SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did a patent run out on the Glock 19 or what???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did a patent run out on the Glock 19 or what??? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Why all of a sudden is EVERYBODY making a “Glock 19” of their own? PSA, POF, Nomad, etc. etc.

Did the patent expire? Now that everybody makes 1911s is everybody gonna make a Glock now? I though SIG 1911 was a bit humorous but I can’t want for the SIG SG19 Smile

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm waiting for the Taylor Swift version, but that's just me.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Gen 3 I believe that is the case, great for the consumer!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
On the Gen 3 I believe that is the case, great for the consumer!

Correct

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
My guess is it's one of if not the best seller?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

H&K-Guy

Man, Not me. I need a little soul. I want a commemorative Aretha Franklin version.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a major reason for the new generation Glocks that are very non-compatible with the 3rd gen (I had been wondering for a while why they went to the Rube Goldberg recoil spring). If Glock sat on the gen 3 long enough, they were going to find their brand re-cast as the low-end "budget" version of the design.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, the Glock 19 is one of, if not the best raw self defense firearms ever.

....but GAH I don't want to see eleventy billion versions of them.

Chris

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, the one with Style.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
G19, the AR-15 of pistols.

Which honestly is fine - Gaston and Glock are still doing fine selling the latest and greatest to LE / MIL.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't know what patents Glock has or had, but think about timing. Patents, IIRC, last 17 years. What was Glock shipping in 2003. Anything they made at that point, or likely somewhat later, is now up for grabs. And given that the Glock design hasn't changed very much in a couple of decades, I don't know how hard it would be to design a clone of newer Glocks while tip toeing around later patents.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
They probably finally figured out the smart money is to make a Glock 19 clone rather than another "Glock 19 killer" in a long line of those that tried and failed. Assuming these clones are using Glock 19 magazines, that will be a huge plus too.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Part of the Great Awakening- a future in which everyone will own a Glock.

Unbelievers will be purged, probably with a Glock.

Posts: 107627 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If one has 5 Glocks can they skip the purge even if I uhhh they prefer HKs.

Asking for a friend. Smile

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I don't know what patents Glock has or had, but think about timing. Patents, IIRC, last 17 years. What was Glock shipping in 2003. Anything they made at that point, or likely somewhat later, is now up for grabs. And given that the Glock design hasn't changed very much in a couple of decades, I don't know how hard it would be to design a clone of newer Glocks while tip toeing around later patents.
I'm sure it can be done, but can it be done with a realistic business model..?

Likely not, as Gaston's crew had machines, molds, plastic goo, and food coloring paid for and running hard to fill contracts.

And who do you want to buy from, Glock or some startup company trying out out Glock Glock, with a 99% Glock? The fact that Glock could sue them into bankruptcy before the case is even heard is another likely road block to a company trying to thread the needle of stealing a patent.

I think most realize that there is money to be made selling aftermarket Glock parts with some delving into Glock pistols where patents have expired, ala all the Gen 3 cloneish types popping up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The business plan is be a lot cheaper while still being good. A lot of the now many near but not quite clones (Smith M&P, FN 509, Canik TP9, CZ P10, Taurus G2C and G3, etc., etc.) are doing pretty to very well using this model.

The dirty secret is that Poly-striker guns a REALLY cheap to produce, maybe somewhere in the range of $100-150 a piece. Glock it laughing all the way to the bank selling them for $500-600. The other manufacturers are selling cheaper to build market share.

Up to now, the Glock-a-likes gave been similar, but not quite direct clones. The 80%-ers were probably the first true clones. Now PSA is cutting all pretense. And they'll probable sell enough to make money at it.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm sure it can be done, but can it be done with a realistic business model..?

Likely not, as Gaston's crew had machines, molds, plastic goo, and food coloring paid for and running hard to fill contracts.

And who do you want to buy from, Glock or some startup company trying out out Glock Glock, with a 99% Glock? The fact that Glock could sue them into bankruptcy before the case is even heard is another likely road block to a company trying to thread the needle of stealing a patent.

I think most realize that there is money to be made selling aftermarket Glock parts with some delving into Glock pistols where patents have expired, ala all the Gen 3 cloneish types popping up.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did a patent run out on the Glock 19 or what???

Well, patents are only good (typically) for 20 years, so …

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock G19 and a P80 G19 clone.
I like the clone better.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:

H&K-Guy

You Sir ... owe me a new keyboard!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:

H&K-Guy

Now that's, damn Big Grin funny!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post