SIGforum
Next 1911

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1020053624

June 26, 2017, 01:13 PM
AllenInAR
Next 1911
I love my Ruger LW Commander, but now I want a all stainless Commander. Anyone care to recommend a "mid-level" (if you want to call the Ruger an "entry-level") Commander for EDC? I keep seeing these Wiley Clapp Colt Commanders....I'd be swapping the sights out for some Novaks and replacing the grips if I got one of those. What's their story?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
June 26, 2017, 01:33 PM
CQB60
The only one I could recommend is the one you already own! I actually traded my Ruger commander for the LW variant and am glad I did.

June 26, 2017, 04:09 PM
bcjwriter
I love mine and if you can find one, I like the XSE Combat Commander...

They discontinued them, but I've enjoyed mine...

June 26, 2017, 05:07 PM
David Lee
I wouldn't rule out Springfield Armory if they make a stainless Commander. They build a quality pistol for the money.
June 26, 2017, 05:18 PM
P320Mac
People with a more slight build from most who shoot pistol really love the Colt LW Commander in 9mm (P/N/ O4842XE). I have found that using stock recoil springs, the recoil is actually less than PPQ-M2 with same ammo. I have also seen that with only customary trigger work, the LW will shoot well significantly lighter loads. (OK for Bullseye competition)

My experience with the very good Ruger 1911 is that something inside is different from an absolutely standard 1911 having to do with the trigger (the part your finger touches). One MUST use a trigger having an overtravel screw or undesirable things happen. Ruger uses a faster twist barrel. After the customary work needed by all 1911 pistols (well, perhaps selling for under $1000) both a Colt LW and the Ruger LW will do well for almost everyone - with a nod to the Colt.

Note: weight comparison between M&P 9mm 4.25" M2.0 and Colt LW Commander in 9MM - Colt is about 77 grams more heavy.

Mac in Michigan
June 26, 2017, 05:36 PM
Floyd D. Barber
Ruger stainless CMD,

Colt stainless CMD.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

June 26, 2017, 06:04 PM
Maestro
The Smith and Wesson scandium commander 1911s are awesome!

June 26, 2017, 06:39 PM
rbert0005
Dan Wesson

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
June 26, 2017, 08:20 PM
jbcummings
+1 on the Dan Wesson.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
June 26, 2017, 08:38 PM
P-220
I have been watching some Colt XSE Commanders, but they have an aluminum frame.

In .38 Super, they are bringing some incredible prices.

Just something about a Colt, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
June 27, 2017, 09:23 PM
Cobra21
I don't think you would be disappointed with Dan Wesson.

Risk the consequences of honesty...
June 27, 2017, 10:29 PM
zdog16
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
People with a more slight build from most who shoot pistol really love the Colt LW Commander in 9mm (P/N/ O4842XE). I have found that using stock recoil springs, the recoil is actually less than PPQ-M2 with same ammo. I have also seen that with only customary trigger work, the LW will shoot well significantly lighter loads. (OK for Bullseye competition)

My experience with the very good Ruger 1911 is that something inside is different from an absolutely standard 1911 having to do with the trigger (the part your finger touches). One MUST use a trigger having an overtravel screw or undesirable things happen. Ruger uses a faster twist barrel. After the customary work needed by all 1911 pistols (well, perhaps selling for under $1000) both a Colt LW and the Ruger LW will do well for almost everyone - with a nod to the Colt.

Note: weight comparison between M&P 9mm 4.25" M2.0 and Colt LW Commander in 9MM - Colt is about 77 grams more heavy.

What in the hell are you talking about? The Ruger 1911 is about as good a clone of a series 70 1911 as can be. Clone meaning nearly exact. Not meaning to be confrontational but huh? Just to not cause confusion I own 2 Ruger's, 2 Springfield's and a Nighthawk. No longer own half a dozen other 1911's. So, HUH???

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

June 28, 2017, 08:48 PM
AllenInAR
Hmmm....I think my frugal side is going to win. I believe the 6702 Ruger will be next, then I'm gonna get some stainless parts and swap out the black stuff. Big Grin

June 30, 2017, 01:26 PM
AllenInAR
Or, I will throw reason to the wind and get the Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander......because Colt 1911. Razz Pics in a week or so.