SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buffalo Bore in P365?- Updated decision in OP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Bore in P365?- Updated decision in OP Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I are planning a trip to Glacier NP next Fall and I'm thinking having bear spray plus a firearm on hikes would be prudent. Nothing crazy in the backcountry, but not in sight of the parking lot either.

My usual CCW/travel pistol is a P365XL. Obviously not my first choice for bear, but very discreet and the chances of firing it in anger are close to zero.

Of course, if I'm going to use it, I'd want to function test the ammo. I'd imagine it would beat up a polymer frame after a while, but would you be worried about a couple mags?

Update: After doing a bit of reading/watching about the reliability issues that the Sig XTEN seems to have with Buffalo Bore and other heavy cast bullets, I've decided to stick with the old school S&W 686 with 180gr Buffalo Bore.

We'll both carry bear spray as well. I'm sure there would be some explaining to do if any shots were actually fired.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MNSIG,

Posts: 8981 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
If you're carrying for protection from two legged animals, I'd carry your P365XL with whatever Defensive Load you'd normally carry.

I you're intending to carry for protection from four legged animals, you'd likely be severely under-gunned with a 9mm P365. I'd carry something in .357 Magnum at minimum, but certainly larger is better here! I would also have NO concerns about open carry either, and would use a Kenai Chest Rig [Gunighters Inc] to carry whatever firearm I deemed appropriate. If you feel you must be discreet, a Hill People Gear Kit Bag would foot the bill nicely, and provide easy access to your firearm if needed.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^Good advice. Something like a 357 or bigger will likely be at least somewhat effective on both 2 and 4 legged creatures. The 9mm is, IMHO, less effective effective than a good bear spray. Of course, I've never been attacked by a bear.

Posts: 17181 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I don’t see any problems shooting the BB 9mm Outdoorsman hardcast 147 +P loads out of your 365.

I’ve shot the Outdoorsman loads in 9, 40, and 45acp out of my Glocks as chest guns for fly fishing and all was good.

Obviously function check your load of choice but at 1100fps for the 147 load I’m sure you will be fine.

ETA- I did notice the heavy loaded bullet weights printed slightly higher point of impact.

Posts: 3561 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely carry a bigger gun if you can but if you can’t, I read about a fishing guide up in Alaska that killed a bear with a compact 9mm with hard cast loads. But I think he got lucky, still better than nothing. But I’d def. Carry the biggest gun you have with hard cast no matter what caliber it is. I have a G20 just for this kinda thing and I still wish I could have a rifle

Posts: 3378 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That was Phil Shoemaker, if memory serves.

Yes:

https://www.americanhunter.org...zly-with-9mm-pistol/

Posts: 27022 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
9x19 is a really bad choice for your trip.

Time to re-think this.

Posts: 424 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:

Time to re-think this.

If Glacier was our only destination and we were spending 2 weeks hiking, I'd agree. I'd be taking one of my M29s. In reality, this will be a multi state road trip with hiking in Glacier about 3 half days. My selection will be a compromise. I could consider my G27 or SP101, but not sure that really moves the needle. Neither is a 375 H&H M70.

Posts: 8981 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Time to re-think this.

If Glacier was our only destination and we were spending 2 weeks hiking, I'd agree. I'd be taking one of my M29s. In reality, this will be a multi state road trip with hiking in Glacier about 3 half days. My selection will be a compromise. I could consider my G27 or SP101, but not sure that really moves the needle. Neither is a 375 H&H M70.

For years my G27 was used in exactly the same roll you describe in the OP, doing double duty as a CCW and hiking gun. I use the 200gr hardcast. Yes there are far better choices I own but the convenience was a good solution.

Posts: 3561 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live and play in Griz country and am in the woods alone at least 3-days/week. I have had my share of bear encounters over time.

There are a ton of “better” choices than a 9mm, but situational awareness is the best defense available. I have lots of “bear” guns big and small, but find a G19 or G20 in my holster 95% of the time. Use the 365 and have a great time; that is incredible country.

Posts: 24 | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTOH: This could be the perfect excuse to buy a 10mm P220. Razz

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Don't rule out the P320 X-TEN Comp! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I almost went that route, but then I decided 2x the ammo in the gun vs a bear would be best so I went with a G20 and I love it

Posts: 3378 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.357 or 10mm. In my opinion if you have to use a 9mm to kill a bear you are likely going to get hurt yourself in the process.

Posts: 142 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

I almost went that route, but then I decided 2x the ammo in the gun vs a bear would be best so I went with a G20 and I love it

No way I can comfortably grip a G20/G21 without a hand transplant. I owned a G20SF many years ago and traded it.

The P320 with a 15 round mag is intriguing. I have a full size and compact in 9mm. I believe the 10/45 take different grip modules. Is that correct?

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Try some of the outdoors 9mm, and see how quickly you can get hits on target. Compare it to some Underwood Lehigh penetrators. I don’t have a 365, but I bet +P 147gr is a stout load out of it.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I'll bet it is pretty nasty. I'm beginning to lean toward a little bigger pistol with longer sight radius. Not sure if I'll look at 10mm or just heavy loads in 40 S&W. Even if not as powerful on paper, I think I'd prefer 15 rounds of 40 vs 6 of 357. The chances of missing a charging bear seem quite high, so more ammo is better.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Glad to read you're re-thinking this.

Posts: 424 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad to read you're re-thinking this.

I did some reading on the laws in MT (Glacier) and WY (Grand Teton) and it looks like there is no prohibition on open carry. That makes the size of the pistol less relevant. I'm sure some tree huggers you encounter on the trail would give a disapproving scowl, but oh well.

posted Hide Post
Update in OP