SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking of getting rid of my j-frames
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of getting rid of my j-frames Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So I've got 2 j-frames, both pre-lock; a 642 in .38 and a 640-1 in .357. I have not carried either in years. Only been pocket carried in those situations where it was the only thing practical.

I bought a Sig P365 with the intent on pocket carrying it. Well over a year later, never pocket carried it, but belt carried and it's kind of replaced my Colt Defender in an EDC role. It's bigger, has better sights and I shoot it way better than a j-frame.

So when considering thinning out the herd, thinking it's time to get a pocket holster for the 365 and put the j-frames on consignment. They're just not something I carry anymore and thinking I really don't have a practical use for them any longer.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11888 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
For me, J frames are very situational. Where I live, in Carolina, it’s hot as balls most of the year so my J’s get a LOT of pocket carry time in shorts. I do pocket carry a P365 from time to time, but my 642, 638 and 340 weigh significantly less than the loaded P365 (those 6 extra rounds add up) and that makes a big difference for all day pocket carry. I guess what I mean by that is that if I were in your shoes, the 642 would have way more appeal to me than the 640.

I’d keep the 642 for now and consign the 640.

Posts: 349 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ooh, how can you give up .357? Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If you don't want them anymore, sell them. I'd at least keep the 642. put it in your coat pocket as a backup. Or just play detective with it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-lock 642, I agree with Storming on keeping that. I carry my 642 with the Speer Gold Dot 135-grain Short barrel load as a back up sometimes to my P365X. It also carries nicely in a bathrobe pocket.

Why a second gun? I've handed it to others who were capable but didn't have a weapon a time or two. And sometimes, a pistol will go down and pulling out a second one keeps one going. There are times you have to send one to the shop and it helps to have another. Then, sometimes a primary can get taken from you at a crime scene or by some "authorities" that think it's a good idea. That happened to me once many years ago, and it wasn't the happiest experience. However, I remained alive and safe. I had a 642 when I finally got to return home. Being defanged, feeling vulnerable and hunted: I wouldn't wish that on any honest person.

Posts: 43 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my J-Frames.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not recall if I mentioned it to you but my son and his wife are now your neighbors. Renting a house in town.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Ooh, how can you give up .357? Wink

It's not like I don't have 7 other .357 revolvers...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11888 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I understand where you're coming from. I just got back into J Frames - but I live in CA where it's hot in the summer, and it is a very unfriendly gun state. Thew revolver is a lot less controversial for carry here.

That all being said, the 640-1 is the only one I shoot with any amount of rounds. I only practice with my 442 with caution. I have arthritis in my gun had and the 442 leaves me with days of pain. If I had to use it, I can get those five rounds and a reload downrange...but practicing is hard.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Don't do it!!!!

To be fair, you're talking to the guy who could have a P365 issued to him for free, with ammo, but instead chose to buy a 640 Pro with his own money, then a 642UC, and shoot his own ammo.

I'll admit that the 365 has the edge in capacity, and I probably shoot it a little better than a J-Frame, but for my use-case, the revolver is superior.

For me, a gun that size is a pocket gun. It's either a backup to a bigger gun, or something I'm just going to throw into my gym shorts pocket when I'm lounging around the house. No way in hell am I doing that with a P365. I'd be constantly afraid that something would work its way inside the holster and snag that short, light trigger when I'm busting through undergrowth, fighting with a suspect, wrestling my kids or the dog, crawling around under the car, etc. I live an active life, and while I'd take precautions, sometimes stuff happens and with guns the consequences are permanent. I know the 365 can be had with a manual safety, but that wouldn't make me feel much better, plus I'm not a fan of that manual of arms. The long and heavy (yet smooth) revolver trigger, cylinder that has to rotate, and hammer spring that's at rest until you load it provides a lot of peace of mind.

