SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking of getting rid of my j-frames
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of getting rid of my j-frames Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m still a J-Frame fan. The ‘bodyguard’ is a favorite. I recently bought the ‘ultimate carry’ in 32 H&R mag. At the same time I bought a Taurus in 327 Federal.

Desires change over time. Back before CC became commonplace, I sold a J frame 38, thinking I’ll never need this. It was replaced, but later I had a desire.

That $450 you got from a sale easily dissolves. I have sold a few guns after careful consideration. I had a heavy pump 12 ga, 3.5” chamber, gone. The same with a heavy A-5 semi-auto after I got my minty ‘sweet-sixteen’ dated 1952.

Posts: 6422 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need money, I understand it. I have only sold one gun in my lifetime and I regret it. I simply don’t like to sell them.
I don’t enjoy shooting my J Frames but I really appreciate their practicality. They are great guns that never have problems.
If you can afford it, keep them. As times go by you will appreciate them more.

Posts: 141 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with 92FSTech’s longer post regarding J’s.
I will admit to being a revolver guy anyway, so shoot wheel guns very well.

The alloy J can be a handful to shoot and as was said in the old days, should be considered an “experts gun” as they are difficult to shoot well. ( we all pretty much agree advocating an air weight snub as a defense gun for a new shooter, especially a woman is a bad idea)
I am done after about a box to 75 rounds in a practice session. Which is why I practice with a J frame 22 a lot. The 22 is even my drop in my pocket for the walk to the mailbox gun.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I sold my 642 when I bought my LCP years ago.

But this last year I bought a 442 just to have a j-frame.
You never know when it may come in handy.

But to the OP;
I've sold many a firearm without regret.
There was a time in my life when I needed to sell my least favorite to get something else.

The point is of the many I've sold, I've only regretted one or two and I've since replaced them.

Posts: 4411 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've sold many a firearm without regret.

Same here. I've bought and sold guns for the past 30 years. Too many to count.

There's only a small handful I regret selling.

The majority I don't regret.

Now if your J-Frame was a nice Model 36 or 60 that was made in the 70's, I'd say keep it as it would be hard to replace at a good price.

The 642 is easily replaceable, I see them all the time even without the lock.

The 640 would be a little harder to replace but not that hard.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4582 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
For me, J frames are very situational. Where I live, in Carolina, it’s hot as balls most of the year so my J’s get a LOT of pocket carry time in shorts. I do pocket carry a P365 from time to time, but my 642, 638 and 340 weigh significantly less than the loaded P365 (those 6 extra rounds add up) and that makes a big difference for all day pocket carry. I guess what I mean by that is that if I were in your shoes, the 642 would have way more appeal to me than the 640.

I’d keep the 642 for now and consign the 640.

Ditto,

only for me it is a LWS-32 Seecamp , or a vintage S&W Centennial,

never felt outgunned with either

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My only J frame is a model 35-1. A 6" 22-32 kit gun. It is a rare one.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure there is a paragraph in the guns all true gun owners must own in the rule book that clearly states a J-Frame or J-Frame sized substitute is required to be owned by all gun owners etc. etc. penalties etc. Big Grin

In all seriousness. I still think a light J-Frame ‘esqe revolver brings a lot to the table as it pockets and draws better then any auto, ankle carries great and just makes a great “easy to grab” gun so to speak. Definitely an “experts” gun in terms of shooting and practice but still brings a lot to the table.

All that said I just personally have an incredibly hard time selling guns. Let’s just say I will NEVER be mistaken for some kind of shadow FFL. Yes Mr. ATF Agent as a matter of fact I do still have that Ruger I bought 30 years ago and the next one and the next one. Big Grin

I am very organized and my house doesn’t look like a survivalist hoarder’s nightmare but I have a hard time selling good guns but totally understand folks who do. I always just caution to think forward and even though you may not shoot X all the time will you miss just having it. If not trade away.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first off-duty gun I purchased in late '68 or early '69 was a J-frame and up to the mid 2010s a J-frame of some kind (or several of them) rested in my safe, or on my ankle or in my pocket.

Then, along about 2016ish, I bought the Ruger LCR in 38. Then one for my wife who ditched her Smith 22 J-frame, then a three inch LCR. I don't recall how many J-frames I had at the time, prolly only a couple-three, but I sold or traded them away. I also bought a small Kahr 9mm about that time and pretty much ended my love affair with J-frames.

The Rugers all shot well, were just as easy to clean and carry as the J-frames and I never tried to take one apart 'cause it looked a bit daunting.

Still have the first 3 LCRs, but they don't get much use as I have almost completely changed over to semis now.

The LCRs are still part of the family and likely will be till I'm gone. The only Smith I own is the new Bodyguard 2.0 380 which seems to fit in the family quite well, though it's still on probation.

Bob

Posts: 1676 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
They're useful when carrying lite is necessary but awful to shoot but better than nothing if you have the need to defend yourself.

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Own a couple, but the one I carry (when I pocket carry), is a 340m&p. Love that little gun, and Speer short barrel 38+P is an awesome round in it, never going to sell that one.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan to keep my small-frame revolvers, forever. In 2017, at age 56, my right hand aged-out of shooting compact nines. Thumb/wrist/hand arthritis caught up with me.

I can hold HIGH on a small-frame revolver, in a way that almost totally eliminates muzzle flip. I can load milder-velocity .38 ammo, as it becomes necessary. When that becomes too much, well, I have two J-Snubs, chambered for the .32 H&R. I was planning for the long game, when I started buying .32 revolvers, about 20 years ago, in my early forties.

