SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need Opinions...1911 Purchase Related
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Opinions...1911 Purchase Related Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I currently do NOT own a 1911, but have been looking at them quite a bit and drooling a lot! Yes, I have the 1911 bug. I have looked at everything from a Rugers to Dan Wessons to Les Baer/Wilson Combat/Ed Brown and everything in between. I have no desire for the bottom barrel Asian or South American made 1911s, but want a solid shooter, preferably without a cheese grater rail. I keep coming back to Ed Brown's I can afford if they are used and I have no problem buying a high quality used firearm. This will mainly be a range gun for me until I am proficient enough to carry one.

I have a line on a few listed below:
Ruger 1911 $650-ish
Sig 1911...used stupid cheap, less than a Ruger, but with cheese grater rail
Springfield RO or Operator...thinking around $900
S&W E Series...$900-$1200
Dan Wesson Valkarie, 4.25" barrel...under $1K
Ed Brown...multiple ranging from $1K-$1500 used
Les Baer...$1200-$1500 used

All the guns are used except for maybe the Ruger. Price is not a huge driver for me, but it becomes hard for me to justify spending a dime more than $1500 if they all shoot similar. One thing I find confusing are all the variants, hard to know everything about every model out there.

What would you recommend?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson Valor if you can find one.
DW makes the best out of the box production 1911.
Ed Brown, Nighthawk, STI, Wilson brings you into the custom, semi production manufacture.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Springfield Range Operator 1911. I am happy with it. Reliability seems to be an issue with some of these guns. It was a whole different training program for me, having shot DA/SA and striker in the past. Primarily it is a range toy. It is not practical for me to carry. Wesson does make a nice 1911.
{I bought the Springfield well before the controversy}

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger 1911 in 10mm and it is a gem! Good trigger, scary accurate, 100% reliable. Love it!

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I got the 1911 bug a few months back a 1911 aficionado friend of mine recommended the Ruger SR1911 as a good, solid, economical choice. Among my criteria was a degree of economic sensitivity. If I'd been able to go a bit higher, he likes Dan Wessons. Beyond that, of course, you have the Ed Browns and Les Baers.

In the end a LGS had a used, but unfired Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced which cost me a bit over $600 out the door. Fit, finish and function were, and remain, nearly flawless. It turned out to be my absolutely best shooter, far and away.

I liked it so well that, when the opportunity presented itself, I acquired a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. That, too, shoots for me better than any of my similarly-sized pistols. It is now my go to EDC.

My next 1911, and there will be at least one more, will be a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield Trophy Match (bought 2010) and an MC Operator (bought 2014). These 1911s have been fantastic for me, no problems since I've owned them.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If you can get an Ed brown for $1000 you are stealing from someone

Go look at Brown’s website....you pretty much are starting at $3200

Unless it’s REALLY used that is a tremendous value

And if you don’t want it, post where Ed browns are that price for the rest of us Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ This. I would take the Brown for that price range. On a normal day, I would say Dan Wesson for the sub $1500 gun. Rugers shoot well enough if budget is your primary concern. Springfield is nice too, but for the difference you show would either do the Wesson or Brown.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2751 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the ones you listed, I would probably go with the DW, but the Springfield RO would probably do just as well.

I really like the Ed Brown guns, but new ones are just too far beyond what I could possibly save up for. Plus, for that price, I could probably have a custom gunsmith build me exactly what I want. A used one in the $1,000-1,500 range? Assuming it was in a configuration I wanted, and it was in good shape, I could go for that.

Personally, though, if I were going to get another 1911, I would probably get the Colt Series 70 reissue Government Model as I've found myself becoming more drawn towards a more traditional configuration. Plus, from what I've read, the current Colt 1911s are being built on new machinery so the quality is quite high. I've even thought about having my custom 1911 rebuilt to such a set up.

Anyways, just wanted to muddy the waters for you a bit. Wink

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP. Series 70, no rail, and excellent Pete Single 25 lpi checkering. I am really pleased with it!

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Les Bear or Ed Brown

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump on the Ed Brown. If you buy a normal production one (Colt, Rugar etc.) you will always have the Brown in your mind and end up buying one anyways. I absolutely love my Ed Brown Kobra s/s 5". It's my favorite and in 1911's I currently own: 1 S+W, 3 Colts, Ed Brown, and a Wilson Combat. The Wilson has a great trigger and accuracy, equal to the brown or a slight edge, but the Brown just feels better shooting it.

I'd either go with a Colt Competition and be happy in the $850 range, or straight to the Brown...….But you'll end up with a Brown eventually anyways.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My affection for the 1911 started late. My father had me convinced that the .45 1911 he was familiar with from WW2, he was a very young teen born in Germany during the war, were crap.

So I believed they were crap as well. Fast forward to about 5 years ago and I wanted a .45 to complement my Sig 229 in .357sig.

So what did I buy?

A Sig 1911 fastback carry of course. She shots very well and I now had the bug. My next one took a long time to save for and I bought an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. That gun is incredible and is my daily carry.

If you can find an Ed Brown at the price you mentioned, BUY IT, and you won't regret it whatsoever.

Posts: 3737 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I have owned or do own most of the 1911's on your list. Dan Wesson would be my choice. Simply outstanding in every way...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been eying a new Dan Wesson Valkyrie on GB from twogunjay for $1000. Already have a CCO that was well worth the $1100 I paid.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you could find a Series 1 Kimber, I would seriously consider one of them. I have one and it is a fine weapon. I bought mine used for $330.

Posts: 12477 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Colts including a 70 Series Gold Cup. I find my Ruger to be quite capable.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I would jump on a Ed Brown in that price range.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
If you could find a Series 1 Kimber, I would seriously consider one of them. I have one and it is a fine weapon.

My EDC. Bought it for $600 out the door the first production year. Over 35,000 rounds through it and other than springs and replacing the plastic backstrap and a broken safety lever - you can't make it rattle. Tossed on some Trijicons. Shooting 2 liter bottles at 100 yards offhand was nice to be able to do. Best $600 I ever spent.

Picked up a Springfield TRP. Nice shooter, but the front strap checkering is a bit aggressive. Then a Springfield Loaded I'm putting into the rotation. Still breaking it in to give the Kimber some relief. 27 years of service is a record for me. Prior to that it was 13 years with a 4" .357, and I thought that was a love affair made in heaven.

There are a handful of suggestions in this thread by others who know what they are talking about. Ed Brown, Les Baer and Wiley Clapp are what I'll be looking at when I decide to move up the food chain.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post