SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What and how does your wife carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What and how does your wife carry? Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Wife rotates between a P365 and a LCP. She will either carry iwb in a kydex holster or purse carry.

Daughter has a ccw purse and carries a p365 as well.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a CCW and the handgun she chose is a Ruger LCR .38 Special with green fiber optic front sight. It's loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135-grain +P. In the few times that she carried, she did so in a "Gun Totin' Mamas" purse and a fanny pack, both with holsters velcroed to the interior.

Bad news is, she doesn't carry anymore, even after saying she would following an incident at a local park a few years ago. She's one of those people who knows the danger, but just doesn't want to be burdened with being reminded of it, which to her, the gun does.

I've taught concealed carry classes for 20 years, and I can't tell you how many women didn't want to be there and were forced by their husbands or were just trying to keep the marital peace.

I'm not telling you that to discourage you, but I just want you to be ready for potential pushback unless she has already expressed interest. If your wife genuinely wants to carry, you are a lucky man. Make the most of it. My advice is to take her to the LGS and let her pick out the quality handgun that she likes, not the one some gun shop commando picks for her. Make sure it has a large enough grip, good sights, and a decent trigger, in a solid caliber like 9mm. I'd then recommend a "women's only" training course for beginners and let her rock and roll with like-minded ladies.

If she doesn't want to carry a handgun, I wouldn't force her. She might resent you for it, or do it for all the wrong reasons. If she doesn't want to carry a handgun, consider Top Cop OC pepper spray from ALS. It works, and she may carry OC pepper spray when she won't carry a gun. Good luck!

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity: My advice is to take her to the LGS and let her pick out the quality handgun that she likes, not the one some gun shop commando picks for her. Make sure it has a large enough grip, good sights, and a decent trigger, in a solid caliber like 9mm.

Mrs. 'Hook knew her way around pistols and could shoot quite well before I met her. 15 years ago, after taking her CHL (now LTC) class in Texas, she picked out a 9mm compact to carry in a carry purse. She was very accurate with this pistol and initially carried it on a consistent basis. But after awhile it became too heavy to carry in the purse, yada, yada, yada. Now, if she carries at all it's reduced to a S&W 642 with no speed strips or speed reloader.

Decisions like these do not make sense to guys like us, but I'm willing to bet this is not uncommon. So be ready to wrap your head around the decisions she'll make about what to carry, and how often. Just keep in mind that carrying something is better than carrying nothing.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCR .38 spcl W/crimson trace laser grips.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Colt Detective Special

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post