Also, as a backup gun, if I ever do have to use it things have gone very badly. I'm likely in contact with or even entangled with the bad guy, and I'm a lot more confident in the reliability of my revolver in that situation (especially a snagless Centennial) than a micro-compact semi-auto. The grip shape of the revolver presents itself for a proper grip more easily in a pocket than an auto, and I also find it quicker to grab without accidentally touching the trigger (which is definitely not something I want to do with a 365 near the wedding vegetables).

As to the 640 vs the 642, I like the steel guns for .357 and the airweights for .38. Magnums are not unpleasant out of my 640 Pro, but the 642 is a little lighter to carry. Also, the difference in velocity between the magnums and the specials tends to mean that only one will shoot to the sights on a particular gun, so having one for each allows you to dedicate a gun to an appropriate load. I typically carry the .38 these days but can easily upgrade to the .357 when I want more punch. My 640 has a slightly longer barrel by about 1/4", and that actually makes more difference ballistically than one would think.

The J-frame-sized revolver isn't going to be everybody's favorite range gun, but if you shoot it enough to stay proficient with it, it fills a niche that nothing else does. It's kinda like the 329PD in that regard...you're not going to shoot it every range trip, or carry it every time you go out, but when conditions are appropriate there's nothing else like it.

I'd keep them around, at least for a while, and actively look for situations to carry one. You might be surprised how often that arises.

I've got a few more than this, but these are the ones that get the most use:

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I dumped my 442 last year, consigned it at my LGS, I figured it would sit for 6 months, it was gone in a few days. Cool gun, but I had zero use for it, and it ultimately collected dust in safe.

It was one of the casualties of the great safe cleaning of '23.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I got rid of all of mine except for a 642 that I still occasionally toss in my pocket when I do yardwork and a very nice early 637 that I have an inexplicable sentimental attachment to. I never carry it. I never shoot it. I often forget it exits in the safe, but every time I pull it out and think "time to flip this" I end up cleaning and oiling it and putting it back.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's very hard to beat a J for pocket carry. You can't beat it with a stick.

For a bug, some call it a New York Reload:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-10-new-york-reload/

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep adding J frames. Up to eight at the present. Still looking for a couple of more. My two most carried are a 640, belt, 642, pocket, with a speed strip or two for a reload. For me, they carry well, I shoot them well, and are very dependable.

Posts: 67 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot of sage advice in this thread. You should strongly reconsider getting rid of a J frame if it’s your only one. I sold off a few but replaced them K6xs’ and a LCR in 327 Federal. There’s a time and place for small revolvers. Never leave home without one Wink

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold off all mine a couple years ago and regret it. There have been many times I wish I had held onto my 640.

Posts: 569 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar boat.

I have pre-lock 442, and never carry it and rarely shoot it.

One one hand, its not being used and could easily be replaced if I sold it.

On another, it's a J-Frame and everyone should have a J-Frame.

For now it sits in my safe for that day when I might need it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4582 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I live it’s hot or warm almost always. I wear shorts and t shirt 300+ days a year. So my situation is reversed. I need a lighter weight gun and I end up carrying my 642 90% of the time and my 365 when it’s a bit cooler. Doesn’t mean I’m keen to remove any of the other 100 handguns in the collection.

Carry load is gold dot 135 grain short barrel .38

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would at least keep one of them, preferably to me, the 640. I have a few J frames and use them for home defense and keep them in a few places. I had one years ago and it was such a nice shooter but sold it for whatever I got next sadly. A shop I frequent has a few new and used J frames in their cases and they sometimes sit a while unless they are marked kind of low. I was able to pick up a slightly used/like new 442 with Crimson Trace grips for only $300 a couple months ago. Resale on guns now it seems is on the low side and you might regret selling them at a low price.

With that said, being that you have other .357 revolvers, keeping a gun you have no use/desire for would be grounds for selling it or trading it for something you do want.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was able to pick up a slightly used/like new 442 with Crimson Trace grips for only $300 a couple months ago.

Dang. Wish I could find that deal locally. I don't even need the crimson trace grips. I've got a titanium cylinder sitting in a box right now and have been looking for a cheap centennial to put it in to make an uber-lightweight pocket .38.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post