SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ... Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
This revolver was in the case at the LGS, being sold from a collection.

The tag said " Never Fired" but not box or documents.

I snapped it up, because I've wanted a 6" blue steel /walnut .38 Special for target shooting.

But when I got it home and cooled off the fever, it truly looks unfired.

No wear or marks on the metal or wood.

I think the serial# is 9XXXXX with a "B'" under that.

Should I shoot it a lot, or would that be a travesty?

Edited to add: I think its a fifth issue, made between 1953 - 1969.

Edited again to add: It has the firing pin hammer, so it is an "I" frame? Silver medallion, not gold, and all polished blue metal surfaces rather than 'two toned" as described in the linked video.

http://www.coltfever.com/Officer_s_Model.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESgEjZ5CfDU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Shoot it!

Enjoy it!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
go to Colt's website and check the serial number,
that will give you a date if needed,

meanwhile,

some good quality wadcutters, and a target at 25 yrd and 50yrds, and have fun

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to fondle it a lot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is short shoot it. With care a gun shot a lot ( in this case 148 target wadcutters, don’t clean it excessively. It will look minty for a long time. I used to live in an area with a lot of bullseye target shooters. Most of the guns looked like new because they only got carried in a box to and from the range sat on a towel on the firing line and shot with light loads. They last forever that way.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful!

I'd shoot the snot out of it.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
It is possible that if unfired, it might be worth enough to a collector to get you something else you really want or maybe 2 things.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Python Fever seems not to have struck other E and I frame Colts. Shoot and enjoy. I have read that Colts were popular with target shooters because of their ease of cocking vs Smith. I don't see it myself, but I am not a bullseye shooter.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Unless it's extraordinarily valuable, I would shoot it and enjoy.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Whether it's valuable or not, wadcutters and good care.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one just like it, S/N 93xxxx, circa 1967. Mine is pretty nice, but not unfired. It is a great shooting gun.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. That's what it's for.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favourite revolvers. Congrats on a great snag! I'd recommend not firing it if it is in fact as such, and look for another shooter. Fantastic gun!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A shootable classic!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice unit.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are very nice revolvers. Nice E/I frame and yours appears to have the target grips and Hammer. They are NOT way up in the collector's firmament w/out box, papers, etc.. I enjoy mine often w/ coated 158 gr semi wadcutters. Had it out Monday, matter of fact. Blued steel, walnut grips, hand finished fitting, what is not to like? Take good decent care of the thing and it will shed very little value. It's a high condition shooter, not a collectors piece.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
This is one of my favourite revolvers. Congrats on a great snag! I'd recommend not firing it if it is in fact as such, and look for another shooter. Fantastic gun!

-Bruce

Mine too. I have two 38 OMM and two 22 OMM. Back when I was training hard in Olympic shooting (early 1970s) I had a 38 OMM in a practice 10 shot slowfire (50 yards offhand) score of 97-8x. The 8x were the first 8 shots all inside the X ring. Then I scoped. Head games set in, then shot a 9 and a 8.
That was a single action only OMM. Wish I still had it. Here are the two 38 OMM I have now.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Shoot that wonderful revolver!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post