SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NIB Glock failures...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIB Glock failures... Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

Started a new post, as this is a different topic from the one "carry your pistol without testing" topic...

A reader asked what had happened and why when I told of three failures of three NIB Glock pistols in the past year.

The pistols in question where a G43, a G19 (fifth gen), and a G19X. Failures where identical, that being failure to eject or feed, while firing the first magazine through the new Glock Pistols. All pistols where new, had been cleaned prior, and used new Glock magazines. Ammunition was new 115 gr FMJ Seller & Bellot that has been flawless in all my other 9mm pistols.

The stoppages where always on the second or third round fired and never repeated themselves in the hand guns. Go figure. This is another reason to always test fire any weapon prior to carrying it on duty/for self-defense. Those three handguns have never had another stoppage in over a year and have been shot a considerable amount. Say about 500 rounds each.

Note: I'm not a Glock basher/hater. I have several and consider them decent handguns, but not perfect.

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That seems like an odd coincidence for a mechanical issue, for all three to exhibit the same issue with the first magazine that aren't later repeated at all.

Any chance it was shooter error (e.g. limp-wristing a new pistol with a stiff recoil spring)?

But yes, all firearms should be thoroughly tested before relying on them for serious use. That goes for all life-saving equipment. Even the best gun maker (or any type of maker) has the potential of producing the occasional lemon. And minute differences in feed angles, recoil springs, and ammo design can render certain otherwise reliable designs less reliable with certain types of ammo.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead on, Wes.

It's beyond foolish to throw ammo in any firearm and just start carrying it for self defense.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That seems like an odd coincidence, for all three to exhibit issues with the first magazine that aren't repeated.

Any chance it was shooter error (e.g. limp-wristing a new pistol)?

This. A buddy of mine picked up a Gen4 G26 a few years back and at the first range outing was experiencing failures to cycle completely. I could see the excessive muzzle flip from the side. I dumped two mags rapid fire and after he tightened up his grip, problem gone.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Dead on, Wes.

It's beyond foolish to throw ammo in any firearm and just start carrying it for self defense.

There isn’t a firearm made that I would carry without testing. There are firearms I could be PRESSED into carrying through exigent circumstances but ONLY through the most dire needs and those models are few and far between.

Glock 17
Beretta 92
USP .45
SIG P226

These are really all that come to mind as the guns I would GAMBLE on given absolute need to and they would still be a gamble and would be thoroughly tested at first chance.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I've been shooting Glocks for years and "limp wristing" has never been an issue. If it where, why only during the first magazines fired? On the other hand anything is possible...

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the detailed follow up post

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Dead on, Wes.

There isn’t a firearm made that I would carry without testing. There are firearms I could be PRESSED into carrying through exigent circumstances but ONLY through the most dire needs and those models are few and far between.

Glock 17
Beretta 92
USP .45
SIG P226

These are really all that come to mind as the guns I would GAMBLE on given absolute need to and they would still be a gamble and would be thoroughly tested at first chance.

I’d carry a ruger revolver without testing it if I had to.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
Gents,

I've been shooting Glocks for years and "limp wristing" has never been an issue. If it where, why only during the first magazines fired? On the other hand anything is possible...

Wes

Wild guess. Maybe when you took them apart to clean them, you didn’t put the recoils spring assembly in the right notch but after it choked/ and a few rounds, it popped into the right notch.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If I had to carry a gun untested, it wouldn't be w/ 115gr.
I'll go one further and not test it w/ 115gr. either.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
The common thread seems to be the shooter and the fact that they were all “cleaned” beforehand.

If three separate NIB Glocks failed, with different shooters, that’s something. But when three Glocks, treated identically (cleaned) and shot by the same person all fail, then the point of commonality probably isn’t the gun.

Note: I mentioned “probably”, I’m not discounting that you hit the unlucky Glock lottery.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably the S+B ammo. They're known for having very hard primers. Also, I've found their 115 grain FMJ to be loaded a little on the weaker side of the scale........ironically their .158 grain .357 magnum is loaded pretty stout. Could also be if you lubed them with grease instead of oil, it might slow the slide velocity down just enough if they're fresh out of the factory with slide/frame clearances etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's probably the S+B ammo. They're known for having very hard primers. Also, I've found their 115 grain FMJ to be loaded a little on the weaker side of the scale........ironically their .158 grain .357 magnum is loaded pretty stout. Could also be if you lubed them with grease instead of oil, it might slow the slide velocity down just enough if they're fresh out of the factory with slide/frame clearances etc.

Yep. My guess as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, are the Glocks US made or from Austria ?

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

So, I'm the problem? I'm 69, a certified instructor for the NRA and State of Oregon. Our duty weapon has been the Glock 22 and I'm very familiar with the take down of the Glock...

Why hasn't the issue manifest itself again as I clean/maintain the pistols. Sorry, I just can't buy that.

The simple fact is that we'll never really know the cause. It's proof positive that we should load and test all our new firearms. I test mine after maintenance, too...never an issue then.

I'm going to consider this a dead issue unless someone wants to do some more testing...;-)

Wes

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
Gents,

So, I'm the problem? I'm 69, a certified instructor for the NRA and State of Oregon. Our duty weapon has been the Glock 22 and I'm very familiar with the take down of the Glock...

Why hasn't the issue manifest itself again as I clean/maintain the pistols. Sorry, I just can't buy that.

The simple fact is that we'll never really know the cause. It's proof positive that we should load and test all our new firearms. I test mine after maintenance, too...never an issue then.

I'm going to consider this a dead issue unless someone wants to do some more testing...;-)

Wes

Send me a new Glock and ammo I'll do some testing Big Grin

While I've never had issues with any of my many Glocks new out of the box, Ive never used 115 gr ammo as the initial stuff to shoot out of it. I always use 124 or 147 first.
I'd never take a new gun and start to carry it with out testing it either.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the ammo more than the guns.

I've had bad luck with S&B ammo over the years. When I worked in a shop part time many years ago the owner stopped carrying S&B ammo due to customer complaints.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The only squib I’ve ever had was with S&B ammo. 9mm round went halfway down the barrel in a Ruger P94. Drove it out with a brass punch. I doubt it’s a problem with the Glocks.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’d carry a ruger revolver without testing it if I had to.

That goes with anything. If you had to.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with my current duty weapon. We were in the process of switching everyone over and I got complacent. I grabbed my new duty gun, loaded it up without cleaning and stuck it in my holster. The day got away from me and I never shot it. A few days later I went to shoot it and it locked up after a few rounds. I ended up smacking the front of the gun on the floor a few times to get it to unlock. Inspect clean lube and no more issues after.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post