I do, very much, regret having sold several really good J-Frames, in the Nineties. Two S&W Model 60, on 2”, one 3”. Two Models 640, one 2”, the other about 2.5”. One 2” Model 649. I wish I still had all of them. I had no idea how difficult it would become to “re-buy” what I had let get away from me.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3191 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
LCR replaced the J for me. But I still carry a revo. On occasion.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much as I love my 365, I'll never part with my Smith 37-2 or it's 642 brother. Neither have the stupid ILS. The 37-2 was my companion for many days until Smith did that special run of 642s without the lock in 2007 or 2008, I don't remember which. Pocket holster carry if I'm going to the basement of my building to do laundry, taking trash to the dumpster or just walking to the store.

Posts: 4672 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Don't do it!!!!

To be fair, you're talking to the guy who could have a P365 issued to him for free, with ammo, but instead chose to buy a 640 Pro with his own money, then a 642UC, and shoot his own ammo.

I'll admit that the 365 has the edge in capacity, and I probably shoot it a little better than a J-Frame, but for my use-case, the revolver is superior.

For me, a gun that size is a pocket gun. It's either a backup to a bigger gun, or something I'm just going to throw into my gym shorts pocket when I'm lounging around the house. No way in hell am I doing that with a P365. I'd be constantly afraid that something would work its way inside the holster and snag that short, light trigger when I'm busting through undergrowth, fighting with a suspect, wrestling my kids or the dog, crawling around under the car, etc. I live an active life, and while I'd take precautions, sometimes stuff happens and with guns the consequences are permanent. I know the 365 can be had with a manual safety, but that wouldn't make me feel much better, plus I'm not a fan of that manual of arms. The long and heavy (yet smooth) revolver trigger, cylinder that has to rotate, and hammer spring that's at rest until you load it provides a lot of peace of mind.

Also, as a backup gun, if I ever do have to use it things have gone very badly. I'm likely in contact with or even entangled with the bad guy, and I'm a lot more confident in the reliability of my revolver in that situation (especially a snagless Centennial) than a micro-compact semi-auto. The grip shape of the revolver presents itself for a proper grip more easily in a pocket than an auto, and I also find it quicker to grab without accidentally touching the trigger (which is definitely not something I want to do with a 365 near the wedding vegetables).

As to the 640 vs the 642, I like the steel guns for .357 and the airweights for .38. Magnums are not unpleasant out of my 640 Pro, but the 642 is a little lighter to carry. Also, the difference in velocity between the magnums and the specials tends to mean that only one will shoot to the sights on a particular gun, so having one for each allows you to dedicate a gun to an appropriate load. I typically carry the .38 these days but can easily upgrade to the .357 when I want more punch. My 640 has a slightly longer barrel by about 1/4", and that actually makes more difference ballistically than one would think.

The J-frame-sized revolver isn't going to be everybody's favorite range gun, but if you shoot it enough to stay proficient with it, it fills a niche that nothing else does. It's kinda like the 329PD in that regard...you're not going to shoot it every range trip, or carry it every time you go out, but when conditions are appropriate there's nothing else like it.

I'd keep them around, at least for a while, and actively look for situations to carry one. You might be surprised how often that arises.

I've got a few more than this, but these are the ones that get the most use:

I’m not much of a revolver guy, only owned one in my life and wasn’t that big of a fan of it, however, your write up has me thinking there could be a place in my life for one. That was a great write up and I really appreciate the thought, and detail you put into it. Thank you for such a great post.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I carry this every day.

Posts: 2060 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I sold off my on duty BUG (a Model 342 S&W) right after I retired and came to possess a Seecamp LWS .380. Although I kept a S&W Model 640-1 and later bought a bought a Pro-Series of the same model, the size differences/advantages of choosing a 5-shot revolver vs a flatter, lighter, and higher capacity .380 ACP favor the later.

Here's my Seecamp LWS380 (6+1 rds) and Ruger LCP Max (10+1 rds) .380 ACPs shown in comparison with S&W J-frame revolvers.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I’m not much of a revolver guy, only owned one in my life and wasn’t that big of a fan of it, however, your write up has me thinking there could be a place in my life for one. That was a great write up and I really appreciate the thought, and detail you put into it. Thank you for such a great post.

They're definitely an acquired taste, require a good deal of practice, and fill a very specific role. But in that role they're pretty awesome.

Part of my issue with the micro-autos is the size of my hands, which is obviously specific to me, so you might not have that problem. And I can't argue that a Seecamp, P32, or LCP doesn't conceal better and reload faster.

The reliability thing kind of applies across the board, though. I was just reminded this week about an incident a couple of years back that a friend and coworker of mine survived because the bad guy pushed a Ruger LCP out of battery while he was trying to shoot her during a ground fight over the gun. Excellent outcome in that particular case, but I definitely don't want my gun doing that.

Posts: 9242 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Have you been able to try pocket carry with the 365 yet?

I stuffed one in a Nemisis holster a few times and did not enjoy it. I prefer to wear loose fitting clothes but not baggie. Still, it's too large for jeans pockets and edc pants like 5.11 or vertx. It's just too big and I lose a pocket that I prefer to carry cash and keys in. Getting in and out is more work than I want to have to deal with if something happens that I have to pull a gun out.

My 365 sits in a safe but the 365 xl is carried daily on my hip.

Instead, I bought a beretta 32 for my pocket, and while it fits much better, it still sucks to have to draw from a pocket.

I want to buy one of those ruger lcp in 9mm and see if that is a better solution.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4882 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Ironmike57 - I have the very same pistol. When I bought it years ago, it was dubbed "the ugly duckling" of J-frames. It shoots accurately and has that recessed hammer should one want to go single-action! Great gun!!!!

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post