-round mags. I personally don't know if that issue was ever corrected.

YooperSigs mentions that it was corrected. If so, I have no idea how you could identify which 14-rounders were in the early-unreliable or later-reliable category.

In 2014 the PA State Police transitioned to P227's. One shooter in our weekly defensive shooting group was a PA Trooper. He and three other Troopers ordered a bunch of 14-round mags for their duty guns. In all four cases, the 10-rounders were utterly reliable. In all four cases, the 14-rounders were utterly unreliable. It was not the guns or the ammo.

There were a number of posts here a few years ago regarding the issue. Don't know if they are available to access anymore.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
I stole (bought) this new in the box Sig 227 SAS last fall. What a great gun.

[/url]

Cut down a set of the Hogue grips they made for Sig which accomodated their ill fated 14 round mags.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 426 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stole (bought) this new in the box Sig 227 SAS last fall. What a great gun.

[/url]

Cut down a set of the Hogue grips they made for Sig which accomodated their ill fated 14 round mags.

Trooper Joe[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Posts: 426 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should watch the video from Nutnfancy on YOUTUBE for his awesome review of the 227.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
I guess you either love or hate the E2 textured grips .
I think they are just right for my P227 Nitron Carry. That pistol is ghostly accurate with 230 FMJ. (That is what most .45’s are sighted for.)

The gun would be improved with a Sig Armorer trigger job. But it’s fine with a standard .

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 186 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I will probably never own one as they came and went in a window that didn’t work for me but damn they are a comfortable pistol and if you love the P220 these are right in the wheelhouse.

I personally would never risk the 14 round mag. 10 rounds of .45 is plenty for me. (Don’t jump on me I am not saying all YOU need is 10 rounds blah blah FUDD blah blah). I am just saying that for me personally 10 rounds of .45 is comfortable enough for me.

I really like the P227.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post