Find
Notify
Tools

Circa 1966 Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted

Just got this in a will, a pistol just like the one I had back in the day when I was shooting postal matches at Oregon State with other universities. I bought mine for $125 used and sold it 3 years later for the same amount. Good to have another one again!

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Perfect for the Sigforum postal match!

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is something. Very nice.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a "Slant Grip Ray Gun" but sold it to a collector, preferring to shoot the Citation Military with grip angle like my 1911.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My dad had a version of that with the shorter bbl. First pistol I ever shot and my most favorite 22lr ever.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. That is an awesome pistol. I put untold number of rounds through a similar Supermatic Trophy.

Posts: 445 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Love the old High Standards. Long gone art work.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My first handgun was a Duramatic. Nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. However, I still have it and it shoots just fine.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I inherited one of those from my father. He shot in a rimfire bullseye league in the early 60's. They shot at the local high school range - remember those?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1958-vintage Model 102 Supermatic Tournament I inherited in 1994. It originally came as a 2-barrel set (4-1/2 & 6-7/8 IIRC), but when I inherited it, the longer barrel was long gone. The Tournament barrels were like bull barrels, and had a specific front sight. I was finally able to buy the correct long barrel on eBay back in 2017.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I was in the OSU Pistol Club from 1966 till 1968 when I went to a college in CA... ahh no pistol club there.
The Pistol Club at Oregon State University is still up & running, I am amazed.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my High Standards!

I have a 1956 and a 1980

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39754 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
got a handful of them, including a rapid fire model,

will post pics when I get a chance,

picked up a similar space gun a couple years ago that someone had abused, as it it was rusted , severly, on the outside, but the barrel's bore and internals are fine,

I also have a space gun that belonged to a guy chosen for the 1980's olympics,
he was not one to take care of stuff apparently, and the gun is a numbers not matching,

first franken HS I have ever seen,

here is one I found a pic off on this laptop

https://imgur.com/a/0Cgv9rg

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
and another, sold to USAMU

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Good morning Lyman, that is the strangest, most altered, slant grip Olympic I have ever seen. The weights I get but, it looks as if the saddle mounted rear sight is deleted, a High Standard rear target has been dove tailed right into the barrel and for some reason, the slide is bolted fast in place by a cap screw? The 2nd block of metal, also bolted below its slide is a absolute curve ball. What looks like a bolt racker has been added to a bolt face? Strangest .22 short I have ever seen. I took notice of its extended front sight as well. Looks to be the sight for a 1911. Who ever builds the for the AMU is not of this world. Can you explain anything of the pistol?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My introduction to pistol shooting was as a teenager with a bullseye pistol club in the late 1970’s.
We didn’t have our own range, and also used a local high school range for our “ home” matches, and traveled all around the region to shoot at other clubs, including some over the border in Canada.

I often recall going to Canadian matches, driving up to the custom officer on the Canadian side of the border, and when he asked where you going - oh to the pistol club for a shooting match
“What’s in the car?” Six handguns and 300 rounds of ammo is the reply.
OK have fun and waved us through a different time for sure.

My first pistol of my own was a high standard citation. I shot 3 bullseye pistol leagues in my youth, and would run about a brick of ammo a week out of that gun ( bought used from a former state bullseye champion who moved to a “better” gun)
This is long before the internet and talk of spring replacement intervals. I battered that gun to death firing somewhere between 250 and 300 thousand rounds before it fell apart.
I bought it in about 1980 for $250.
A local gunsmith bought it from me broken to use for spare parts and paid me $250 about 20 years later.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Good morning Lyman, that is the strangest, most altered, slant grip Olympic I have ever seen. The weights I get but, it looks as if the saddle mounted rear sight is deleted, a High Standard rear target has been dove tailed right into the barrel and for some reason, the slide is bolted fast in place by a cap screw? The 2nd block of metal, also bolted below its slide is a absolute curve ball. What looks like a bolt racker has been added to a bolt face? Strangest .22 short I have ever seen. I took notice of its extended front sight as well. Looks to be the sight for a 1911. Who ever builds the for the AMU is not of this world. Can you explain anything of the pistol?

not built by the AMU, but for them by High Standard,

22 short rapid fire gun,

barrel has ports on the top at the chamber that can be closed by set screws, the bolt is alloy and the part with the high standard name is a sheet metal dust cover,

the 2 round things on the barrel are weights,

somewhere I have a printed copy of the serail number run and where this one was sent, (we have another that is missing the dust cover) and IIRC this was the one that went to AMU, the other to the Navy,

info came from John Stimson, when he had the HS forum running,