SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me BHP made in 2001
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me BHP made in 2001 Login/Join 
posted
This should go well with my 5 to 6 Sigs.

I found this pristine, 2001 date of manufacture, Browning Hi-Power, “Practical” series yesterday.

Over the years, I have had a 2018 (probably the last year made) blue, BHP as well as two Argentine models.

Due to the very harsh trigger pull on my last BHP. I sold all of these guns.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when Springfield Armory announced their SA-35. I have my name on several wait lists and started to research these BHPs again. I tried to buy back my 2018 BHP from my friend but he wants to keep it.

This two tone “Practical” model I found yesterday has a very nice trigger pull (I would guess about 5 or 6 pounds). It still has the magazine disconnect in it and in spite of that the trigger pull is very good. It does have two 10 round magazines since it was sold in 2001 {Same year as manufactured). These mags have that neat drop free assist system. I remember I had several of that type when I owned the earlier guns.

I did notice that my brand new Mec-Gar 13 and 15 round BHP magazines do not drop free which is OK.

I do plan on changing out that 32# main spring on it to a 30# or 28# as soon as possible. I have some Wolff recoil and main springs coming as we speak.

When I first saw this at the gun shop yesterday, I thought it was some type of stainless frame and I was a little lukewarm about the gun. In a few minutes I started to really like the gun so it followed me home. Later last night, I found out that the frame finish was some type of satin hard chrome.

I guess I have just completed a 50 year circle on the BHP since I was issued one as a State Police Detective in 1974.

Checked the prices on the net for the BHP last night any found that I got mine for $300 to $400 less so I am a happy camper.

Just some ramblings,

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
It still has the magazine disconnect in it and in spite of that the trigger pull is very good.

I did notice that my brand new Mec-Gar 13 and 15 round BHP magazines do not drop free which is OK.

Removing the magazine disconnect will not only clean up the trigger a bit, it should also allow magazines to drop free.

It's not difficult. Field strip to remove the slide from the frame. Drive out trigger pin from the frame. Remove the trigger from the frame. Drive out the little detent pin towards the rear of the trigger. Remove the magazine disconnect spring and plunger from the rear of the trigger. Reinstall the trigger into the frame. Reinstall the trigger pin.

(You can even accomplish it without driving out the trigger pin and removing the trigger from the frame, but that requires some wiggling and jiggling and prying in tight areas.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can add the Cylinder & Slide "combat trigger" which doesn't have the hole to attach the magazine disconnect. Does wonders for the trigger.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I’ve always liked the look of the Practical models.

I never had any of the “mousetrap” mags but understood they were a boon for BHPs that still had the magazine disconnect safety installed.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I had one 12 years ago but sold it due to divorce. Nice find and sounds like a great price.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Looks like a keeper. Just add some standard capacity magazines!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nra-life-member:
Looks like a keeper. Just add some standard capacity magazines!

I lucked out before I even found this gun last week. Since I have my name on several wait lists for a SA-35 from Springfield Armory, I ordered two of their 15 round mags fromthem within a few days. I also ordered two 13 round MecGar mags and received them right away also.

A couple days ago, I found two 13 round, Browning branded mags with the “mousetrap” ejection assist system. I really like these ejection assist mags since I don’t plan to remove the mag safety from this gun at least for now.

Enclosed is a little better photo of my BHP.

Yesterday I found my copy of Steve Camp’s BHP book that I thought I had given away. What a great read especially with my new to me BHP sitting next to me.

Interesting thing I found in Mr. Camp’s book was that some Browning branded mags had a finish on them that assisted in a smoother trigger pull. I found that to be true with these 10 round mags that came with this gun.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, very nice find of a beautiful pistol. I really like the Practical & Silver chrome models of the HP. Enjoy

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an extraordinarily nice Practical you landed. I don’t think I’ve seen a BHP of any sort in any of our LGSs in several years, much less one as lightly used as yours. My Mark III (with the epoxy finish) was built in 2009 and I never had any magazine disconnect or trigger work done on it because the trigger was OK. I had been issued BHPs off and on for almost 20 years before I bought one of my own, so maybe I was just used to the grittiness. The 13- and 10-round MEC-GARs I have all seem to drop freely, sometimes needing a flick of the wrist. The mousetrap mags, of course, fly out of there. Good luck with your Practical. Stephen Camp’s book is a goldmine of info, as is his website. He left us too early.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my second trip to the range. The first trip was as I bought the gun (32# main spring with the stock 17# recoil spring, quarter size group at 15 yards and it fed everything}.

Since the hammer was very stiff to cock, I decided to install a 28# hammer spring followed with an 18.5 # recoil spring to make up for less main spring reoil buffer. Everything was again perfect today. I have noticed that my 15 round SA-35 magazine (made my MecGar) has started to drop free even though it does not have a mouse trap system like my 10 round Browning mags. I ordered some 13 round Browning mags with the mouse trap from Midway and received them today after returning from the range. The trigger pull with the Browning mags is very smooth due to the type of coating Browning had specified (it allegedly lets the mag safety system slide smoother over the front of the mags according to Steven Camp).

Love this gun. Everything works as it should. I have my name on several lists for a SA-35 but I will be in no real hurry for one.

Oh, also, I installed a set of G-10 Hogue grips on the gun which I really like.

Trooper Joe

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I always have loved the look and idea of the Hi Power, but they just don't fit my hand all that well.

Too bad.

Yours looks great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful HP Joe, it looks new! Congratulations and thanks for posting the pics of it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
Nice find Tpr Joe, congrats Smile. Great shape...and an unusual Practical Model in that it's fitted w/ a spur rather than the usual ring hammer.....

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I always have loved the look and idea of the Hi Power, but they just don't fit my hand all that well.

Too bad.

That IS a shame. The first time I held a BHP I knew I'd have to have a special one...perfect ergonomics--for me.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post